A Night To Remember trailer question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan Thompson

Dec 6, 2005
In the trailer for A Night To Remember, they mention "What happened on the ship that stopped within site of the struggle with death but did not save a single life?"

Where did this part of the Titanic's story come from, anyway?

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
It's an obvious reference to Californian, which is depicted in the film in several scenes.

(Exits hastily, before brawl breaks out)

Jun 10, 1999
And that is what makes "A Night to Remember" such a fantastic film, the CALIFORNIAN episode. However Cameron's film was also spectacular, particullary in it's special effects department...the general public who were taken aback by the TITANIC story unfolding on the big screen know little, if absolutely nothing about the eye witness which counted her cry (eight rockets) for help.

Now I relize that there were some CALIFORNIAN scenes origanlly produced by CAMERON that failed to make the big sceen, but if I had had CAMERON'S money and film capabilities I would have set a standard by giving the movie going public a "two" part telling of TITANIC's tragedy in theater. Three and one half hrs. is not near enough time to begin to recount the events which unfolded 14-15 April nineteen hundred and twelve...

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

Jun 10, 1999
Yes Sam...but Cameron included so many of TITANIC's actual moments unfolding... the Charles Joughlin character standing along with Jack & Rose during the stern's final moments. That scene was partially adapted by Joughlin's survivor account of his "elevator ride" wherabouts he stepped off the stern, and kept his hair dry, which was a factor in his surviving the frigid NA water temperature.

I just feel the CALIFORNIAN incident should have been an important inclusion in Cameron's epic film.

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

Jun 10, 1999
SAM: I could not agree with you more. Hench my previous post of a two part CAMERON story. The
unknowing should know about IDA STRAUSS plight to remain with husband ISIDOR until the end. (Absolution) Sure, CAMERON showed them cudding in bed aboard the doomed liner. But ANTR unfolded the bravehearted woman exiting a lifeboat to be with her long married husband.

That is the "true" love story of TITANIC...

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

Ryan Thompson

Dec 6, 2005
I was in high school when the 1997 Titanic came out. For some reason, all anybody could talk about was how "when that guy jumped off the boat and hit the propeller, it made him spin around a lot as he was falling down into the water"

I take it Titanic's propellers weren't spinning at this point, though, right?

Question: At 1:59:23 to 1:59:30, after the sinking, there is real footage of a ship resembling the Carpathia, heading from left to right across the screen. Was this actual footage of the ship?

T

Timothy Trower

Ryan,

No, the footage is a recreation done for the movie. Those files are packed or I would give you a definitive answer, but I'm almost certain that shot was CGI.

T

Timothy Trower

Michael,

If controversy is what helps sell movies, then this has the possibility of being a blockbuster!

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
I think Ryan refers to ANTR. Is the footage daylight footage, before Lightoller is called from the rememberance service in the saloon? (my ANTR is in storage)... if so, this is genuine newsreel footage of the Carpathia.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>If controversy is what helps sell movies, then this has the possibility of being a blockbuster!<<

Fill your boots then! Go for it! Hope you make a million! For myself, I learned a loooong time ago that when the Californian comes in, it's best to get the breakables and the deadly weapons out of the room, then get out of the way.
uhoh.gif

T

Timothy Trower

Paul,

My copies of ANTR are also packed! but I believe you are correct.

Ryan Thompson

Dec 6, 2005
"Is the footage daylight footage, before Lightoller is called from the rememberance service in the saloon?"

Yes it is

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
The footage sure looks like Carpathia.

Could it be a film taken in 1912, after Carpathia became famous? She was gone by 1918.

Dec 29, 2006
Witney
I had always assumed that the reason why certain "big" films such as A Night to Remember, The longest Day and Sink the Bismark were made in black and white was because the film makers wished to use contemporary film, such as that of the Carpathia or the London & North Western Railway train which appears earlier in the film.

T

Timothy Trower

Actually, the budget for the 1953 Fox Titanic was cut to the point that color was no longer an option. It was certainly intended to be filmed in color.

Bob Gibbons would be a good one to chime in on this thread.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Bill MacQuitty (Producer for ANTR) made the point in his memoirs that he insisted on small-screen black & white so that archive footage could be used. He had to fight the case for this against studio execs who believed that, for such an expensive picture, "wide-screen Vista Vision in crystal-clear glowing colour" was a must.

Status
Not open for further replies.