A Few Technical Questions

Kevin Keating

Apr 1, 2007
Hey all,

I'm building a full-scale replica of the Titanic - in 3D, of course - and I have a few questions on some measurements and plans, since I'm trying to make it as accurate as possible, which is why I'm modeling it at 1:1 scale in the computer so I can get all the measurements right. I'm only modeling the exterior, as I have a natural leaning towards the ship's external appearance rather than the fittings (except, of course, for the Grand Staircase, which I think is going to be my next 3D project if I ever conquer this.)

1.) I know the size of the windows that were on the little structures at the edge of the bridge wings, but what was the height/width of the nine windows at the center of the navigating bridge? (I'm going to assume that the windows that lined the front of the wheelhouse were roughly the same size.)

2.) What was the height/width of the windows on the promenade (A) deck, both the large ones and the ones that were cut out of the walled-in section?

3.) What was the height/width of the windows on B-deck? (This is the last window height/width question, I promise!!)

4.) Are there any diagrams of what the funnels looked like? I have the blueprint of the funnels but I'm talking about the ladder/whistle placement/etc. on the front of the funnel. Ken Marschall's paintings help (a lot!) but the shadows obscure some of the detail. It looks like there's a platform at the top near where the whistles were located, I'm just curious if there's any clearer reference as to what the structures at the front and back of the funnels looked like (the support beam things, sorry, my nautical terms aren't up to snuff.)

Thanks everyone!
happy.gif

-Kevin

Kevin Keating

Apr 1, 2007
I found a few of the answers, for those who are interested:

1.) Bridge Windows: 30" x 37" (wheelhouse windows were the same size)

2.) Small Windows: 30" x 37", still don't know how far apart the posts were spaced to form the big "windows"

3.) 37" x 31" and 2'11 x 21" (I think)

I should have done a little bit more detective work :X These were found on the Discovery Channel website from the plans by Bruce Beveridge.

Still looking for funnel information too . . .