90th Anniversary and New James Moody Memorial

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
As I think I've mentioned in the past, there have been plans afoot for some time to erect a new memorial to James Moody in his birthplace, Scarborough.

Thanks to the energy and talents of the Friends of HMS Conway (Moody trained in HMS Conway for his career in the mercantile marine), this plan has now come to fruition. The plaque will be unveiled this Sunday at the Life Boat House in Scarborough.

I can think of no more appropriate body to organise this memorial, nor location to place it than in the Life Boat House - an institution dedicated to saving lives. How fitting that on the 90th Anniversary of the disaster the Sixth Officer's heroism and dedication to duty should be commemorated by Conway's Old Boys in the town where he was born, and for which he always cherished an affection.

In the words of the Conway Motto that Moody embodied: Quit Ye Like Men, Be Strong.

C

Cassandra Crowther

Dear Inger,

This is wonderful news! I've always hoped that Mr. Moody would, at some point, be remembered. From what I read, he was a hero indeed that night and in giving his place to Mr. Lowe, he gave his life so that another might live.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Yes, a very appropriate memorial indeed, Cassandra. I'll see what I can do about photographs, Bill.

Jun 18, 2007
I knew it! I should have come to Scarborough a month later! Then, I could have seen this!!!!

Oh, but it's a wonderful and grand moment!!!
happy.gif

Dec 8, 2000
Thanks for that news, Inger.

Given the time and effort you and Kerri put in all those years ago (both in finding the family memorial and trying to get it restored) you must be particularly pleased that James Moody is being formally commemorated by an organisation that knew him best and has remembered him these 90 years.
quote:

"In the words of the Conway Motto that Moody embodied: Quit Ye Like Men, Be Strong. "
Moody did his training proud - as did another old Conway boy, Arthur Rostron.

Looking forward to your post on the event itself,
F​

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Kritina - Yes, a great pity you missed it! But at least you've seen the Lifeboat House where it will be placed.

Fi, you'll be delighted to know that the Conways will be bringing the Moody Memorial Cup to the event. You're correct that Rostron is another connection, and they remember his contribution to saving lives with pride as well, a remembrance both in the aftermath of the disaster and today. Moody made many friends while in the Ship, and wrote of her with both pride and affection.

The Conways maintained - and maintain to this day, although the insitution closed its doors for the last time in the 1970s - a network of fellowship that endured throughout their lives and through the far flung reaches of the world where their careers in the Royal and Merchant Navies took them. They remember the many sacrifices that Conways made both in war and in peace, and the individuals who gave their lives in the service of others. Their commemoration of James Moody's life is a continuation of this longstanding recognition of the work and sacrifices of old Conways.

~ Ing

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Bright, clear if rather cold day in Yorkshire, with throngs of people walking through the old town, down the steep cobblestone streets, through the carnival-like atmosphere by the waterfront and the donkey rides and games on the beach.

With less than two hours sleep, I tried with futile optimism to make the train connections between Southampton and Yorkshire that would get me to the lunch the Conways were hosting — no luck there, of course. I arrived with 15 minutes to spare before the unveiling ceremony, made my way to the lifeboat house and thought I could hover unobtrusively in the background and take a few photos. I had reckoned without the Old Conways, however, who, whilst mentioning the invited guests, found that I had finally made it after all and slipped to the back of the room — I was called to take my seat in the front row, feeling both acutely embarrassed and deeply honoured. The organisers of this remarkable event have been entirely too generous about my role in assisting to bring the memorial into existence (not a case of ‘doth protest too much’ — I certainly wish I could take the credit they gave me!).

The ceremony itself was brief, beautiful and elegant. The Conways and his family spoke about James Moody’s life, his career, his connection with HMS Conway and why, 90 years ago, that life came to an end in the mid-Atlantic as this 24 year old man struggled to save as many lives as possible in the time that was given to him. With three generations of his family present, the memorial was unveiled.

I’ll try to post pictures of the plaque here in the next few days, but as it was polished to such a high gleam they may not show it to the best advantage. The words are a summation of Moody’s too-brief life, his role in the disaster, and a remembrance of HMS Conway. Particularly appropriate is the inclusion of the words on his mother’s headstone commemorating his life and loss ‘Greater love hath no man than this…’ Both the Conway crest and motto and the White Star Line burgee are depicted.

There could be no more fitting event to mark the 90th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic than this simple, dignified and inexpressibly poignant event.

C

Christine Geyer

The plaque looks great and I'm so glad to see it. A great tribute to James. And I truly think you deserve their appreciation exactly like it was given to you, Inger !! Stop understating !

"To Jaaaaames" (*raisingherglass*) {clipart}thumbup

Christine

Charmaine Sia

Nov 25, 2001
The plague looks beautiful and fitting for Moody. It's good to see that all this work has paid off, and that Moody's due credit is acknowledged.

Charmaine

Jun 18, 2007
Jemma, toasting is essential for such an occasion as this!
happy.gif

BTW, if you swing by the Red Lion anytime soon, could you tell me if the cat-in-residence is still there? This little cat has become semi-legendary to someone I know!

J

Jemma Hyder

Kritina if you only knew how many times we had toasted Jack and James and Harold and everybody else under the sun this weekend lol.
was there not too long ago and that cat is certainly still pottering about sounds like it's making a name for herself!

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Thanks for posting that, Phil. I tried every angle, both with and without flash, but it's just too polished. There were some other shots that turned out marginally better but have very clear, distracting reflections of people. I'll no doubt be up there again soon, and hopefully there will be fewer people milling around and I can try and get a better photo. The Lifeboat House is pretty much in the centre of action on the foreshore, and is often open to the public to wander in and out (I often pop in to buy something at the shop to support the RNLI).

I think Christine and I started the toasts the night before we travelled down to Southampton, and once we met up with Jemma the momentum just got stronger on that front!

Pat Cook

Apr 27, 2000
You wuz missed after you left us, m'dear. Especially on our afternoon jaunt into Soton to see the Southwestern Hotel and the Grapes.

Warmest regards, as always,
Cook

Jun 18, 2007
See, see, I miss all the good stuff!!!!!

Drat the timing of the universe, I get to miss out on everything! BAH!!!!!!
happy.gif

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Cook, this was the only conceivable event that could have dragged me away early from the Convention (nothing else on earth but a new James Moody memorial could have induced me to leave you lot). Got the dish from Christine when she got in late on Sunday night, and have been hearing bits and bobs ever since! I'm particularly sorry that I didn't get a chance to say goodbye to Rose Ann.

Next time we meet up I'll show you the photos of the actual unveiling. Christine, we need to incorporate a trip up to Scarbro' for your next UK trip (in addition to adding on a couple of nights at the Hilton!).

~ Ing