1. Welcome to Encyclopedia Titanica
    or subscribe for unlimited access to ET! You can also login with , or !
    Dismiss Notice

A green grand staircase

Discussion in 'Passengers Passenger Areas and Accommodations' started by Tarn Stephanos, May 8, 2002.

1. Hey All,
    Wow that looks so Groovy! Chances are though the color would have been more faded and light country styled green. Any Thoughts?

Sahand

2. Hi All!

This is what I believe to be a perfect example of the Olympic's GSC 1928-1935. It has everything: the Britannic tiles, the rubber step bumpers that replaced the brass, the unpainted cherub and the extra handrails. It is best viewed at its full size, but its too large a file to post at 10X14 sad.gif but I can email it to you if you would like. Hope you enjoy viewing it as much I did creating it proud.gif

72241.jpg

Best Regards,

Brian

3. Hi Sahand!

The shade of green I used in this rendering is not as dark as it appears in the 10X14 original as it is in this 5X3 file for the board, in the full size version you will see that it is more of an avocado green wash than actual paint, this mimics the shade of green found on all surviving GSC woodwork.

Best Regards,

Brian

4. Matt Smith

Matt Smith Member

Ya, I was going to say that it looked to dark.

5. I must say, you guys have certainly carried this recreation further than I did, but that's a good thing. Also good to know that my recreation at least somewhat matched the account of someone actually on the Olympic.

6. Hi Brian!

I might have missed something as I've only skimmed this thread, but can I ask your source for 1928? On the other thread, 'reception room' (something) in the Technical section, we discussed it.

Best regards,

Mark.

7. Brian,

Nice work! Sorry I haven't replied to you privately, I've been busy lately. I concur with Mark, where do you get 1928 from? As far as the thread goes, the general consensus for painting the staircase green is 1933. Also, these tiles on Olympic were installed after the war. When Olympic returned to service in July 1920, they were already there, and evidently remained there throughout her life. So far as I can gather, these tiles came in three colors: blue, yellow and green. I forget which went where though.

Regards,

Daniel.

8. Hi All!

I keep confusing the 1928 refit with the GSC painting, I dont know why or what makes me connect the two, but every time I talk about the 1928 refit I include the GSC, my mistake. I just finished a color watercolor of the Britannic's forward GSC, I will post that in the Britannic area though smile.gif

Brian

9. Luke Mack

Luke Mack Guest

Does anyone have a picture of the olympics green stained grand staircase with the white painted clock? I would love to see a real pic of this dramatic change even if it is in black and white. Personally I think a green staircase sounds fabulous and exotic.

Thanks

Luke Mack

10. Hi All,

In the panelling we are stripping out for the auction in September there is much evidence of this green paint although the staircase panels show no signs of the green there is however the cream colour showing

The green paint scheme was in my opinion was unkeeping with the grandeur of the Olympic but perhaps it was to try and bring her up to date

I also believe this was done in the 1927 refit

I will take a photo of some of the green paint and post when I get them taken

Regards
    Ray

11. Luke Mack

Luke Mack Guest

The staircase was not painted it was limed...which is a process that preserves the natural grain of the wood....you all make it sound so vulgar.

Luke

12. This green staircase was likely not so awful as is imagined. The color was almost certainly inspired by the interiors of the Petit Trianon, some of which had been painted grey or green (there is debate still about this).

Whatever the original color of the Petit Trianon's paneling, by the early 20th century, when the Chateau de Versailles and the Trianon were undergoing renovation, the color had become a decidedly faded mossy green.

This color, along with a modified pale grey (which many contended had been the original color), became very fashionable in interiors and has remained a color that is considered by restorationists to be historically authentic.

I personally have seen the drawing room in a lovely, 18th century English country house, the home of the late Barbara Cartland, done in this color with a lot of gilding and mirrors. It was very beautiful.

By the way, for all the decorating hoopla over the faded colors of Trianon, the paneling has now been repainted off-white, or at least it was on my last visit there in 2000.

Only in some of the inner rooms which have not been completely restored can one still see those glorious old, grey-green, chipped walls. I commented to one of the VERY rude attendants at Petit Trianon that I liked the unrestored walls better. She stuck her nose up and said airily: "Oh, but that is only mildew, monsieur." Such ignorance!

13. Ken Marschall

Ken Marschall Member

"The staircase was not painted it was limed...which is a process that preserves the natural grain of the wood....you all make it sound so vulgar."

Luke,

Several of us have sections of this green-painted oak from Olympic's foyers/entrances. I have stripped many pieces to restore them to their original appearance. It is indeed a green paint, wiped over (antiqued, if you will) with an amber tone. Carved areas with relief were then dry-brushed/highlighted with gold paint. I think it looked ghastly and was nothing short of a crime to paint over all that wonderful hand-carved beauty, but what do I know.

Ken

14. Though I am fond of avocado, (Don't ask me why) I think it must have looked at least strange to see something like the grand staircase like that. To be honest... I kind of like the staircase both ways, even if the modified version is a bit hard to picture.

It was after reading this thread last night that made my brother ask me which Olympic I liked better... the "first one" or the "later one," I told him I liked both. Mrs. Kylesant's (I can't remember how it was spelled, I don't have it in front of me,) modifications were truly - to say the least - unique, if not slightly tacky.

15. Luke Mack

Luke Mack Guest

dont tell me paint was thw only thing tacky aboard the Olympic...how about the cherubs and the furniture in the lounge and the light fixtures in the smoking room.....olympic had more than its share of bad taste and tacky ornamentation.

16. Tacky by who's reckoning? I've long come to hold my own opinion that the Olympic's as a whole were a study in restrained good taste compared to the competition, a lot of which went way overboard in all the glitz that they put into their ships. The chrubs, the furniture, the light fixtures and all of that were very typical of the Edwardian period.

17. Luke Mack

Luke Mack Guest

you must admit michael that the decoration of the olympis could'nt compare with Mewes and Davis' work onboard the Aquitania and imperator class...those interiors where huge but very tastefully done....those rooms would hold up in the finest hotels today. unlike the olympic interiors.

Luke

18. >>you must admit michael that the decoration of the olympis could'nt compare with Mewes and Davis' work onboard the Aquitania and imperator class<<

Actually, I don't have to admit anything of the kind and neither does anyone else. I don't have to deny the thing either. Beauty is one of those subjective matters of opinion that's very much in the eyes of the beholder.

>>those interiors where huge but very tastefully done....those rooms would hold up in the finest hotels today. unlike the olympic interiors.<<

Again, a highly subjective matter of opinion. In this case, it helps to know that the ornate interiors of ships of that period were frequently touted off as being comperable in luxury, beauty and taste to the finest hotels of the era of 1912, and for these people, that's all that really mattered.

19. Luke Mack

Luke Mack Guest

I agree taste is very subjective

20. >Hi Ken, > > I agree with your thoughts on the green paint scheme

The oak carved panels from the grand staircase that were in the board room at Haltwhistle still have this paint visible along with the guilding

I found this when I could see underside when we took them out, the carving as you know is of the highest quality and looks so much better in the natural Oak

I will take a photo and post this also

Regards Ray