A Few Lounge Questions

Apr 22, 2012
Hello,

I have a few research-type questions about the Titanic's first-class lounge. Any answers will be greatly appreciated, and I thank you for the help. Here they are:

1. What kind of wood was the panelling made of?
2. Was their a mail holder in one corner, or was that a bookcase?
3. What kind of flooring did the room have, and what color was it?
4. What color was the furniture and what type of furniture was in the room?
5. What has been found in the Debris Field from the lounge, and does anything remain of the room today?

Thanks in advance.

-B.W.

Nigel Bryant

Aug 1, 2010
Wellington, New Zealand
Hi Brandon,

I hope these answers help:

1. The lounge was paneled in rich oak in the style of Louis Quinze style. Most of the details had been taken from the Palace of Versailles.

2. It is a large bookcase where people can hire a book or two. It does look like a mail holder but it did not serve that particular purpose.

3. The floor material was carpet. I think it was colored dark green with a gold tint. You can see many photos of the Cyberflix recreation and shows the carpet in its true color.

4.The furniture color was green as well, with floral decorate designs. The type of furniture ranged from those cozy chairs- similar to the smoking room chairs, but not leather, to settees and conventional tables.

5. Items ranging in the Debris Field include:

Window panes still intact.

Some candelabra-style wall sconces.

A miniature statue which used to grace the mantelpiece. It is a copy of "Artemis of Versailles".

Nothing else really remains of the room today, all the oak has been devoured by marine organisms. Most of the room was destroyed when the ship broke in half. The room has collapsed on itself because it is so close to the tear end, making it hopeless to enter the once luxurious room.

There is really only one item that is still a round today. It was an oak carving above the main doorway entering the lounge. It was found floating near the wreck site and was picked up by a passing ship. In the 1997 movie it rescued Rose from freezing,saving her from a terrible fate that Jack suffered. Today it is in a museum.

I hope this helps.

Regards Nigel

R

Rolf Vonk

Hi Brandon and Nigel,

first of all I want to say that Nigel gave a good answer to your question. I only have to add something about the mailbox.

I think Brandon meant the mailbox in one of the forward corners with his question. Their was a mailbox near the double door leading to the first class staircase. I believe it is visible on some detailled deckplans.

I actually don't know what to think about the Cyberflix reconstruction. It's not totally complete and beside I don't know if they used the right colors. In their game the panneling is soft yellow colored in combination with graceful white decorations. However the still intact Olympic lounge has a brown varnished panneling which Cameron also used in his movie reconstruction.

Many Regards,
Rolf

Dave Hudson

Apr 15, 2011
Why can't they enter the Lounge, just to see it? The forward quarter or so should have a high enough ceiling for an ROV to move around in. Access should be pretty easy. There is a wide corridor which should be intact leading from the Staircase. If that doesn't work, there should be huge gaping window frames (okay, maybe that's too far aft). Or what about the Reading and Writing Room? True the ceiling is also collapsing, but the forward wing is not. The windows to this room were massive and I doubt that the glass survived.
What do you guys think?
David.

R

Rolf Vonk

Hi David,

You mean they should enter the lounge to look at the furniture? Well, I certainly do believe that the room is high enough to move an ROV around in, but I'm really not sure if there rests something from the lounge. A hughe part of it dissappeared during sinking. That must also be the reason why they find all tose lounge-artefacts on the seafloor (like the Artemis from Versailles which had it's place on the mantle of the fireplace).
Should the little bacteries in the water not have eaten away all the wood from panneling, furniture and floor?

Hm, actually I wonder why they don't take a look in the reading and writing room. I also guess the forward wing is still intact. I suspect it isn't hard to enter from outside, as I doubt too that the glass survived.

Regards,
Rolf

Dan Cherry

Mar 3, 2000
Rolf and David,
the starboard enclosed promenade windows have recently corroded to the point where they have fallen away, allowing easier potential access to the forward corridor leading to the entrance to the lounge. I would have to say, though, that based on the condition of the furniture found deep within the ship, there would be little, if anything, to see in this corridor. The entire roof of the lounge has collapsed down on that room, making it impossible to gain access to the room itself. If you're lucky, the doorway might still be there, but the line of collapse is right near there. The forward wing of the reading and writing room's roof is still intact, but last I knew the outer promenade plating was still in place. The only way to access that room with any ease would be through the corridor on the starboard side. The doorway, however, to the R/W room is within the area where the aft hull has collapsed. So, unfortunately, you'd probably be out of luck on both accounts.

Dave Hudson

Apr 15, 2011
Rolf,
I agree that just about everything elegant in the Lounge is long gone, but the Grand Stiarcase is just as bad, and yet we can't resist but enter. Just to see what's left is reason enough. Even if there's nothing at all except ceiing beams and metal decking, it's still better than nothing.
Dan,
I thought that even back in 1986, the outer port Promenade wall was found to have fallen away at the extreme aft end (look at the Ken Marschal pics on the port side). Also, several K.M. paintings (as well as the arial bow mosaic) show a small hole in the roof of the R/W Room. Perhaps an ROV could fit.
Where are other places that you guys think they should visit? How about the Turkish Baths?
David.

Apr 22, 2012
Hello David,

Definitely the Turkish Bath, as well as the swimming pool. They should also try to investigate all the intact cabins in the bow section that they possibly can, before it's too late to. The remains of the Titanic's cabins would be beautiful to see. I think they should try to examine the second-class cabins, as well. But is this possible? I'm more of an expert on the ship when it was still afloat, and don't know very much about the wreck. Would it be possible to get into the third-class cabins? I believe the mudline would have covered these, correct? I think they should also try to visit some of the second-class public rooms, as well.

-B.W.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>How about the Turkish Baths?<<

Uh good luck. They were located down of "F" Deck just aft of the swimming pool on the starboard side and just far enough aft that it has to be pretty well caved in by now. If it isn't, you would still have to thread your way past some collapsed decks and a watertight bulkhead to get forward. If there's no conveinient hole in that, you'd have to find a way down from above through a tangled mass of wreckage.

As costly as ROVs are, I think I'd hold out for something a bit more expendable to become available befor having a go at it.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

R

Rolf Vonk

Hi there,

I certainly agree with you David that they have to research everything they can, now it's still possible.
However it becames more and more difficult. Like Dan said, there are many parts of the ship collapsed or in danger of collapsing. But isn't this a main reason to investigate the wreck soon?

Brandon, in my opinion they have to examine the second class cabins too. Although I'm very afraid that there's nothing left of them. It should be a pity as I really think that second class needs some more inspection and some more attention. I'm a real Bourgeois, and hopefully they gonna show clearly that there was not only first and third class aboard Titanic.

Just a little interesting point about the Turkish bath area, Micheal. I also believe it will be hard to reach F deck. Decks will be (partly) collapsed and there will be many rubbish in the corridors and entrances (Hatch No 2 was also blocked by al kinds of rubbish).
However if they can reach the Turkish baths, there's a big chance that they can enter the swimmingpool. Most probably the watertight door between the swimmingpool-area and the Turkish baths was never closed. As you know, the watertightdoors from F deck had to be closed from E deck. There was a kind of lock in the floor that could close the doors. The lock for the watertightdoor between the baths and the swimmingpool was just along the first class lifthall on E deck. Mr Chambers and Mr Harder both mentioned that the crew wasn't able to close the door beneath this lock, so I think that door is still open.

Regards,
Rolf

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Hi Rolf, my point exactly. Even if the ship had not broken up, the place has to be a charnal house of wreckage and debris. I don't think anything exists yet that could possibly manipulate those doors, even if they were operable.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Dave Hudson

Apr 15, 2011
What about the hole in the bow? If I heard right, the huge gaping hole on Starboard F Deck just forward of the 1st funnel opens into what was the Squash Court. That's pretty close to the Baths. I realize that that's probably a disaster area, but why not try? No one's ever tried that as a point of entry. I think that there are a lot of ways to enter the lower decks besides the GSC. What about the funnel shafts? By know there maybe sizable holes that lead to the rest of the ship. If not, it would great access to the boiler rooms (how bout going into Boiler Room 6 and seeing the iceberg damage from the inside?)
Brandon,
Unfortunatly, the only 2nd Class public room that's fairly intact is the Dining Room, but that's deep inside the crumbling stern. 2nd and 3rd Class cabins would be interesting. They are in a pretty stable area of the stern. What about going into the aft holds, or checking out whats left of the port Verandah Cafe. It's high and clear of large obsticles. Easy access (again, i'm not saying that anything of interest would be found, just that we should look).

Apr 22, 2012
Hello,

I think that instead of raising so many artifacts, they ought to try and get photos of all that is left of the once-beautiful rooms before its too late. I have never saw a picture of an underwater second or third-class cabin. I am so sick of those television specials that show us the exact same places on board in every single investigation. It's time to have a look at what's left to look at while we can still look at it. All though stunning at first, lifeboat davits and the Grand Staircase shaft get boring after awhile.

-B.W.

Dan Cherry

Mar 3, 2000
David,
you're right - the shell plating on the port side had fallen away by 1986. Don't know what I was thinking - failing memory, you know?

Dan

Dan Cherry

Mar 3, 2000
Brandon,
I know what you're saying regarding the same old pictures. Now, though the second class area was mostly amidships and astern (right where you can't tell a steam pipe from a chandelier), one TV special did show some of the third class cabin area in the bow. It showed the remains of a wash basin stand with the wash bowl in the pulpy, fibrous remains. I think a piece of ceiling debris was inside the wash bowl.
There wasn't much else to see
sad.gif

M

Martin Dall

Is there anything left of the second class stairs?
Also, have all the flights of the Grand Staircase collapsed?-I can't believe that none of the staircases are still intact given the pillars are still holding up all the actual floors?

Apr 22, 2012
Hello Martin,

Although I can't posotively give you an accurate answer on you second-class stairs question, I can tell you what I think. Due to the fact that the second-class stairs was located in the stern, my guess is that this marvelous stairway, fit for first-class from the way it looked in photographs and the Cyberflix game, was most likely destroyed when that section of ship imploded. According to the Ken Marschall painting of the devastated stern from Robert Ballard's "The Discovery of the Titanic", the housing that covered the staircase is apparent, although it appears to be mangled and collapsed. Perhaps someone with more knowledge of the wreck can help out here.

As for the Grand Staircase, I will base my answer on information I heard on another thread on this messageboard. Perhaps you could find that thread. Many believe that the remains of the Titanic's Grand Staircase dome as well as the levels of stairs all crashed down to E-Deck, where they remain today. However, the complete abscense of the stairs seems strange, considering the fact that they had an inner body of steel. It would appear that SOMETHING would remain. But there is nothing. Others believe that the stairs broke loose and floated out the broken dome. There was even a claim made by a passing steamer of passing by a large set of stairs. This was, presumably, the Titanic's Grand Staircase.

All The Best,

-B.W.

Dave Hudson

Apr 15, 2011
Hi Martin,
The Grand Staircase (GSC) is now a 5-deck shaft that is hardly recognizable. The Boat Deck ceiling is almost caved in. The stairs have mysteriously vanished, as Brandon said. However, while Cameron was filming the GSC flooding scene in his movie, He inadvertently discovered the answer. While the water was rushing around the stairs, an airpocket was formed under the landing. As the stairs sank deeper and deeper, the whole staircase uprooted itself and floated away! This left only a shaft, much like the wreck's. This is the most plausible theory to date.
Hi Dan,
What Third Class cabin? I remember the wash basin that you're talking about, but I thought they found that in the debris field.
Now how about looking in B 49 for Mrs. Bishop's jewelry? She claimed to have had $11,000 of it(1912 money!).
Looking through cabins could serve another purpose as well: What better way to complete the Cave List than to look ourselves?

Joshua Gulch

Mar 31, 2001
Brandon,
All things considered, the 2nd class entrance on the boat deck is in remarkable condition.

All things considered.

While the big box vents on the aft edge of it are gone and the elevator housing is caving in, and some windows are gone, that's about all that happened to it after the implosion and crash landing. As she sank, the fourth funnel fell to aft-starboard and smashed up that corner of the entrance house. That's why that part is collapsed. The elevator is off kilter because the gears and motor inside it practically tore the whole thing through the bulkhead when she hit bottom. And yet through all that, it still stands in -fairly- good shape.

Again, all things considered.

It's a hardy little structure.

Josh.