A NEW TITANIC SCRIPT a must see

• Thread starter Kimberley Dayle Edwards
  • Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kimberley Dayle Edwards

Hi Everybody!
I recently found this site, through random searching on the web, and I suddenly realised, not beliving my eyes, that what I was seeing was an entirely new Titanic script!!!!!Don't be fooled by the fact that it says it's for CBS, it's not the one with Catherine Zeta Jones. It is comepletely new!!!!!!!I am so excited, I can't control myself!!!!!!Here is the addresses for parts 1 and 2:
http://www.godamongdirectors.com/scripts/titanic1.shtml
http://www.godamongdirectors.com/scripts/titanic2.shtml
Please tell me what you think, but don't print it, it is 360 or so pages long!
Kimberley

Chris Dohany

Dec 12, 1999
If I recall right, this is actually the original script of what would soon be that horrendous CBS Mini Series. I can't fathom why they abandoned this script and went with the inferior, heavily fictionalized version that was eventually filmed.

Mar 18, 2000
Yes, this is the original script for the CBS mini-series. I read it and saved it at the time, as it is far better than what was filmed. Not perfect, of course, but still better than the released version.

As I recall, very little of this early script actually made it into the film. It appears they threw 95% of this out, and replaced with another version with different characters entirely.

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Chris -

I always figured one of the reasons was that they brought on board George C Scott - hence the annihilation of Andrews from the original script (his lines and function in the plot were largely given to Scott's Captain Smith). Other than yet another trite love story (first class passenger in love with third class steerage bloke...her mum's even named Ruth!) this looked better to me than the final version as screened. A better Lowe, for starters.

I can't recall - was the dreadful gratuitous rape sequence in this early version? I don't remember it. And we had the real Goodwins with a good part to play rather than the 'Jacks'. And Hartley and his boys got a bit more than the usual 'play heroically in the background, fellas' - but not much more.

Oct 28, 2000
Having worked in television, I can tell you that no one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public.

-- David G. Brown

Mar 18, 2000
Without going thru the script - I don't recall the rape scene being in this early version, Inger. In fact, the characters involved in the rape weren't even in it!

I think this early version had an aviator and a upper-class girl as the main character - with Guggenheim and his mistress as secondary characters. These were all dumped in favor of Catherine Zeta-Jones and her upper-crust boyfriend, and the Allisons and Alice Cleaver.

Jun 4, 2000
Hello Bill,

It's been a while but my recollection re the 'rape scene' not being in the script is the same as yours. In fact, when I finally saw the CBS mini-series, I couldn't believe it. There was so little resemblance to the script that I wondered if maybe there was yet another mini-series out there! (Heaven help us all)

At the time I read the script I thought it had unfortunate parallels to Cameron's Titanic and elements of the Cynthia Bass novel The Maiden Voyage. For the life of me I can't remember any details though. And perhaps that's for the best?
wink.gif
(Although wasn't there quite a nice little cameo of Steward Hart?)

FWIW,

Fiona

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Fi -

I think you're right about Steward Hart getting a bit of a role...he was working as Lowe's off-sider in #14, as I recall it. I wonder why the Goodwins were replaced by the Jacks? Was it in order to give the Third Class Love Interest a relgious affiliation and thus a 'family' without the strictures that would have been imposed on her had she been travelling with her real parents?

Not enough Jolly Irish People in steerage, I say!

All the best,

Inger

Status
Not open for further replies.