A mysterious ladder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
A few years ago, Channel 4 in the UK showed "Explorers of the Titanic", chronicling one of the salvage trips. One part of the documentary showed footage inside the large hole on the starboard side below the foreward well deck. I was surprised to see a ladder, just inside the shell plating (which means it couldn't be an escape ladder from the boiler rooms as they were on the port side). Unfortunately the angle of the camera made it difficult to discern where this ladder was, but it seemed to be in its own vertical crawlspace.

What was it for, and where did it go? Its not on my plans.

Thanks

Paul

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
I've watched the show again and I've done a sketch of the area. The camera seemed to be level with the top of hole in the bow and was looking down into the chasm, so, in my sketch, some of the detail further from the camera was not visible. Where visible, I've noted the location of walls, but due to rusticles, I couldn't see any walls in the uppermost deck.

93628.jpg

Paul

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Paul, the first time I saw this I didn't think of it as especially noteworthy. I think this ladder is just one of many located in the cargo holds and handling spaces for no better reason then to give the crew an extra means of getting around.

S

Scott R. Andrews

"...I think this ladder is just one of many located in the cargo holds and handling spaces for no better reason then to give the crew an extra means of getting around..."

Indeed; iron ladders of this type were typically installed throughout the coal bunkers as well, to give the trimmers access from one level to the next. Usually, these types of ladders don't show up on any of the general arrangement drawings either.

Regards,
Scott Andrews

Status
Not open for further replies.