6th Officer Moody's body

A

Ada Johnstone

Micheal,Inger-
Does not local boys/men from Scarborough have a race cup name after James Moody? I'm not confedant,but correct?

Bruce Moody

Bruce Moody

I've been wondering, was James Paul Moody's body ever recovered? (by recovered I mean actually identified as being his body).

JP's body was never recovered, although that didn't stop the White Star Line from writing the family asking for money to recover and return the remains! (see attached letter) The family had a gravestone put up in Dean Road Cemetery in Scarborough in memory.

CJ Moody letter CJ Moody letter 2
CJ Moody letter
CJ Moody letter 2

I've been wondering, was James Paul Moody's body ever recovered? (by recovered I mean actually identified as being his body).

J

Jay Roches

Bruce Moody, are you a relative of Titanic's Sixth Officer? It's not a common name -- and I find it fascinating that the internet has allowed many relatives of people involved in the Titanic disaster to make their stories known. We have lost something now that there are no living survivors, but there are still many people whose family histories involve Titanic. This forum, especially, can help those people fill in gaps in their stories.

I do think that letter from White Star is rather cold. They could afford a ship costing 1.5 million 1912 pounds, but when asked to help a family bring James Moody's remains transported from Halifax (if they had found them) to England, they couldn't spare the cost. (At least, I've just learned, the crew were paid for the time they spent away from home.) It must have taken quite some gall to demand £20 (£2000 in today's money is a conservative estimate) and to offer a photograph as alternative compensation for having a family member buried on the other side of the ocean. Perhaps I can see why White Star need not have covered funeral expenses, but, as a shipping company, they at least could have paid for the repatriation of remains.

I feel like Bruce Ismay should have been chastised for allowing his company -- to which he literally owed his life -- to behave this way, instead of his bbeing pilloried for taking an empty seat in a lifeboat.

Steven Christian

Steven Christian

It is cold and other things White Star and associated businesses did. Unfortunately it still goes on to this day. I recently ran into a situation that was just as bad. But to be fair to White Star and others it was pretty much the norm. Sometimes it was just the bean counters following their list of rules and not going outside the box when decency demanded it.