A personal Titanic experience through another's eyes?

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
If you had the option of experiencing the Titanic voyage from Southampton till it sank beneath the surface through the eyes of any passenger or crew member of your choice, who would it be?

There are some ground rules:

- You would not have any memory of your real self for the duration ie no hindsight at all.
- You will experience whatever happened to the person of your choice exactly as they did.
- If you choose someone who was lost, you will 'wake up' safely back as your 21st century self.

When I fist read A Night to Remember as a teenager, my choice was young Jack Thayer but for the last 25 years or so it has been August Wennerstrom.

How about you?

J Burdette

Dec 30, 2011
6th Officer James Paul Moody, because I want to know what happened on the bridge. Either him or Jack Phillips. Phillips because I'm curious about the radio communications.

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Wouldn't be phased as long as I was a third class passenger, much prefer to mingle with those people and experience a small portion of their lives, couldn't handle all the poshness and etiquette of first class I don't think!

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
Wouldn't be phased as long as I was a third class passenger, much prefer to mingle with those people and experience a small portion of their lives, couldn't handle all the poshness and etiquette of first class I don't think!
Sure, I understand. One of the reasons that I chose Wennerstrom myself. You are likely to meet more diverse and interesting characters.

But since you are only allowed to involve yourself in the experiences of one particular person on board the Titanic, do you have any preferences?

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Arun:

No particular preferences - if I had to, i'd probably say somebody like Austin Van Billiard who was reported to have been travelling with some uncut diamonds, seems like a bit of a character. But overall it'd just be good to mingle with that group of people and hear their stories, to me they would be a lot more interesting than first class high society tales!

Adam.

Jun 27, 2012
NAVI MUMBAI
Arun Sir,I had be Captain Edward Smith because i wanted to know why he really rejected the radio messages or First Officer William Murdoch to know what was the situation was when he came know that there is an ice berg near to them.....