A couple of Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nigel Bryant

Jan 14, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
Hi everyone,
I hope everyone is having a great day.I have got a couple of questions.
What was the conduit used on the aft mast on
A-deck. Could it be used to put a canopy up or did it just secure the aft mast, this conduit was not on the Olympic?
It ran from the Second Class Boat-deck to the mast.

On B-deck Second Class covered deck was there a door leading to the Cafe Parisean?

What was the "CLOAK ROOM" and what was it used for? It is located by the stairway going up to the boat-deck just near the base of the third funnel on both port and starboard sides?

Where was the Dark Room located?

Best Regards Nigel Bryant

J

jean leysman

Hi Nigel,

Your second question: no there was no door that connected second class B-deck to he CafZ Parisien.
This place was first class only and there was strict adherence to this policy.

Regards
Jean Leysman

R

Rolf Vonk

Hi there,

You're right Jean, though I understand Nigel's question. I remember seeing a door on some of my Titanic plans, between the second class B-promenade and the Café Parisien. However I can't find it back on the final deckplans, so I guess there wasn't a door in that area on Titanic.

Sincerely,
Rolf

Paul Rogers

Jun 1, 2000
West Sussex, UK
Hi Nigel.

What was the "CLOAK ROOM" and what was it used for?

The normal definition of a cloak room is a place which is used to store coats, hats, etc.

I'm probably being too literal when interpreting your question. In terms of who actually used the cloak rooms, (e.g. crew or passengers), I'd guess the latter because of its location. With regards to what exactly would have been kept there, perhaps rainwear for passengers who wanted to walk around the decks in bad weather?

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Paul.

Oct 28, 2000
Somewhere in the dim past (getting dimmer as I get older) I recall the term "boat cloak" as referring to a wool garment worn at sea to ward off the chill salt air. It would not have been part of a landsman's kit, so might have been provided to first class as a courtesy. My aunt made the Grande Tour in 1948, and I seem to recall that she wore something called a "boat cloak" on the then-active Queen Mary. Of course, memory is fallible, so I can't claim any of this as fact.

--David G. Brown

A

Alessandro Del Gobbo

Hi Nigel,
the dark room was collocated on A-Deck, aft the 1st class Lounge and accessible from a door on the 1st class promenade.
It was on starboard side.
As the cloak room on ADeck, situated on the opposite side, there was a ladder in this room, going up to the boat deck.

Ale

Dan Cherry

Dec 14, 1999
Nigel,
the conduit's function from the boat deck to the aft mast, as far as I know, is as mysterious as the identity of the 'box' outside the starboard side of the 2nd class entrance on the boat deck.
The best pictures of the conduit shows a smaller conduit running up to it from the ceiling of the deck, near the fan rooms inboard of the palm courts.
My uneduated guess is perhaps a conduit for wiring of the aft mast lights, doubling as an access walkway for crew, since below the aft mast is second class space. (The space under the fore mast is crew area, so there'd be room for any wiring and open space for such wiring). Second, and I'm going by memory and no pictures, but I think the Titanic's aft mast ladder went from this conduit to the lamps. My guess is that crew could 'hop the fence' at the end of the boat deck and walk this conduit to the ladder, which would be placed above the reach of passengers for safety sake. However, what would stop a gutsy steerage passenger from running up the ratline ladders connected to the mast?

My .02

Regards,
Dan

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>However, what would stop a gutsy steerage passanger from running up the ratline ladders connected to the mast?<<

Hi Dan, I would hope good common sense would be an ample deterrant, that and a healthy fear of hights. Barring that, anybody trying to go up that way could hardly avoid being noticed by somebody on the bridge. Said idiot would be run off by the crew in very short order.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Dave Hudson

Apr 25, 2001
Dan,

If a gutsy steerage passenger wanted to get into 1st Class, there were many other easier (and safer) ways. They could hop the gate to B Deck on the stern and climb a ladder to A Deck. Of course, they always could take Scotland Road.

I'm confused about the gates that I mentioned above. Several 3rd Class passengers said that they couldn't reach the upper decks because they were locked. These gates were about 3 feet tall. Why didn't the passengers just jump the gate? It would have been fairly easy for anyone taller than Minime.

Poor Minime, no one remembered to let him out of the overhead storage bin.

Let us observe a moment of silence for Minime.

David.

Status
Not open for further replies.