A Page of American Inquiry Book

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 27, 2000
Can anybody help me out? For some research I'm doing I need to look at a single page--p. 570-- of the hardcover edition of the American Senate Subcommittee hearings. If you have this edition and can make a copy of that page for me I'd really appreciate it.

David Gleicher

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
David, to save somebody's scanner a lot of trouble, go to the Titanic Inquiry Project website. The testimony you want is that of Thomas Jones taken by Senator Newlands on Day 7 of the American Inquiry.

I don't have a scanner myself, but I hope this helps.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Apr 27, 2000
Michael,

I know about the material on line, but the problem I am having is reconciling it with a citation specifically from the testimony in the book. I don't think a scanner is necessary as I only want a copy of one little page. A xerox sent to my home would do fine.

DG

Cal Haines

Nov 20, 2000
Tucson, AZ USA
Hi David,

I don't have the hard copy either, but I would suggest that you download day 7 of the inquiry in MS Word document format. It contains the page numbers. I think the page begins with:

Quote:

Senator NEWLANDS. I suppose you get the practice from experience?
Mr. JONES. Yes, sir.
Senator NEWLANDS. Did you ever know a man to go to sleep when on the lookout?
Mr. JONES. Oh, no.

Here's a download link: http://www.titanicinquiry.org/Downloads/AmInq07.zip

The above should start about half way down in this section of Jones' testimony: http://www.titanicinquiry.org/USInq/Am07Jones1.htm

Hope that helps.

Cal

Apr 27, 2000
Cal,

Thanks, but that doesn't address my problem. Go to the encyclopedia titanica bio page for Thomas Jones and you will see a quote from the hardcover of the American inquiry. Bits of pieces of this are to be found in the corresponding on-line testimony of Jones, but not exactly, and one key passage quoted from the hardcover is not to be found at all in the on-line version. I would like to literally see the hardcover page cited--p. 570--to determine whether or not it corresponds to the on-line material. And if, as I assume, it does, then I'd like to know where the quote on the bio page comes from, since it could not have possibly been made up.

DG

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
David G the Second, the passage about the Countess quoted on ET is precisely what was said, except that Jones actually said "my boat" rather than "the boat". If you like to contact me privately I can give you all the story. I'm afraid that their are quite a few errors on the Titanic Inquiry page, most of them of no importance but sometimes there's the odd one that matters.

Cal Haines

Nov 20, 2000
Tucson, AZ USA
Hi David,

I see what you mean. I compared the text from Jones' bio page with the version at the Titanic Inquiry Project and the version on James Cameron's Titanic Explorer CD. They cross check well enough. The first paragraph of the quote from Jones does not appear in either version as presented. It appears to be make up from chunks taken from Jones' testimony (as you have already noted) with the exception of:

"In all I had thirty-five ladies and three stewards, Crawford, Hart and another."

Both version have this as:

"I had 35 ladies and one sailor besides myself, and two stewards."

Jones doesn't use Crawford or Hart's names anywhere.

What is the "key passage" that you are interested in?

Cal

Apr 27, 2000
Cal,

You guessed it, the key phrase is '...and three stewards Crawford, Hart and another.' You see, Edward Hart claimed to be in Lifeboat 15 not 8, even though there is evidence pointing away from the former and toward the latter. For instance, (to cite another obscure error) Gracie lists Hart as an occupant in Lifeboat 15 and(!) Lifeboat 8. The naming of Crawford (who definitely was in Lifeboat 8) and Hart by Jones couldn't have come out of the air could it?

DG

Sep 12, 2000
David Gleitcher

I have sent you an email. I have an entire photocopy of the actual copy of the US Inquiry. And yes, there appear to be many versions of this document.

Dave Gittins and I have spoken about this and if it weren't for him I would not know this, but the one that Dave Gittins has is a set that was sent each day to the POMS during the Inquiry. The one I have is the finished document that was bound by the Government Printing Office. Take your pick.

There are critical differences in some of the numerical data as in one place where the original has degrees marking symbols, a copy has indicated feet marking symbols.

Many of the online documents are hard working people's efforts, but may contain typo's.

Just be aware.

maureen.

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
With a bit of help from David G the second I worked it out. The bio on ET is taken, without acknowledgment, word for word from Colonel Gracie. Gracie has summarised part of Jones' US testimony. Gracie added the names of Crawford and Hart. He also added a third steward where Jones said two. One was Crawford and the other was thought to be a baker.

Hart said in England that he went to boat 8 but it was already being lowered. He went back for more passengers and finally left in boat 15. Maybe Gracie simply read a bit too fast and made a mistake. Don't we all!

Apr 27, 2000
My many thanks to Dave Gittins (aka David G the First)for clearing up the problem, and to Maureen Zotolli, for clarifying the different versions of the American Inquiry. As I wrote to Dave, I can't believe I missed the passage in Gracie which is clearly the source of the bio of Jones. If Phillip Hind is reading this, he may consider changing that bio. I'm not convinced Hart was in Lifeboat 15, but it seems settled that there is only one source, not two,that he was in Lifeboat 8. By the way, it still remains a mystery as to who the other steward was in Lifeboat 8.

David Gleicher

Mar 18, 2000
If anyone does find any typos or errors in the online Titanic Inquiry, please let either Rob Ottmers at the TI site or myself know the details. We've put a lot of effort into making it as error free as we could, but when you're working on reproducing thousands of pages, things are going to sneak in - and become hard to find.

Bill Wormstedt - [email protected]

Sep 12, 2000
I want to take the time to amend what I stated above cause what I said is misleading and very discouraging to those like Bill and friends who have worked very hard on a very great product!

What I was attempting to say is that there are many versions of the US Inquiry out there like the Tom K.whatever his name is editted version. There are a few little summaries of it ( saw one on eBay recently for sale). And when I said "online" I meant that the little CD versions that pop up everywhere have little odd differences here and there. And that was a technical mistake on my part and I am sorry.

But the Inquiry that Dave G. (the greater, Sr? something you want to tell us Big G?) anyway, had was something other than what I had. And there were differences in it.

I had offered at one time to review the whole Inquiry from cover to cover and I may still do that. If the things that are found are to be sent to you Bill I will be glad to do so.

Bill's online version is excellent, but Bill please be aware of the differences in the sources. I would be glad to send you an email, but I think that Dave the Great (love that) has already probably found most of any thing I would ever notice.

As always, She with the big mouth who speaks first and then thinks....aka Maureen.

Mar 18, 2000
Thanks, Maureen.

There's not a lot I can do for the CD versions. We took as our 'bible' the hardcopy version. Some of us scanned the text using OCR software, some of us re-typed the text. Then we editted.

Did we catch everything? Heck, no! Did we catch a lot? You betcha!

We also have two versions (which should be very close to the same) - the onlines, and the download copy.

The Tom K. edited copy? We didn't even look at it - for that matter, we were well on our way long before it ever came out.

And, no, we don't take these kind of comments as negative - we want a 'good' version as much as, or even more, than anyone else!

Credit for the site must go to a number of us - but especially to Rob Ottmers, who was the co-ordinator and organizer, and pusher when need be. Me? I'm just one of the gang!

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Bill, FWIW, my hat's off to anyone who is working and/or contributing to the Titanic Inquiry Project. Transcribing the text of the transcripts to the internet is no small accomplishment! Especially the microscopic text of the BOT inquiry.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Mar 18, 2000
Mike - wanna see my 'new' glasses because of the British Inquiry? ;-)

God, that text was small! I don't think I ever squinted so much - even WITH glasses!

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Bill, I bought a magnifying glass of all things to read it. I would have had to even if my eyes weren't starting to go bad.

So what did you have to buy, O.M.? The Hubble Space Telescope?
wink.gif

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Status
Not open for further replies.