A new TITANIC documentary to air

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 10, 1999
Hello:

While watching the History Channel today, a Below" was advertised. Scheduled for a 13 April 2002 airing. The narrator, during close-up shots of the wreck & debris stated something to the effect..."You think you have seen all of the underwater footage of TITANIC".."Then be prepared for a surprise"..

I am certain this has nothing to do with Cameron's "Abyss", but it does have my curiosity beckoning.

*SUNDAY April 13 HISTORY CHANNEL 50 on the WEST COAST*

Michael A. Cundiff
(BTW, a close friend of mine who is an Attorny lost his 36 year-old son on Friday last. Arthur Bayer Jr. was a TOP-GUN Naval Aviator at the time he was killed in an helicopter accident in Ridgecrest, CA. Also had a wife bearing unborn child. The cost of freedom...)

Jun 10, 1999
CORRECTION: Should have read..

While watching the History Channel today, a *new* TITANIC documentary..."90 yrs. Below" was advertised.

MAC

B

Brandon R. Whited

Michael,

I am also sorry to hear about that accident.

I just recieved an e-mail from a friend telling me all about this new documentary, which runs a full ninty minutes! I can't wait!

Cheers,
happy.gif

-B.W.

Jun 10, 1999
G' Evening,

The History Channel is tantalizing us furthur...the latest ad for this upcoming documentary exposed some absolute breathtaking images.

"TITANIC...90 Years Down Below" 13 April (Saturday) History Channel.

...can't wait.

Michael A. Cundiff
USA
( BTW, Arthur Bayer Jr. will be buried with full Military honors at Arlington National Cemetary
GOD BLESS his sacrafice...)

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I'm already planning on watching this and I'll probably tape it as well. I wonder if anybody we know will be offering any commentary???

BTW, Mike, I hope you'll offer my condolances to your freind on the loss of his son.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Jun 10, 1999
Michael:

Geez, at this moment I feel as if a small child anticipating Christmas morning. One thing is for sure...the History Channel is well schooled in the art of *priming* a viewer for his/her documentary of particular interest.

"Images so vivid you will think that you are there..." (About every third commercial this evening)

I should admit the clairty of the brief clips is remarkable!

Michael A. Cundiff
( Less than 24 hrs. to go...:)

M

Melissa E. Kalson

I'm new here on the ET board but have also seen the previews for the new Titanic documentary on the History Channel. I am planning to watch and tape it as well. The previews certainly are tantalizing. Something new that I haven't seen? Gee that's hard to believe
happy.gif
Melissa

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Mike, I'll be watching that documentary very carefully tonight and my tape is going to be ready to go. (If that doesn't work, I'll be calling whatever 1-800 number they offer to buy the inevitable vidio they offer.)

Aside from that, I'll be looking for any mistakes as well. (You just had to know I was going to say that!)

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

D

Denise Rajauski

Michael, I'm sorry to hear of your friend's loss. The times we live in are too full for me.
sad.gif

re: the new documentary. I was a bit disappointed. Also, I found the program's subtle bias regarding the salvage operations faintly annoying. The footage of the sunken ship was fabulous, though.

Denise

Aug 29, 2000
Well it was a mixed bag- good to see Grimm, the French and others get some recognition for their technological contributions for a change. Ballard seems to have mellowed a bit with time and middle age. Still amuses me to see he still has a senior moment regarding his original pro-salvage statement though! The new high-resolution footage was spectacular- it was amazing to see the split screen of the 2001 and 1986 footage side by side. I could have enjoyed more of the footage. They had a lot to cover in one hour, so I guess some of it was just touched upon. Interesting to get all the facts about the Thresher/Scorpion mission straight from Ballard. The second part of the Titanic evening, the blunders segment, was pretty pedestrian- the brass band and the fashions- not QUITE Titanic(same stuff they showed in Raise the Titanic!) The graphics and animations were pretty amateurish too- oh well, we've been spoiled I guess by Cameron & Co. But not a bad way to spend April 13th if not at the BTS this year!

Adam Leet

May 18, 2001
I was a bit disappointed by how little footage they showed, not to mention the mislabeling in a couple of places. I was amazed by its resolution, however. I really cannot wait for Ghosts of the Abyss now that I've seen this small taste.

As for Ballard's comments on Thresher and Scorpion, I had heard of that part of his expedition a few years back on a TLC program. It doesn't surprise me, since he wasn't allowed to talk about it for several years.

In what way was the program biased? I really didn't sense any sort of bias, one way or the other. They seemed to show both sides fairly well.

Adam

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Well, I guess it's my turn to weigh in on this. Overall, it wasn't bad. Although they didn't have much that was new in the way of wreck footage...(Is anyone really surprised at that?)...it was a nice history of what it took to find the ship and a summary of what went on after that.

Now if only they hadn't shown that Great Blunders In History thing on the Titanic afterwards. I couldn't count the mistakes in that one fast enough. That tired peice of misdirection regarding the Binoculars was brought up, and they held that one of the lifeboats capsized on launch. They seem to have forgotten that it was a collapsible B that was already upside down when it floated off. The producers seem to have overlooked the fact that the ship broke up on the surface too and portrayed her as sinking intact.

If this is an indication of how they research their topic, I think I'll just pass on the other episodes in the Great Blunders series.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Adam Leet

May 18, 2001
Wow, Michael, you forgot the fact their CG model looked like something you'd find at a suburban garage sale.
happy.gif

Adam

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Ahhhhh....you suffered through it too? Even my folks were groaning at some of the gaffs in that turkey, and they don't study Titanic or liner history the way I do. (My influance perhaps? I'm pretty quick to give them the streight skinny when I spot errors in fact.)

What's interesting about failing to present the breakup is that this thing was produced after the discovery of the wreck when the fact of the event was well known.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

D

Denise Rajauski

>In what way was the program biased?

I thought it was there, just very subtle. They only showed Eaton and Haas' somewhat pro-salvage view-everybody else was talking about "grave robbing" and "taking the jewels off the old lady's corpse" and suchlike, in a very sniffy manner. Every time the prgram turned to salvage, the music changed to this slow, plodding "uhhh-ohhh" pace. "They marched the artifacts around to *traveling exhibitions!*"

This was very noticeable to me. I could just be paranoid, I guess. *looks furtively around*

Denise

Jun 10, 1999
Hello All:

I am still revelling with the absolute awesom HDTV (High Resolution) wreck footage. I can honestly say that, yes I too sensed the vertigo that Dennis Cochrane experiened on his 2000 pass over the bunker hatch. This enhanced view of the port propellor conveys that the props are surely in a precarious state, and undoubtably so, Dudley Foster made a wise decision in 1986 not to push the envelope of the Alvin.

Yes Shelly, Dr. Ballard seems to have mellowed...even acknowledged the fact that Jean Louie's S.A.R. was zeroed in on target #13 (TITANIC) but before visual contact could be made, he progressively steered in the oposite direction of TITANIC. In Ballard's words..."As fate would have it..."

I admired Dick Barton's (RMSTI Head of Security) favorite artefact..."One and a half child's marble". So poignant in it's relationship to the tragedy.

The pass from mid fallen foremast, directly over the portside well-deck crane and up to the telemotor, revealing four odd memorials was tops!!

BTW, the three very brief movie clips of OLYMPIC...a starboard broadside, a partial dress, and a high clairity pass along much of the port- side were all new for me.

However, what astounded me the most was the violently altered nature of Capt. Smith's suite. (The tub and sink which by comparison of NAUTILE's '94 close-in footage is shocking!!)

And my personal favorite P.H. Nargeolet is absolutely correct in his opinion of he does not feel that the submersible activity about the wreck-site has in anyway hastened the deterioration progress..."It is the sea that is destroying TITANIC".

And my gratitude to the WHOI people whom are responsible for this remarkable footage of TITANIC's wreck as we have seen tonight.

Michael A. Cundiff
USA

Status
Not open for further replies.