Hi all,

Result of competition

1st Prize goes to Sean Hankins his prize was the Barrel

2nd prize goes to Darren Clossin his prize will be the Gavel

Regards
Raymond

Dec 7, 2000
Randy,

I started a new thread for the William and Mary/Jacobean influences on the grand staircase. However I have now appropriately started it in the technical/construction/design forum.

Daniel.

Apr 5, 2006
Hi, does anyone know of any known photographs of The Olympics 1930's lime green grand staircase? I was really curious whether or not they painted all the beautiful wood over with the that ugly coat of lime green like the tiles they have for sale on ebay.

Thanks Alot!

[Moderator's Note: This message, originally posted as a separate thread, had been moved to this pre-existing thread addressing the same subject. MAB]

Apr 5, 2006
Hi I was wondering if there are any know photos/rederings/drawings of how the Grand Staircase looked green after the 1927 refit?

Thanks,
Luke

[Moderator's Note: This message, originally posted as a separate thread, had been moved to this pre-existing thread addressing the same subject. MAB]

Feb 6, 2005
Some of the colour renderings posted earlier make the staircase look like a garish lime sorbet. I did a little photoshopping of my own and I think the stairs would have looked like this. Not terribly bright, but an airy conservatory-esque feel.

207610.jpg

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Not terribly bright, but an airy conservatory-esque feel.<<

Still a bit unsettling. The only question I have is would it have looked like this if what was used was in fact a green wash as I've seen claimed years ago. (The above looks like a good enamal.)

Nov 21, 2007
Michael, I just put this together to get the general idea. Is this what you meant by a "wash?"

titanic_copy6.jpg

I used a picture of the grand staircase replica at the Titanic Museum in Branson, Missouri.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
John's photo is the closest to what I saw. The green was deep but had a sort of watery/washed out look, kind of like what you would see with staining.

It still looks bloody awful but that's on the decorator who thought it was a good idea.

Nov 21, 2007
You're quite right Michael. No matter what, it looks terrible... Could you imagine being in rough seas, in the middle of summer, after a bad dinner, and have to walk up that thing?! That's probably the real reason for scrapping her; She smelled of vomit!

J

John Atkinson

Yes, the clock was more of a cream color. I suppose White Star were just trying to keep up with the times and "Art Deco" style of the day. Still ghastly in my opinion.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I suppose White Star were just trying to keep up with the times and "Art Deco" style of the day. Still ghastly in my opinion.<<

I don't think you'll find a lot of people who disagree with that. Unfortunately, the tastes and expectations of the day were changing so it was either keep up with the competition or lose trade. There wasn't and awful lot they could have done with the ship without a major refit.