A&E's Death of a Dream/Legend Lives on

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
I watched the A&E 1994 Titanic documentary “The Legend Lives On” It was really good! It’s split up into two parts. I think the regulars and folks older than me will remember this one.

PART I
Initial reaction to the sinking of the Titanic. It opens with a wireless set signaling in Morse, and a voice reading a Message: “We have Titanic, signaling about striking an Iceberg. Am Not sure if it is really the Titanic. R.M.S Olympic.” Another voice begins reading another message: “C.Q.D. Requires assistance. Says ‘give position.’ Cannot hear Me. [I can barely understand the man here] Then another man cuts in, reading the tail end of a message “-West, M.G.Y. Titanic. Needs immediate Assistance! -SS. Caronia.” These scenes are on read on a beautiful sunset, and a windy beach.
Then the narrator begins. The first part is essentially the impact, the news, and aftermath of Titanic’s sinking. The panic, disbelief. Survivors narrate part of the Time, and historians, like Ken Marschall, come and talk for bits. The music is very nice. Photographs are used of the victims. Eva Hart talks, Don Lynch. I really like how they use photos/stills of the Titanic, and move the ship across the screen. It’s as if she’s moving! John. P Eaton and Charlie Haas sit (Mr. Eaton does most of the talking in this scene, Charles nods his head) and tells the story of the steward who told about Mr. Thomas Andrews standing, “unresponsive” to the requests that he save himself. The program continues to use amazing photography and takes Ken Marschall’s Painting and moves it upward, making it seem the Stern really is rising out of the air. A woman named Dot Kendle comes and talks a bit. She was the daughter of a survivor. The rest is basically the drama about being in the water, and the survivors rescue by the Carpathia.

Part II
the second part is mostly about Bob Ballard’s mission (well, half mission I guess) to find Titanic.
It opens with the same beautiful scenery. the Narrator says, “Halifax, Nova Scotia. The so-called ‘city of sorrows’” we are then shown a black and white clip of the Mackay-Bennett sailing. The Narrator tells of their job to pick up the dead. They had only 100 coffins. Don Lynch tells us about the life jackets leaving the dead to float, some floating a way’s away From the wreck site. Some descriptions of the bodies recovered are shown on screen. The narrator tells us a total of 356 bodies were recovered.
the story of the strong abled swimmer swimming to Collapsible B is told, and how some aboard thought he was Captain Smith.
Walter Lord is there too! (He’s shifting and swaying side to side for some reason)
Anyway, after a bit, Bob Ballard comes and described his mission to find Titanic. They found it, and they go on to show imagery of the wreck. Ballard talks about seeing the doll's head, and how it really freaked them out. He talks about how Eva Hart wanted that plaque he placed on the Stern in 1986 to be placed there. (a younger) P.H Nargeolet is there, Walter Lord, Ken Marschall, George and Matt Tulloch, and Bob Ballard come say their final words in the closing segment. At the end, someone portraying Jack Thayer, reads his 1940 account of the disaster. We end on a shot of the Titanic's Prow, her Bow point still showing paint and layered in Rusticles.

I thought it was really good! I'd place "Titanic: The Legend Lives On" in my top 10 (I rather think the 90's Titanic documentaries are pretty good!

What do y'all think? Do you remember this one?

Nov 14, 2005
In my opinion as stated before it's probably one of the best docu's on Titanic. Yes it has a few mistakes but still better than most of the rehash shows you get today.

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 14, 2005
One of the things I like best about the A&E docu is that it tells a story. Not just somebody oohing and awing over a bathtub that everybody has seen 200 times. It's one of the few that has gotten multiple viewings in my house. Cheers.

Mar 17, 2018
A lot of people interviewed in this documentary have since died and are no longer able to contribute further details. All the survivors are gone. I think Edith Brown Haisman’s daughter Dorothy (or ”Dot”) Kendle is still alive, at least that was the last I heard. Belfast citizen Francis Parkinson Jr. died back in 2004. Authors Walter Lord in 2002, Wyn Craig Wade in 2006. Ed Kamuda of the THS in 2014, Brian Ticehurst of the BTS died recently, sometime after Kamuda. All their work makes the documentary a real treasure trove of information.

Reactions: 1 users
Nov 14, 2005
A lot of people interviewed in this documentary have since died and are no longer able to contribute further details. All the survivors are gone. I think Edith Brown Haisman’s daughter Dorothy (or ”Dot”) Kendle is still alive, at least that was the last I heard. Belfast citizen Francis Parkinson Jr. died back in 2004. Authors Walter Lord in 2002, Wyn Craig Wade in 2006. Ed Kamuda of the THS in 2014, Brian Ticehurst of the BTS died recently, sometime after Kamuda. All their work makes the documentary a real treasure trove of information.
Yes the other pandemic going around will get us all...100% fatal to all that come into contact with it...TIME. But I agree with what you said about the program. I always like Mr. Ticehurst's interviews on the subject. After almost 27 years it has held up well and is one of if not my favorite for the overall story of Titanic.

Cam:...You should watch both parts in order when you can. I don't understand why they stopped issueing it on DVD. I looked it up and the prices of it are ridiculous for it now in my opinion. I got it around 2001 on DVD for both parts and it was less than $20 if I remember right. Now if you can find it it's over 50....crazy.

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Yes the other pandemic going around will get us all...100% fatal to all that come into contact with it...TIME. But I agree with what you said about the program. I always like Mr. Ticehurst's interviews on the subject. After almost 27 years it has held up well and is one of if not my favorite for the overall story of Titanic.

Cam:...You should watch both parts in order when you can. I don't understand why they stopped issueing it on DVD. I looked it up and the prices of it are ridiculous for it now in my opinion. I got it around 2001 on DVD for both parts and it was less than $20 if I remember right. Now if you can find it it's over 50....crazy.
Hi Steven!
Yes, I fully agree. One of the reasons I like the earlier documentaries, like from before 2000, is that they all tell the story. After that, it’s about the “oohing and ahing” over the bathtub and sinking theories. The 90’s had it good with the docs. I mean, I like some of the sinking theory docs, it just gets old after a while.
At least “Back to Titanic” is a good one, it’s more about the condition of the wreck. The “Anatomy of a Disaster” The Investigation Begins,” those are good.

anyway, Mark, why has the thread been moved? Isn’t The Legend lives on different from Death of a Dream?

Mar 17, 2018
I got the DVD as a gift from my parents back around 2005. It was sold in package as “Titanic: The Complete Story”. It contained three documentaries: The two-part classic “Titanic: Death of a Dream/The Legend Lives On”. (Funny, how they give each part of the documentary it’s own distinctive title, even though they are just Parts 1 and 2 of the same series). The third documentary on the DVD was a stand-alone called “Beyond Titanic”, and that one is also very good though it’s mostly about the various media (books/films) adaptations from 1912 to 1997. “Beyond Titanic“ can also be found on the DVD for the 1953 Hollywood “Titanic” film as a bonus feature.

Nov 14, 2005
Hi Steven!
Yes, I fully agree. One of the reasons I like the earlier documentaries, like from before 2000, is that they all tell the story. After that, it’s about the “oohing and ahing” over the bathtub and sinking theories. The 90’s had it good with the docs. I mean, I like some of the sinking theory docs, it just gets old after a while.
At least “Back to Titanic” is a good one, it’s more about the condition of the wreck. The “Anatomy of a Disaster” The Investigation Begins,” those are good.

anyway, Mark, why has the thread been moved? Isn’t The Legend lives on different from Death of a Dream?
No like Brian said they are just parts 1 & 2 of the same documentary. I guess they did it thaat way because its total is like 4 hours long. Kind of like the LOTR movies. To me its just one long movie broken up into 3 parts.

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
I got the DVD as a gift from my parents back around 2005. It was sold in package as “Titanic: The Complete Story”. It contained three documentaries: The two-part classic “Titanic: Death of a Dream/The Legend Lives On”. (Funny, how they give each part of the documentary it’s own distinctive title, even though they are just Parts 1 and 2 of the same series). The third documentary on the DVD was a stand-alone called “Beyond Titanic”, and that one is also very good though it’s mostly about the various media (books/films) adaptations from 1912 to 1997. “Beyond Titanic“ can also be found on the DVD for the 1953 Hollywood “Titanic” film as a bonus feature.
Thanks Brian. It was a really good documentary.

Did y’all have a favorite moment? Scene? Music? Effects?

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Just looked, Dot is still alive! She even has a Facebook account. (Found on accident when I searched “Dot Kendle”)

her bio is in all caps, about how her mother is Titanic survivor Edith Haisman, she met Bob Ballard and Bill Maquity, and something about Marconi.

something interesting about Maquity, he watched Titanic sail from Southampton as a little boy. (Then he sank her again lol)

Nov 14, 2005
Hi Steven!
At least Back to Titanic” is a good one, it’s more about the condition of the wreck. The “Anatomy of a Disaster” The Investigation Begins,” those are good.

It must be Titanic day on the Nat Geo channel. They are showing like 4 or 5 different docu's. Seen them all but one so I DVR'd it and will check it out later.

Hello everyone! I just wanted to point out to you all that there are two tracks from the series available for high quality streaming on the composer's own website. I've also reached out to him on Facebook for any more he may have, but don't expect a fast reply.

It's a little convoluted, so bear with me:

1. Go to his website: Titanic – Death of a Dream – Christopher L. Stone

2. Click on the track name:
image.png

3. Now, a player will begin playing from the top of the man's whole catalogue, so you'll have to do a little scrolling. Click the symbol here:
image2.png

4. Now, you have access to the whole list. There is a lot in there to find, but make sure you get to the two tracks from the documentaries. Titanic Hymn has been playing on and off again in my head at times for 25 years. It's about halfway down:
image3.png

5. Enjoy!

• Wow