A Guide to the Crew of the Titanic by Babler

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
I came across a book called A Guide To The Crew of the Titanic by a Swiss man named Gunther Babler. The topic seems interesting but does anyone know if this book is any good?

PS: I know that there is a lot of information on ET about every crew member but there is something to be said about having similar info in a handy volume..... provided that it is well researched and written.

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
I got it as a present, and I would personally say it's a very good book. :)
  • Explains the duties, wages, timetable and uniform for the various members of the crew (Engineers, Victualling Crew, Trimmers, Officers etc).
  • Diagrams showing crew structure of the various groups (from Chief / Head to smallest crew
  • An entire crew list (in the back).
  • Lots of nice photos of public and crew spaces from Titanic, Olympic and other ships (including a restored version of Francis Browne's Marconi Room Photo).

Reactions: 1 user

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
The name of the author tells me it will be good. He has spent years on research. Some of his efforts are on this site.

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Quite right, Dave. Gunter Babler is a well-known and highly-respected researcher of Titanic's people. His work is uniformly first-rate.

Reactions: 1 user