'A Man on a Rope' story

I remember I was deeply impressed with the story that I read back in 1998 in a book by one Czech author: this is the story (or, more precisely, just a brief episode and the mere mention) of an unknown person who was seen going down on a rope from the very top of the stern (shortly before the complete drowning, when the angle of the Titanic's longitudinal inclination was close to 30 degress, or something like that)...

I've never read about it anywhere else, actually (neither in investigation protocols, nor in the other passengers' accounts)...

The question therefore arises: what's the source of that intriguing story? By whom exactly was this "rope person" seen??
Does anybody have any information, please??...

Thankful in advance,
Eugene.

I don't remember anyone mentioning that. (At last I don't know one regarding Titanic but there is such a story about Lusitania.) The only "similarly" story which jump into my mind is that of 3rd class passenger Olaus Abelseth who used the fall (I think of lifeboat No. 16) to slid down into the water with his brother in law and a cousin. (I think he did that when the stern became a heavy list to port, which I have mentioned in an article of mine a did a few years back for the Atlantic Daily Bulletin of the BTS.)

The problem is that I don't remember any source told this story, too, Ioannis! Except that Czech book...

Abelseth's candidacy is not suitable, I'm afraid (as well as major Peuchen, for ex., who slid down the rope, too) :>

That mysterious "rope figure", as far as I remember from the text, climbed down the rope passing the propellers (i. e. it was much farther aft than in the case of Abelseth)...

What is the Lusitania story, could you tell me, please?

Thanks for the reply, though!

Hi Eugene, regarding Lusitania, it was AB Thomas O'Mahoney who try to slid down a rope on the stern of the Lusitania only to see that the propeller below him was still turning and climbed back on deck. (I can not remember if that part of his story is true or not.) Another book stated that another man was still on a rope and his legs were cut of by the turning propeller, but I think that is one of the usual wrong stories about the Lusitania. Possibly someone else more familiar with the Lusitania can correct that.

I guess the mysterious "rope figure" on Titanic could be one of the legends. Possibly that Czech author read that somewhere in a book and took that part for his book too???

P.S.: I think it was Hugh Woolner who was looking at the stern and was watch one of the portholes to see how much the stern was moving down into the water but can not remember if he also mentioned any people. Would need to look.

Interesting, thank you very much for this information, Ioannis!

Of course, this story sounds extremely doubtful in relation to the Titanic, and, most likely, it was simply transferred in the Author's imagination to the Titanic’s stern, indeed!

Thanks for the clarifying (after many years)!:rolleyes: