95th Anniversary 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 27, 2003
Sunday morning 15th April 2007 saw over 450 people attend a very good open air service in memory of all those lost on the RMS Titanic.
Led by the Mayor of Soutampton and a Brass band a very emotive service was held.
In attendance there were very many relatives of those who perished.
The picture below was taken this morning showing the 16 wreaths and several bunches of flowers.
Regards

Brian

Apr 27, 2003
I try again

ebay_040.jpg

John Creamer

Nov 7, 2003
Thanks Brian. If you visited the memorial this morning, did you see any flowers or wreaths from the British Titanic Society? I was in attendance at yesterday's service, and although I saw wreaths from various organisations, including the Titanic Heritage people & the Nomadic Preservation Society, there was nothing from the BTS. It was very disappointing to see the society had not made arrangements, considering the importance of the occasion. A few members also commented about this. If you hear anything Brian pls let me know.

Regards, John

S

stephen booth

Re the wreaths etc they looked wonderful.In addition i would like to say that for a 1st attempt I think Southampton city council deserve a collective pat on the back for the time effort and money that has been committed to the period 7 - 15 April. After many many years of having abuse thrown at them for not getting involved and supporting Titanic events in the city it is good to see a rolling programme coming into place leading upto 2012. The White Star Line exhibition held in the old law court building was considered to be well recieved with 4000 visitors over the 9 days it was open and the Maritime museum was opened on the 13 April with visitors waiting round the block for access . The service as has been mentioned elsewhere was well organised and recieved and the open air shipping collectors market was also deemed to be a success by 90% of the traders .Special mention must also go to all the lecturers who were invited by the city who gave interesting and new angled lectures on the theme of Titanic with special consideration to the social and economic impact the disaster had on the town as it then was and of course the widows and orphans of those lost. The building blocks for next year are being put in place with a meeting being held on Thursday 19 April 2007 with a european exhibition company and already a private individual with an astonishing family collection very close to the heart of WSL has been approached with a view to loaning some material for next years exhibition .From a personal angle i was so pleased the rain dance performed in certain areas of the city did not pay off and an awful lot of humble pie will have to be eaten by those who said "waste of time" , "nobody will come " , "it will rain" etc etc .If you came thank you !!! .If you missed it make plans for next year .

Apr 27, 2003
John - I checked all the labels on the wreaths this morning and sadly there appeared to be was nothing at all from the British Titanic Society -I also checked the Crew memorial at Holyrood Church but again nothing.
Brian

Apr 27, 2003
Stephen - thanks for that very good report and yes it was ''well done'' to all concerned.
In addition to the events on offer was a guided walk round the Old Common Cemetery, the Common, Southampton - it also proved to be overwhelmingly popular.
Organised by Friends Of Southampton Old Cemetery, FSOC the walks were well advertised and vastly oversubscribed - they had to double the number of walks to accommodate everyone. The tour consisted of visiting many of the 49 Titanic related graves in the cemetery. Little Posies of red and white flowers were made by one of the ladies and put on all 49 graves - it was very emotive and touching with the guide telling the details and stories of each person.
It was very well done and appreciated by all.
It is hoped that it will become a yearly event.
Cheers Brian

Feb 7, 2005
Whoever did the website did a wonderful job! Very nicely done. I only wish there were more captions with the names of those in the pictures. That aside, I'm very impressed with the site--and how quickly someone got it up for all to see! From the pictures and descriptions it sounds like it was a very well-organized and successful weekend.

Congratulations to everyone involved with the 95th anniversary gathering in Southampton!

Denise

J

João Carlos Pereira Martins

Although I could not attend any commemoration events usually held in Britain I could not pass yesterday without a personal three minute silence rememberance for those 1500 unfortunate souls that perished in the icy Atlantic waters.

"Quando um navio colide com uma rocha, é a Natureza. Quando é atingido por um torpedo, é a guerra. Mas quando mil e quinhentas pessoas morrem só porque ní£o havia botes suficientes para as salvar, bem, nesse caso, é estupidez!"

Best wishes,
João

Apr 2, 2007
Great pictures and the lectures sounded very interesting. I'm planning to be in southampton for the 100th anniversary, hopefully anyway.

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
I attended the Southampton event, and I was very touched. When "Nearer My God To Thee" was played, I was really struggling to hold back the tears. Having a TV camera pointed directly at you (I can imagine the headline: "For some, the emotions were just too strong") made this all the more difficult!

Four members of the BTS (at least) were there. There may have been others, but the same four were in evidence in the lectures etc.. They didn't lay a wreath, which I thought was, well, despicable, actually. The Nomadic Preservation Society laid a wreath; the Hampshire Constabulary, Associated British Ports, Liverpool city council etc. sent some flowers...even the descendants of engineer Bertie Jupe laid some flowers. But nothing from the BTS. I suppose they were enjoying Halifax too much. The same four BTS members were in the row of front of me and Carly during the Saturday lectures.

By the way, if you've seen the Titanic Voices exhibit at the maritime museum, DON'T wate your time and money going to see the "new" exhibit. Its just Voices re-packages with a few new surprises. For instance, did you know the Titanic struck the berg on SATURDAY April 14th? I didn't!

Having said that, the new edition of the Titanic Voices book is well worth buying, with the audio-visual DVD and some new material.

Paul

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
Despite the above, I really enjoyed the event. I spent £210 on wonderful arts prints from Messrs.Wilkinson and Fisher (Carpathia, Britannic, Titanic and Olympic).

John Creamer

Nov 7, 2003
"They didn't lay a wreath, which I thought was, well, despicable, actually."

I agree entirely, Paul. However, it is the officers who hold the purse-strings, not the members. I know there used to be a separate fund within the society for flowers and wreaths. I am a BTS member and I naturally assumed provision was made for Sunday's memorial service given its importance.

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
What did other BTS members think about the lack of flowers?

Hopefully we will be back in Soton next year. We had a lovely time and the weather was great. It was also great to see the Uni again (where I did my undergrad degree). It has changed immensely in 14 years!

Paul

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
Incidentally, (in case anyone is interested), on the 16th, after all the hubbub had died away, I spent a wonderful few hours in the Guildhall library. It is a wonderful, possibly barely touched Titanic resource, and I found some very interesting information on 1912 Southampton's opinion of the Gigantic/Britannic debate. More later hopefully!

Paul

John Creamer

Nov 7, 2003
Well, firstly I would like to say that in my estimation there were probably more BTS members in Southampton over the anniversary weekend than in any other place. But in answer to your question, Paul, the comments I heard were ones of anger and disgust at the British Titanic Society for not at least contacting one of these members to organise flowers, and for them to be laid at the Engineers Memorial. I’m currently wondering what’s the point of belonging to a society that cannot even remember, or even be bothered, to make a show at such an important civic occasion. As you said previously, “I suppose they were enjoying Halifax too much.”

I would like to echo Steve Booths earlier point; Southampton Council did a splendid job to make the whole weekend, ‘one to remember.’ It’s just a pity that I and a number of others from the BTS were let down by our own society...

Regards,

Aug 29, 2000
Wonderful photo layout at the link above. It appears that everything was so well-organized. Congratulations to the event planners- it takes a lot of hard work to have everything run so smoothly. Impressive!

Status
Not open for further replies.