A New Cunard Ship in 2005

Jerry Nuovo

Jan 22, 2010
New Jersey,USA
Just one year after the QM2 goes into service there will be another new ship for Cunard that will be built in Italy. The rumor is that the name of this ship will be Franconia. Does anyone know for sure what the name of ship will be? Sincerely,Jerry Nuovo

James Doyle

Jul 30, 2002
Really? This is the first time I am hearing about this. Wow, all of a sudden Cunard is pumping out ships after a good 30+ years. Keep them comming! Any ideas about the dimensions? Cruising or Transatlantic run? Bigger or smaller then the QM2?

Jerry Nuovo

Jan 22, 2010
New Jersey,USA
Hi James, This new ship for Cunard will be just for cruises out of Southamton. She will be about 951 feet long and about 85,000 gross tons. I guess Cunard will also use her for world cruises once the QE2 is retired in about several years time and the QM2 will be to wide for the Panama Canal,so the QM2 could not be used for world cruises. How about suggestions on what the name of this new Cunard ship should be? Sincerely,Jerry Nuovo

Jerry Nuovo

Jan 22, 2010
New Jersey,USA
I was thinking since Cunard and White Star merged in 1934, Why don't Cunard pay homage to White Star and give this New Cunarder a White Star name. I think Britannic would be a good name,since at the time of the merger in 1934, there was a White Star ship with that name. Of course the funnel of this New Cunarder should be painted in the White Star colors. Sincerely,Jerry Nuovo

Jerry Nuovo

Jan 22, 2010
New Jersey,USA
I must admit that Carpathia too would be a good name for the New Cunarder,to pay homage to the earlier Cunard Ship that heroically rushed through the iceberg infested North Atlantic to pick-up the Titanic survivors. Sincerely,Jerry Nuovo

M

Michael Re Grey

I was Thinking that you Might do the ultimate and call it Titanic Everyone seems to reverence it but is too afraid to name another ship this name.
After all I feel it would be one of the best ways to pay respect to the great ship.

Jerry Nuovo

Jan 22, 2010
New Jersey,USA
I know for sure that Cunard would not want to name this ship Titanic. No cruise line today would want to name their ships Titanic. I remember back in 1998,during the time when Cameron's Titanic was doing gigantic business at the box office,there were all these stories in the newspaper about building a full size replica of the Titanic. I remember one such story in the New York Post. The investors in this article from the Post wanted to build the ship at Harland&Wolff and have the ship ready for the maiden voyage in April,2001. Was this ship ever built? NO!! And these investors have disappeared into thin air. If building a Titanic replica is such a great idea one the established cruise lines would have done it already. And of course none of the established cruise lines would want to name their new ships Titanic. Sincerely,Jerry Nuovo

Apr 23, 2002
even if a cruise line company didnt build another Titanic I would personally love to see a new ship built with the lines, masts and 3/4 funnels.
I think that would be great to see.

Jerry Nuovo

Jan 22, 2010
New Jersey,USA
Greg, I agree with you. I think Cunard is making a big mistake by not putting 3 funnels on the Queen Mary 2. The first Queen Mary had 3 funnels. Sincerely,Jerry Nuovo

D

Daniel Adam Hutchinson

I haven't been on here for while, but hearing of another new Cunarder is great. I would agree it would be nice to see the new ship with 3 funnels. On the name I think it would be pleasant for it to be called the Aquitania. But, I shall wait with anticipation to find out the name.

M

Michael Re Grey

I was only joking about calling it the Titanic. Of corse no one would want to call it that, I just wanted to see what every ones response would be.
Michael

Jerry Nuovo

Jan 22, 2010
New Jersey,USA
Lusitania in my opinion is a better choice than Titanic. In 1915 Lusitania was sunk by a German submarine which was deliberate, While the Titanic's collision with the iceberg was an unfortunate accident. And Cunard I think would want to continue with the tradition of giving names to their ships that end with the letters "ia".

Apr 23, 2002
Are there any Roman names that Cunard have not used ending with the suffix ''ia''.
It would also be nice to see a completely new ''ia'' name for the new cunarder.

Sep 2, 2009
"Are there any Roman names that Cunard have not used ending with the suffix ''ia''.
It would also be nice to see a completely new ''ia'' name for the new cunarder."

To throw out the old standard's that were mentioned prior to the "Queen Mary 2"

Queen VictorIA
Princess DianIA