A Big Shindig in Topeka KS on December 3rd through the 7th

Erik Wood

Apr 10, 2001
A very rainy good morning to all,

As some know and some don't I am in the process of writing a book. Thus far it has taken me about a year to get to my current state. I am now seeking peer review.

Now keep in mind that this is a very technical book and will involve mostly technical aspects. If you wish to attend be for warned that the third is a travel day. I can pick up about 5 + luggage from KC international airport and haul them to Topeka and back. The first day of actual research/jaw flapping will be the 4th. My intent is to go through the entire scenario as the traditional story played out. Bit by bit take it apart and explain (ask all who attend to fight me every inch of the way) why I don't like it (I even have some proof). I imagine that that could take about a day (with breaks and lunch).

Then I would like to view it my way. Explain why I think certain things (again, expecting to be fought every inch of the way). I think that this could be a great learning experience.

Anyone is welcome. If you can't make it one day but can another and wish to come on in and listen you are more then welcome to. If you need directions let me know. Also my wife may be able to get some good rates on hotel rooms so be sure to let me know if you are planning to attend.

I would be more then happy to answer any questions via email or this thread. I hope to meet alot of you.

Erik

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Assuming...and hoping...my vacation request is approved, I'll be sure to bring along a calculator to deal with the math, the general deck plans I have, and the Inquiry transcripts as well as my copy of Knight's Modern Seamanship. Having been involved in Erik's work, and having seen the material the David Brown and Parks Stephenson have presented in public, I already have a dislike of the traditional sideswipe scenerio.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Erik Wood

Apr 10, 2001
I think that I may get some more plans and have them blownup and laminated so that we can use dry erase on them.

Erik

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Sounds like a good idea there. We should make a point of identifying the bulkheads too, such as which was A, which was B and so on.

I wonder if we can persuade either Roy Mengot or one of the Sauder Brothers to join us?

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Erik Wood

Apr 10, 2001
I am not really familiar with any of them. But if you think they are trustworthy and a good source of information I say spread the word. Dave Brown knows Mr. Mengot so I will talk to him.

Erik

Dec 6, 2000
Roy's a pretty good guy, Erik - I met him at the THS convention in 1997. He has the absolute BEST model of the wreck I've ever seen - far better than the ones I've seen at some museums and exhibits.

I'd like to attend too, just to listen, if nothing else. However, after all my traveling this year, doubt I'll be able to afford it.

Any chance of getting a transcript after the fact?

Dec 6, 2000
Oh, I forgot to say - as far as I know, Roy has some of the deck plans directly from H & W (the larger ones), and knows the ship *real* well.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
A transcript? I don't know if this affair will be quite that formal. Still, if somebody drags a tape recorder along...

Erik, from what I know of Roy Mengot, the man's a streight shooter and as knowladgable about the Titanic as they come. Likewise on Bill and Eric Sauder who rank among the top historians of the trans-Atlantic trade and the ships that were a part of it.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

George Behe

Dec 11, 1999
Mike wrote:

>A transcript? I don't know if this affair will be >quite that formal. Still, if somebody drags a >tape recorder along...

Hi, Mike!

Did you know that Bill Wormstedt has sometimes been known to carry a hidden 'wire' into sensitive discussions like that? (After our recent meeting in Toledo, Bill sent me a transcript of everything I'd said during the get-together -- along with a request for a substantial financial contribution to his retirement fund; he's generously allowing me to send him monthly payments....) :)

All my best,

George

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Sounds like we better dredge up the file kept on good 'ol Bill by the FBI, CIA, KGB, GRU....
proud.gif

Be easier on your 401k that way!

BTW, George, I hope you can get there. (Hell, I hope my vacation request is approved. Kind of dicey in December, but I've put mine in for an odd week that nobody wants.)

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

May 9, 2001
Erik,
Is the meeting limited to only 5 guests?
I'd like to attend, if you think there's room available on the couch. I can bring my own chair!

In all fairness to those more qualified, I have no plans, documents, or rare anything to share. Only my own interest to meet the folks from this board and spend the days talking Titanic and your book. So I won't be offended if you feel like this meeting needs to be limited to more experts and qualified peers.
Just let me know if my presence would be acceptable.

Thanks,
Yuri

Phillip Gowan

Apr 10, 2001
Hey Yuri,
Now that you're in this neck of the woods, you'll have to meet Brian Meister and myself for a marathon Titanic lunch sometime--Columbia is just over an hour from Charlotte and Florence and a good meeting place.

What's your work-week usually like?

Phil

May 9, 2001
Phillip,

I work in an high-tech research and development company in Charlotte. My schedule is usually M-F, 8-5. But I don't have too much trouble taking off if needed.
I'd love to get together sometime. I know Michael Standart also lives near here too, perhaps he'd like to swing by. Just let me know when and where.

Thanks for the invitation!
Yuri

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I wasn't aware that anyone was planning a marathon lunch, but if it's on a weekend and close by, you chaps have my attention. I can manage Saturdays and Sundays. (Don't let my photo on <FONT COLOR="ff0000">America's 10 Most Wanted Dead fool you. I'm really an allright guy.) Erik's little soiree is going to be in Topeka Kansas.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Apr 7, 2001
Guys and Gals,

I am really trying very hard to catch up on the technical aspects of the ship and the disaster, but I am failing miserably. This technical gathering of Erik's sounds like it would solve all my problems of wanting diagrams, wanting explanations and sending tons of emails back and forth between me and Michael Standart. But I can tell you right now I won't be able to attend.
sad.gif
At this time I do not have sufficient vacation time to use and I'm saving the little I have for next year's World Convention in Belfast.

Here's to hoping that one of the attendees wears one of those new pen-size video cameras inside their shirt pocket! Please, may I have a copy of the output?

God I would love to be there to watch the experts in action! ARRGGGhhh
angry.gif

Have a great TT (Technical-Titanic) time everyone.

Sincerely,

Teri

Erik Wood

Apr 10, 2001
Teri,

Suggestion,

Only come for a day or two. You will get plenty of knowledge then. Plus you will be saving time for Belfast.

Erik

Apr 7, 2001
Erik,

Good suggestion.

Gosh, I never had a group of people keep me so busy!

Before I checked my calendar I was hoping your technical gathering would take place over a weekend but found the dates to be Monday through Friday. Darn! I'll have to use up one or two days of my vacation time if I go. Hmmmm, I'll have to see about this...

Thanks for the suggestion, Erik.

Sincerely,

Teri

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Well Teri, you could always call in dead. Trouble is, it only works once!
mad.gif

Seriously, I would love to have a chance to meet you, and I would hope we can get a few others to attend our little affair. I'm hoping by the end of this week to know whether or not my own vacation request was approved.

Don't mind all of the <FONT COLOR="ff0000">SUICIDE BEFOR READING markings on any papers and handouts.
proud.gif

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Apr 7, 2001
Hey Michael,

I've had plenty of practice with the suicide (technical) reading from this Board, my friend! Hah!!

This is what I'm thinking. If Erik could find it in his heart to start the first day of research/review of material say on Monday the 3rd instead of Tuesday the 4th, I could possible fly out Sat or Sun and stay for 2 or three days. I could sit, watch, listen and ask maybe a few questions and then hop back on a plane Monday evening in time to return to work Tuesday morn. I should get most of my Titanic questions answered in that time frame.