A Call For Extras From Darlow Smithson Productions

Status
Not open for further replies.

J Kent Layton

Mar 27, 2004
New York, United States
Darlow Smithson Productions, which is doing a documentary about the sinking of the Titanic has contacted me again with an urgent plea for assistance from anyone who would like to be an extra in their production. Below you will find the direct call for assistance as forwarded to me by the show's producer:

---------------------------------------

Darlow Smithson Productions (UK) on behalf of NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC INTERNATIONAL are looking for extras for a Titanic documentary being shot aboard the Queen Mary, Long Beach, California.

The dates for filming are 27, 28 Feb and 1 Mar. We would ask anyone with an interest in the Titanic and some free time on any of these days to contact [email protected] for more details.

Please note, Tuesday the 28th involves filming the abandonships after dark and, therefore, after work — so if you can’t make any other time, perhaps you can make this.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

----------------------------------------

Please contact Mr. Johonnett in order to participate in this project.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Mr. Layton, I live in Southern Californin.
Unfortunately I will not be able to take part in the filming this documentary, as I will be on the Queen Mary 2, heading to Hawaii.

With your permission, I know two Internet-based mailing lists, also related to the Titanic, where your message can be posted. There you may find others able and willing to take part in the documentary.

J Kent Layton

Mar 27, 2004
New York, United States
Dear Mr. Clifford,

Thank you for your response; I have not posted at the THS Message Board because they do not like this sort of thing going on their board.

If you are aware of other boards or mailing lists that may be interested in this, feel free to copy the entire content of my original post and send it out.

I would also love to know where it goes, so that I don't double-post anywhere, so please forward me the locations of the posts.

Thank you again for your assistance.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Mr Layton, I will copy this information to two Discussion Lists tonight, as I am at work right now.

The two Lists are not affiliated with any Titanic Society. These lists are simply messages posted to the registered emails of the Members.

The official word will go out sometime around 9:00 PM Pacific Standard Time.

K

Kevin Saucier

I live about 7 miles from the Queen Mary.

I have a day job, so some night shooting might be fun...my family might want to go as well.

Kevin

J Kent Layton

Mar 27, 2004
New York, United States
I'm sure that the Seconds From Disaster team would love to have you guys aboard - that's the series that Darlow Smithson is putting this show together for, by the way.

Just contact the producer via the e-mail address he provided above, and you're on your way.
happy.gif

J Kent Layton

Mar 27, 2004
New York, United States
Brianne,

I don't think you're too late; the filming doesn't start until the 27th (Monday) and wraps on March 1 (Wednesday), according to Mr. Johonnett's message posted above. Just drop him an e-mail at the address in the top post and let them know when you'll be available. I'm sure they'll be happy to have you sign on.

K

Kevin Saucier

Email sent yesterday....waiting for a response. Sounds like fun, we'll see what happens.

B

Brianne O'Brien

Well, unfortunatley I got your reply too late. Just to rub it in, what kind of filming are they going to be doing?

Mar 3, 1998
I just returned home after two (very long) days' worth of filming aboard the Queen Mary for the Titanic installment of the National Geographic Channel's "Seconds From Disaster" series. We couldn't stay for the third day of filming (today), as my kids had to go back to school. I think, though, that we did as much as we could.

It was fun to have the run of the Mary for a couple of days. We filmed in places not normally open to the public (sorry, not the Swimming Pool, though...which I believe is in a dangerous condition) and ended up spooking some of the guests on occasion. Filming yesterday culminated in a lowering of the Mary's demonstration lifeboat just before midnight, but it proved impossible to load anyone aboard (although the director did ask me to climb out over the rail, which immediately brought thoughts of Milton Long to mind).

I was surprised that so few extras showed. There was my party, the friends and relatives of Ken Marschall, David Huffaker and his wife, and only a few others (I apologise if I passed over anyone, but the ones above are the only ones I remember being introduced to). They certainly had room for more. Everyone took turns being different people, just to swell the numbers a bit.

I have been helping the production team these past couple of months, but the real attraction behind this latest Titanic effort is that my wife and kids were able to participate in, and observe first-hand, the making of a film. That's an education that not too many people can enjoy.

Parks

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
This is one instance where I almost regret not living in California. I would have made an effort to show up for this one. I've been impressed with the attention to detail I've seen given to the Seconds From Disaster series.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Parks, I would have signed up, myself. It's a shame that the filming was scheduled for the same week the Queen Mary 2 set sail for Hawaii.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing the documentary when it airs, or else I will ask a friend to tape it, so we can watch it together, sometime.

Parks: I'll have to toast your efforts, this evening; your contributions to this documentary will make it worthwhile.

CHEERS!!

Steve Olguin

Mar 31, 2005
I was supposed to attend, but my timing belt broke on my Honda on the way out to Long Beach... Needless to say, I am very dissapointed I missed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.