A NIGHT TO REMEMBER Extremley USEFUL

May 1, 2004
Pacifique du Nord
Just finished ANTR for the millionth time. I actually noticed an error I'd never detected before. Chief Baker Joughin recalled throwing deck chairs out of the 'open ports on 'B' deck.'

Olympic had ports on 'B'; Titanic had cabins forward and the Cafe Parisien and restaurant aft.

I located this info. in the 11th Edition, page 132, fifth paragraph down.

"He went down to B Deck and began throwing deck chairs through the windows of the enclosed promenade.

Dec 4, 2000
Yesterday, I spent most of the day combing through a huge remainder and second-hand bookstore for research material on the American Civil War.

My hand found something at once familiar. Pulling it out of the dusty stack I instantly recognized the dust jacket of the original ANTR printed in 1955. Opening to the copyright page I was stunned to see that it is a first edition, first printing in apparently un-read condition.

This copy appears to have been "remaindered" by a bookstore some long ago and forgotten. The price is clipped off the inside flap of the dust jacket, but otherwise the book is 100% intact.

My personal copy of ANTR is a first edition, but third printing. The dust jacket returned to dust long ago. It was pleasant to discover, however, that I recalled it in nearly precise detail. The ship in all it's brilliant light is moments away from striking on the iceberg. The painting was done by Ben Feder, Inc. As I studied it, I became aware that the port sidelight is not shown. Then I realized why. What is printed on the dustjacket is probably a mirror image of the original painting which showed he ship about to strike on the starboard side. The green starboard light had to disappear when they flopped the image to make it more aesthetically pleasing on the dust jacket.

For the rivet counters, the ship is shown with only a single masthead light on the foremast.

On the back of the dust jacket is a portrait of a very young Walter Lord. He is sitting next to a record player (not even a hi fi, just an old record player) with a stack of LPs under it. The typewriter in front of him is a rather flimsy portable machine. It was a long time ago.

And the price for this find...$8 usd.

-- David G. Brown

Feb 7, 2005
Sounds like you stumbled upon an unexpected treasure, Dave. I, too, have a hardbound first edition, first printing, of ANTR. Like yours, the original price has been cut off the inside of the front dust cover. There are two prices written in pencil inside: $2 and $3.50. I don't remember where I got it, but I assume I paid the $3.50! The dust jacket itself is in fair condition--a little ragged, but intact.

I still have a paperback edition of the book published by Bantam Books in 1958 (fifth printing). Price on the front cover: 25 cents!! The picture on the cover shows the aft end of the ship pointing to the sky with a huge white iceberg behind it that looks hundreds of feet high! The "superb new motion picture from the Rank Organization" is announced on the cover, too. My sister gave this copy to me to read when I first got interested in Titanic--not too long after it was printed! It's in fragile condition after years of being read and reread (who knows how many times?!).

I own four different copies of ANTR, more than any other single Titanic book in my collection (I also have an autographed copy of TNLO). I know ANTR has errors in it, but overall I think it's still an excellent book.

There's no denying its impact--it hooked me and many, many others on Titanic!

Denise

Feb 24, 2004
>>I know ANTR has errors in it, but overall I think it's still an excellent book.

Absolutely, Denise. And who knew they were errors back in 1955 when we were getting hooked? Knowledge is cumulative.

This weekend I found a hardbound, first edition copy of ANTR the "Illustrated Edition" at Half-Price Books for $7.00.

Roy

Feb 7, 2005
What a great find, Roy! I would love to have the hardbound version myself (I have the 1978 Bantam Book edition, an oversize paperback). And on top of that, you found a first edition--all for $7.00?? Congratulations!

Denise

Feb 24, 2004
I couldn't believe the price myself. The dust jacket's a little tattered, but so what? The book itself's in fine shape.

It was the second "treasure" I've found recently at Half-Price. Two months ago I found a copy of (out-of-print) Bonsall for $5.00.

Denise, I notice you live in Rocky River. I lived in Cleveland Heights from 1966 to 1972.

Roy

Feb 7, 2005
Ahhh...an "East-sider"! Once a Clevelander, always a Clevelander, I say! If you're ever in the area again, Roy, let me know. We'd love to meet you! And we could introduce you to another classical musician (pianist) who is a serious Titanic buff. He lives in the Youngstown area.

BTW, I have Bonsall as well--a very nice book, I think!

Denise

Feb 24, 2004
Hi, Denise!

Yes, I lived on Scarborough Road just east of the Fairmount/Coventry intersection. The late 60s were what I'm sure was Cleveland's low point. Remember when the Cuyahoga caught fire and Ralph Perk accidentally torched his hair?

Actually, there was a lot about Cleveland I enjoyed. Over the last few years, I've been in touch with a number of current Clevelanders, and the positive things they've been saying make me curious to see what it looks like today. Don't know when I'll ever get back there, though.

Yes, Bonsall is a nifty little book. It's one of those odd transitional works, written just after the wreck was found, but still trying to make the Titanic "myth" fit the latest discoveries. I lost my original copy, so I was overjoyed to find a replacement.

Jul 23, 2008
In my humble opinion this is the best book written about the disaster. Despite later revelations by other researchers I can't think of another book to beat it.

Every Titanic enthusiast owes Lord a debt of gratitude for his foresight in interviewing so many living survivors back in the early 50's. Put it simply, no matter what other Titanic books appear on the scene, I always end up back with ANTR!

J

João Carlos Pereira Martins

Since I have started reading your posts in ET I've tried to find "A Night to Remember" but I can't find it. Even in FNAC, the most important book store in Portugal, people don't know this book when I ask for it. It seems that it doesn't exist in my country but I would be delighted to read it. You talk so much about it that I became curious.

João

May 1, 2004
Joao,

It may or may not be in print.

Look it up in www.abebooks.com

Author : Lord, Walter
Title : A Night to Remember

Hopefully it will lead you to a bookseller that you can order a copy from.

If there, I recommend the illustrated edition. It's more expensive, and the pictures are in Black and White, but the pictures augment the text just right.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Joao, you should also check on the Barnes & Noble website, www.bn.com. In the section for "Books", you can list as your key term "Walter Lord" and the drop-down option can have you check by author's name.
I have seen "A Night to Remember" and other Lord books listed, even ones where it is stated that it is available through other book sellers, when Barnes & Noble does not have a particular title or edition.

M

Matt Pereira

In the book a night to remember, how accurate is the information? Is it worth trusting this author and his research?

Some of what I have read dosent seem to make sense but it is new information and I was curious if I should treat his book the same as I do Ghosts of the Titanic along with Her Name Titanic books.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
There are plenty of other threads here in the Walter Lord section of the forum which will answer your question. But Her Name Titanic is the one you really need to worry about.

M

Matt Pereira

I thumbed through some of the other threads in this section. I do agree what I have read sounds more beliveable and more accurate than in Her Name Titanic, I was just curious as to what other people thought of this author and his work.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Is it worth trusting this author and his research?<<

Walter Lord did a phenomenal job of researching and writing his book, but it's not without it's flaws. He did the abgsolute best he could with what he had...which was a lot more then could be said for earlier efforts...and that included interviewing survivors at a time when there were a lot of them available to ask. Unfortunately, some of the sources weren't always reliable, and some of the really important sources, like the inquiry transcripts, weren't readily available.

One of the reasons he wrote "The Night Lives On" was to correct earlier information and bring new information to light.

[Moderator's Note: This message and the three immediately above it, originally a separate thread, have been moved to this pre-existing thread discussing ANTR. MAB]