A LA CARTE RESTAURANT CREW

May 17, 2006
I'm writing to you hoping that you will be able to help in the "investigations" I'm trying to carry out about a French victim of the Titanic. I only know a few facts about him and I'm sure you can give me some useful hints. I teach English in a little town in Northern France called SOLESMES (not very far from Valenciennes and Lille) and each year I try to use authentic documents (texts, newspaper clippings, magazine excerpts, and so on) to tell them about the TITANIC DISASTER because I think it's really important to remember IMPORTANT DATES OF HISTORY and the subject has been even more popular with pupils since CAMERON's FILM with DI CAPRIO. Well, I usually tell them the facts, and give them a basic timeline,etc. A few months ago I discovered that one of the victims of the Titanic was born in this little town where I teach and then I decided to "dig deeper" and that's why I'm sending this email.
The victim's name is : DEBREUCQ, MAURICE EMILE VICTOR. He was born in Solesmes (North of France) on 6th March 1894 and signed on to the Titanic on 6th April 1912. His address at that time was: 12 Mead Street, KENNINGTON (Or is it KENSINGTON?),LONDON, W. He first embarked in Southampton as a member of the A LA CARTE RESTAURANT STAFF (rank: assistant waiter).He was employed and paid by Mr. LUIGI GATTI and he died in the sinking of the ship. His body was recovered by the Mackay-Bennett (number 244) and he was buried at MOUNT OLIVET CEMETARY,HALIFAX,NOVA SCOTIA on 8th May 1912. I found all this information in the ENCYCLOPEDIA TITANICA WEB PAGES. Now the thing is I'm trying to gather as many copies of authentic documents as I can because I'd like to set up an exhibition (to start with) on the subject with my pupils (they would of course be part of the project) next year (Obviously I need some time to investigate and prepare) around May/June 2007. Maybe you could tell me if I could get copies or transcriptions of documents you would happen to have in Your Archives Services about the crew members who embarked atSouthampton.Maybe you could also tell me if you have any document about Mr LUIGI GATTI who lived in a house named "Montalgo", Harborough Road, Polygon, SOUTHAMPTON. If not, could you tell me where I'd be likely to get further details about these two men. Mr LUIGI GATTI was the boss of the A LA CARTE RESTAURANT and he had worked at Oddenino's Restaurant in London ("One of the Best restaurants at the time in London") so where can I find information about this Restaurant? Are there any Archives Services in London that could be of any help to me?
Mr MAURICE DEBREUCQ had worked for Mr GATTI in London ( or so I've read somewhere) before joining the Titanic so maybe he came from London to Southampton especially on GATTI's demand or did he reside for some time in SOUTHAMPTON? Is there any way I can find any "clues" somewhere in Southampton? He was young when he died on the Titanic (about 18 years old and single) but maybe I can find some relatives in France living or dead....
Thank you for taking the time to read my email and for trying to help me answers some of these numerous questions.
BEST REGARDS
Mr. Gaudin

Ralph Dellar

May 10, 2004
Dear Mr Gaudin,
I see I posted my reply to you under the "Relief Fund" thread rather than this one.
I might have some ideas for tracking down living descendants, if you have access to church records in the town where DEBREUCQ lived, and can locate his baptism record (and thus parents), and then scan the same records about 10 years before and after to try to locate siblings with the same parents. I can help you off-list if I have time this summer.

Reactions: 1 user
May 17, 2006
THANK YOU VERY MUCH INDEED, RALPH. I' M GOING TO START COLLECTING "original documents" such as birth certificates and so on in a few days because I'm very busy at present (this is nearly the end of the school year for French pupils so I have reports to write and so on).
I have two hints about his birth place: maybe he was born in Solesmes or in Reims. I'm going to dig further. I'll send you and email as soon as I have found more authentic data.
Thanks a lot.
Frederic Gaudin

Reactions: 1 user