97 Years "DEAD AHEAD"

ash briers

May 1, 2008
hi all, just posting this as it was around exactly 97 years since the men in the crows nest spotted the dreaded iceberg, being the anniversary you can just imagine what exact people were doing at this time all those years ago. just wanted to know your thoughts about the anniversary..

Jun 13, 2006
It's very sobering to think back to what happened tonight 97 years ago.

I have often thought of the survivors in the boats listening to the cries from those in the water, and how they must have been in total, deep shock as just six short hours before they had been having the time of their lives, and now they had been quite literally plunged into the darkest depths of hell.

Rest in peace to our beautiful but psychotic Titanic and the 1500 odd men, women and children who were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time.

In loving memory, Rich.

ash briers

May 1, 2008
i second that, i've fallen asleep the past 5 nights from april 10th thinking about what the passengers were doing, well i suppose around 1 0r more deck would be under water now wouldn't it?

Cody Gentry

Feb 6, 2008
Ash, I've done the same as you wondering about passengers, the time and such. 6:40 Pacific time tonight will be the same exact time when the lookouts spotted the iceberg and the Ship commenced its convergence with the iceberg 97 years ealier. 9:18 the great Titan would have broken its back and by 9:20 - 97 years previous - a dream, an era, and a broken ego will have passed beneath the waves, leaving 1,505 left to die in the freezing North Atlantic.

ash briers

May 1, 2008
well i suppose by now (12:26 GMT) she would have gone, on a new journey 2 and a half miles down. i keep looking at my clock and thinking what would be happening at that time all those years ago.... it actually feels like it's happening now, to be honest. well thats another year gone i suppose 3 more years on, from this night shall be a century since the disaster, just think...

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I posted this in the news stories I have running in Other Ships and Shipwrecks but you might find this little gem from The Maritime Global Net to be interesting. See http://www.mglobal.com/news/dailystorydetails.cfm?storyid=9817&type=2

It's ironic that it should come out today of all days. Between Titanic, encore performances in the Antarctic and Tax Day, April 15th seems to be the day for disasters that leave you cold!

Cody Gentry

Feb 6, 2008
Michael, that is quite ironic isn't it?

>> April 15th seems to be the day for disasters that leave you cold! <<

You're a firecracker.
happy.gif

Sam Brannigan

Feb 24, 2007
Today is also the 20th anniversary of the horrendous tragedy at Hillsborough in Sheffield, when 96 Liverpool FC supporters were crushed to death.

May 1, 2004
I shudder thinking about it. It's so scary to think how joy and excitement of returning home or going to a new land turned so suddenly into horror and tragedy. Not just the Titanic, but the ship is a symbol of sudden turmoil. I compare other disasters to it.

H

Holly Peterson

In loving memory of the 1, 496 innocent men, women and children who needlessly perished one cold, dark night in the North Atlantic ... 97 years ago.

Sometime in the early morning, I'm not sure when, I awoke suddenly and sat bolt upright in bed. I wasn't dreaming about the Titanic or anything. But when I woke up, I had the strongest urge to go to the clock in my parents' room and see if it was 2:20 a.m. Unfortunately I fell back to sleep.

I've been wondering how to treat this very solemn day. I was just thinking about treating it like any other ordinary day, but somehow it doesn't feel right to just ignore the fact that so many died for no reason that one night. After all, this is the date that our entire site revolves around. Do any of you feel compelled to do something to commemorate the Titanic's passengers on this day, or am I overreacting?

Apr 13, 2006
For those of you who haven't seen the entries on the FindAGrave website here are some links:

Mount Olivet Cemetery
Halifax
Nova Scotia, Canada

Fairview Cemetery
Halifax
Nova Scotia, Canada

And individually:

RIP

Jan 29, 2001
Thank you for the links Arlene, I was unaware of such a site. I was especially taken by the Thomas Andrews page...rest in peace with the others...our long lost heros...

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

Erin Hopkins

Apr 11, 2009
It is a very sobering thought. It especially makes you think when you look at the human aspect. Everyone there was someone's son or daughter, someone's friend, someone's relative. And many of them were cut down before their prime.

I never quite know how to act during that day. I often feel like I should go into mourning for that day.

I pray that they all rest in peace.