A Night To Remember

Feb 21, 2003
I have ANTR on DVD and after I replaced my DVD player with a new one the movie no longer plays. This is the Criterion Collection version and I have had it for years. Does anyone know if this movie will be re-released on DVD anytime soon in a better format?

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
It's already available, Susan. I had the same experience as you did, and just bought another copy from Amazon a couple of weeks ago. It works fine.

Feb 7, 2005
Mark and Susan,

We had the exact same experience! We bought a new copy a month ago and it seems to work fine. Good to know we weren't the only ones to have this happen.

Denise

Feb 24, 2004
Hi, all!

When my copy of ANTR ceased to load on my old DVD deck, I blamed it on the laser optics because, heck, a number of other audio and video discs wouldn't load either. My new deck played it fine -- until about 3 weeks ago! But the new deck isn't having trouble loading anything else. What is it with this ANTR DVD that it gives so many people so much trouble??

Roy

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
What's the expected life-span of one of these things? Might the original DVD release (which is quite old) simply have died?

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>What's the expected life-span of one of these things?<<

Unless it's one of those discs put out by some movie rental outfits which are designed to self destruct, it should be indefinate. Unlike tapes, no parts of the reader come into contact with the disc.

Jim Hathaway

Dec 18, 2004
I bought a copy of the Criterion ANTR off Ebay and it failed to load, it was returned, and I got another which is OK-
I have read of several people who have had this problem with their disk after it had been on the shelf for a while.

Feb 24, 2004
Hi, Jim!

1) You're fortunate.

2) My copy has never been on the shelf long enough for it to atrophy.

I often wish someone from Criterion/Voyager would drop in on this thread and provide us with some sort of insight. I own several other C/V discs and none has ever given me this problem.

Roy

Jim Hathaway

Dec 18, 2004
HI Roy-
Some time ago, I did contact Criterion when I had my problem, they said they had no knowledge of a problem, but from websites like this, it is not an isolated problem.
I love the Criterion releases, especially their releases of Japanese titles like Harp Of Burma.
It would be interesting to find out if ANTR was among their first.

Feb 21, 2003
I posted in another thread by mistake that another copy of this disc crapped out again. This is the second one I paid for. Has Criterion came up with a solution for this yet? If it is a difference between older and newer versions, then maybe I got 2 old versions in a row.

Feb 21, 2003
There is good news for anyone who owns a faulty Criterion ANTR disc. I received a reply from Criterion about this. Here is the text of the message:

Hi Susan,

Thanks for your email! This is a known problem with older copies of this DVD and we'd be happy to replace it for you. Please mail us your defective disc to the address below, and be sure to include your U.S. or Canadian mailing address inside the package as we cannot ship overseas. As soon as we receive it we'll send you a new copy. I hope this helps, and please feel free to write in again if you have any other questions or concerns!

Sincerely,

Tamara

The Criterion Collection
attn: Jon Mulvaney
215 Park Ave So. 5th Floor
New York, NY 10003

So I am going to send this and insure it naturally and get a free replacement. Up here in Oregon these are running $40.00 per copy and I have bought 2 already. I will post as soon as I receive my new copy from them.

Eric Paddon

Jun 4, 2002
LOL, I wish I'd seen this note about Criterion replacing copies sooner, because I just got a replacement copy from Amazon.com and threw out my old one!

Nov 15, 2006
'A Night To Remember' has been re-released in the U.K on Carlton DVD. However, what you get is. . . . . a new cover and nothing more. The DVD has just been repackaged. The disc is the same double sided disc that contains the film, making of, trailer and cast bios.

What a shame this is all we have had in a 10 year wait for this DVD.