A Powerful Novel About the Titanic from 1940?

IanMcD

Jun 9, 2013
Poulsbo, WA
I came across on the New York Times site, published on April 14, 1940:

A Powerful Novel About the Titanic
APRIL 14, 1940

ROBERT PRECHTL, whoever he may be (his book is a translation from the German), has written an interesting, powerful and disturbing novel about one of the best known tragedies of the sea--the sinking of the liner Titanic after collision with an iceberg just twenty-eight years ago today.

You have to get a subscription (which I don't have) to access the full article. Any idea what this book is? I don't know if it has any connection to the 1943 Nazi propaganda film about the Titanic.

I did a search for Robert Prechtl and not much came up. I found an image of the book.

Mirko Herzog

Jan 16, 2006
I came across on the New York Times site, published on April 14, 1940:

A Powerful Novel About the Titanic
APRIL 14, 1940

ROBERT PRECHTL, whoever he may be (his book is a translation from the German), has written an interesting, powerful and disturbing novel about one of the best known tragedies of the sea--the sinking of the liner Titanic after collision with an iceberg just twenty-eight years ago today.

You have to get a subscription (which I don't have) to access the full article. Any idea what this book is? I don't know if it has any connection to the 1943 Nazi propaganda film about the Titanic.

I did a search for Robert Prechtl and not much came up. I found an image of the book.

Hi IanMcD, just a few lines (pardon my poor English!) to let you know that I'm quite familiar with the Prechtl book. Robert Prechtl was actually Robert Friedlaender-Pechtl (1874-1950) and the title of his book is actually "Titanensturz". It was written in 1935, was first published in 1937 in Vienna and then - since the novel was "too friendly" towards Jews - again in London in 1938, in New York in 1940 and in Stockholm (then titled "Titanic"). It centers on a VERY VERY strange fantasy of J. J. Astor and his young wife which, of course, is not the real Mrs. Astor, but a blonde tall mysterious beauty called "Helia" (with references to Atlantis). It's a lengthy (yet well-written!) mixture of all popular Titanic myths and legends known in the 1930s and was in parts shamelessly copied by the German writer Pelz v. Felinau in 1939 who in turn inspired the Nazi propaganda movie (Felinau was obsessed by the Titanic since his youth and later, in the 1950s, told people over and over again that he had been on the ship until he was himself convinced of it)

This is Prechtls bio (in German, of course): Robert Friedlaender-Prechtl – Wikipedia

Regards from Vienna, Mirko