90th Anniversary and New James Moody Memorial

Ian Bland

May 31, 2009
Inger

Well done. I will pop over and have a look at the plaque in the next few weeks. Sorry I didn't get to speak to you in Southampton. You were busy speaking to someone and when I looked again you were gone. We had to leave on Saturday. I'm tired of that journey, as I did it two weekends running! Perhaps we can chat at some point?

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
G'day Ian!

I feel dreadful that I missed chatting with you - I was just playing catch-up with a bloke I haven't seen in a year when I caught sight of you and we exchanged a brief hallo, and then you disappeared (or I did - it's a bit of a blur).

I have some news on one of our joint projects (which you may have already heard), so will hopefully chat with you during the week.

~ Ing

Dec 2, 2000
Inger,
Thanks for the background here on the Conways and also the information on the plaque, plus the photo. It and your words are truly beautiful and fitting. And while yes, you may not have taken the plaque via ox cart 10000 miles or chiseled a single letter into that plague personally, just seeing what you do here for others to make things happen, I know that there was a tremendous presence by you in every detail that took place. That is just you. So you do not see the greatness of what you have done. Kinda like the subject you study!

Maureen.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Ta Maureen - I'm afraid I'm as graceless and awkward in accepting a compliment as I am in trying to hide my tall frame at the back of a public function! But I do appreciate your words.

There's a chap by the name of George Brown who deserves the real credit here - after I drew the Conway's attention to it and did some media about it in Yorkshire, he went and investigated the condition of Moody's mother's headstone. He too was disturbed by the vandalisation that has occured in the cemetary, and the damage done to the marker. He's the one who did all the hard work in spearheading the efforts by the Conways to achieve recognition of James Moody's life and death in the town where he was born.

I have a tremendous admiration for people who make things happen rather than sit around and talk about what could/should be done - the Conways, many of whom have the instinct of leadership strong in them due to training, career experience and innate ability, are among the achievers of the world.

John Masefield (of 'Sea Fever' fame) was another old Conway, going through the Ship about a decade before Moody. Among several poems he wrote about HMS Conway is the following:

The Conway's Word to the Newcomer

Here you will put off childhood and be free
Of England's oldest guild: here your right hand
Is the Ship's right, for service at command;
Your left may save your carcase from the sea.
Here you will leap to orders instantly
And murmer afterwards, when you disband
Here you will polish brass and scrub with sand,
And know as little leisure as the bee.

Here you are taught Sea Truth, to eat hard bread,
To suffer with rigid upper lip,
And live by Look-Out, Latitude and Lead.

Here you are linked with Sailors, who abide
The Tempest and the turning of the tide,
Disaster and the sinking of the ship.

Dec 2, 2000
Well, thank you so much George Brown for your heart to help. And thanks again Inger. The Conway's Word To The Newcomer was great to see.

Thanks for your hearts to share with us.
Maureen.

C

Cassandra Crowther

That is a lovely and fitting memorial to Mr. Moody. Thank you for sharing with us.