A Big Shindig in Topeka KS on December 3rd through the 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erik Wood

Aug 24, 2000
Teri,

For you anything. As the the dude organizing of the get together I hereby move the first day of research up a day. Perhaps then we could end it on Thursday. Just a thought.

Erik

Apr 7, 2001
Erik,

Great for moving the date of research/review up one day! You are so good to me. Okay, I'll begin to put the plans in motion to fly out over the weekend and return Monday night. Will keep you and Michael posted regarding my flight arrangements by private email.

Thanks for re-arranging the research schedule.

Teri

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Ahhh...the 2cnd as the "travel day" as opposed to the 3rd. Well, no problem if my workplace lets me off.

Teri, as just a thought, if you want two really godd references on things nautical, you should get The Oxford Companion To Ships And The Sea as well as Knight's Modern Seamanship, the latter of which is the Bible of seamanship and shiphandling. The latter is rather expensive, but if the information interests you, it's worth every penny. The Oxford book should be readily available at a nearby Barnes& Noble.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Teri, you may not want to wait quite that long. The Oxford title is nowhere near as expensive as Knights ($29.95 + state sanctioned armed robbery...uh...sales tax.) and makes a handy reference encyclopedia for your desktop.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Apr 7, 2001
Michael,

No, I probably won't wait that long to begin studying it. I just fear my eyes will roll back inside my head from trying to figure how everything works together.
crazy.gif

Teri

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
G'day Teri, I think you'll find the book is easy to understand. In regards flight planning, you might well want to hold off on anything until we know Erik can make it. At the very least, make certain it's completely refundable. Erik has just been activated by the Military Sealift Command. They could stand down tommorrow or be engaged for months. In light of the horror of the events in New York and Washington D.C., all bets are off!

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Apr 7, 2001
Michael,

Yes, I may want to hold off on my flight planning, unfortunately. I don't even want to think about Erik not being able to attend, but alas, he has his duties to serve.

Teri

Erik Wood

Aug 24, 2000
Due to the current situation as well as the uncertianty with my schedule I offer the following suggestion.

Rather then in December how about in Febuary or March. This will give us all a little more time to get ourselves together and by then things should be a little closer to normal. Also by then my schedule should be as normal as it gets.

Sorry for the delay in posting this but I was hoping that I was going to be able to keep things as they where. However, things have changed and changed again. I don't want to have somebody make the purchases and then me (your every adoring host) not be able to attend.

As I am the CO of this here operation I consider Mike Standart my XO. So XO at your leisure could you come up with some dates that would work for you. I will then work my schedule around that. I will talk to the Admiral (aka Mrs. Erik D. Wood) and see what she says about possibly going to the Boyer.

Erik

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Erik, I should have some additional vacation time built up by March, so why don't we go for that? As you're the one with the uncertain committments, I'll leave the specific dates to you. (Lonely at the top time again OM!)
proud.gif

It might get a little dicey for me then as this is when business picks up for my workplace, but this should give you maximum lead time and flexibility.

I'll still use the time I put in for in December as it'll be a use or lose situation otherwise.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Dave Hudson

Apr 25, 2001
Hi!
I am definitely interested in going. I have family in KC, so I wouldn't have a problem getting to Topeka. I would have to check, but I may be able to give rides. February 18-22 would be best for me-I have that entire week off already for Pres. Day. Let's get Parks, the Sauders, and Mr. Mengot to come along.

David

Jul 14, 2000
Erik, I'll still try to attend in March next year. BTW, I came this, ><, close to buying my tickets for the December dates about 2 weeks ago. Good thing I waited huh? Look forward to hearing more about your research and the book.

Thanks,
Yuri

Erik Wood

Aug 24, 2000
Things are moving right along Yuri. Dave Hudson you are more then welcome to come as I know that you have a technical interest. As for Parks and others those relations are closer to Dave Brown (who is my cohort in this little thing). Dave and I have been throwing around a lot of good ideas with some good old fashion research. You may get a small glimpse coming soon to a website near you but no promises.

XO (Mike) the Febuarary dates would work for me. How about you?? If you think it feasiable lets get things in motion. I was also thinking of reworking the schedule of events that need to take place. Perhaps shortening the overall project to just a couple of days (2) of actual group discussion. What do you think?? I know that we have quite a largoe amount to discuss and most of it involves taking plans out and things of that nature.

I REALLY WANT TO GET THIS TO HAPPEN.

Erik (CO)

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
ERIK:I think I could make February work. I don't know how much we could accomplish in a couple of days, but anything is better then nothing. (Let me know what materials you need me to bring...like my inquiry transcripts. They're going to be a must have I'm sure.)I just need firm dates so I can get my time set aside and my reservations in.

Suggestion; we need to get things more active in our little technical folder so our core group is up to speed on the latest developments in what you're thinking.

DAVID: I would never use tomatos. Hand grenades are more my style!
proud.gif

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Mar 18, 2000
Hey, tomatoes! Is this an invite for George and I, since we've had practice? :)

Re: bringing the Inquiry transcripts. If someone has a laptop, I suggest bringing the online versions. I find it far easier to find things electronically than by eye. Not too mention, my copy of the British is a 'real' bad xerox.

George Behe

Dec 11, 1999
Beefsteaks. Always rely on beefsteaks. They're soft, but not so soft that they fall apart in one's hand during the throw. Beefsteaks have a pleasant consistency, too, and they cling to the target in a pleasing manner until they've been wiped away. The juice stains clothing, and the seeds find their way into odd corners of the target's apparel. In short, no part of the tomato is wasted. (I'm sure Bill Wormstedt and Dan Cherry -- and especially Dave Brown -- will vouch for everything I've said.)

Always go with beefsteaks.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Always go with beefsteaks<<

Only grilled over an open fire with baked potatos and corn on the cob on the side as well as plenty of butter and other fixin's for both. (Give the Center For Science in the Public Interest a heart attack! Heh heh heh.)
mad.gif

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Erik Wood

Aug 24, 2000
I will check on Febuarary. It should work out. For reasons that you will all be privy to in short order I am delaying any kind of public revamp of my ideas mainly because Dave and I have stumbled across a few things that we plan to bring into the public eye. Once that happens most of you will be asking some key questions that I just happen to have the answers to.

So for the time being just hold onto your pants. Things are going a higher rate of speed. I will set a date and get it out to the public within the week. Then I will pass on information such as picking people up and what they should bring. That kind of thing.

Erik

Status
Not open for further replies.