94th Anniversary of the Sinking Of The Titanic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 26, 1999
I am really surprised that there aren't more posts and comments concerning the anniversary day of the Titanic disaster. The only thing I have read are the posts in the Lost and Saved heading.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Perhaps it has something to do with this being the Easter Weekend and people in the U.S.A. trying to deal with their tax returns at the last possible moment.

I was mindful of it of course. (Who in our group wouldn't be?) I'm watching the shows on the Discovery Channel including that one on the Berg what done the foul deed that has been the subject of some interest recently. It wasn't all that bad.

D

Donna Grizzle

I as well was glued to the telly every chance I got yesterday watching all the shows on Discovery Channel. Saw a couple good programs I hadn't seen before but missed the one I had wanted to see most, "Titanic-Birth of a Legend". All because I had to make a darn chocolate cheesecake for Easter dessert! Did get to see the amazing footage of the turkish baths once again on "Last Mysteries..." though. Incredible!

I think it's pretty safe to say we were all thinking of Titanic yesterday, and by that I mean, more than we NORMALLY think about it!

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Last night at the Queen Mary they had an observance dinner. The menu was taken from the Third Class menu of the Titanic.

Before dinner we were given our passes to the Titanic Exhibition. One of the organizers from Premier Exhibitions gave a brief speech, first.

My Exhibit passenger card was for Hudson J.C. Allison, which I thought appropriate, as my ET name is hjca.

After dinner Don Lynch spoke about what it was like in Third Class on Titanic. Then a group of musicians entertained us with Irish music.

There were about 70 people in attendance, and everyone seemed to have a good time. It was decided to do the Titanic Anniversary dinner every year on or around April 15th.

T. Eric Brown

Jun 5, 2005
I brought it up at around 3:00 in the morning yesterday on a thread in the Collision and Sinking Theories section. I just happened to look at my computer's clock a half hour earlier and remembered that Titanic had sunk exactly 94 years ago almost to the minute. I may have been the first one to bring it up. I missed the Discovery Channel shows. Story of my life: I've missed too many of the recent ones, it's kind of depressing.

It's hard to believe that Titanic sank six years shy of a century ago. Even more amazing is that Titanic's hypnotic lure seems to grow stronger each day. That lure still draws people in by the thousands. I can't think of any other historical event that's captivated so many people over so many years as the story of the Titanic has.

Sep 26, 1999
John, it sounds like you had a wonderful time. I hope one day to get out to the Queen Mary. The only ocean liner I have ever got to see was the United States oceanliner. I think the way you celebrated was very interesting.

Don Tweed

May 5, 2002
I to was glued to the telly. I liked seeing Parks, Don and Ken telling Cameron what to look for. When I see the dials set on the Marconi in the wireless room it always gets me. Did you see Cameron refer to Jack Phillips as John Phillips?
The story of the berth of the berg was very interesting also.
I wonder with technology advancing so quickly if soon they could have a "wireless" ROV? Even a ROV the size of a cell phone! Imagine the places they could get into!
Thinking out loud, Don

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I wonder with technology advancing so quickly if soon they could have a "wireless" ROV? Even a ROV the size of a cell phone! Imagine the places they could get into!<<

A development like that would solve a lot of problems. Unfortunately radio waves and light don't do to well in water. They do even less well when there's a big mass of steel between the transmitting device and the reciever.

Don Tweed

May 5, 2002
Thanks Michael for the info. Not to get off subject, this should probably be under the salvage heading, but when the time comes that Titanic does collapse on herself, is there a chance they could salvage some of the 30 foot steel plates from the starboard bow section and determine the actual damage? I saw a docu. on teevee a little while back where a group went into the debris field and found a big piece of the bottom that went from one bilge keel to the other. Does this in any way prove that she may have also bottomed out on the berg?
Thinking out loud, Don

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I doubt it. The fatal damage is well below the mudline and getting to it would involve not only digging down to get to it (NOT happening with existing technical means!) but in your scenerio, getting past several hundred tonnes of collpased debris.

D

Deleted member 173198

I've decided to take on a challenge and read two books at once. The first I'm re-reading is Titanic Voices again. I am more or less half way through but the amount of errors I'm finding, especially over the Relief Fund, is nobody's business.

The other title came all the way from South Australia. Dave Gittins new e-book which I have to say, I have thoroughly enjoyed. Two more chapters to finish and I've done.

John Clifford, your special evening do sounded quite memorable.

Otherwise 'yes' I have spared a thought to those who perished and survived that ordeal of 1912.

Andrew W.

S

sharon rutman

The only anniversary that will truly matter is the centennial in 2012.

May 13, 2006
On sale at numerous auction sites are memorabilia for the 85th and so on anniversaries of the disaster. These can fetch large summs of money and they have been increasing in value. The centennial in 2012 will I suspect change all that and their value after that will diminish, except where there something extra added such as a signature.

I mean who in say 2010 onwards will want 80th memorabilia? The centennial will be the ones to keep long term.

C

Catherine Tolson

Cobh in Ireland remembers the Titanic.
Saturday 15th April a series of activities were held to mark the 94th Anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic. all ages took part in the event.
Cobh hosts a Musuem and Heritage Trail for the Titanic, I made a visit last year and found the infomation and displays brilliant . Regards Katy

Status
Not open for further replies.