A question about the cloak room

D

Diego Uriol

hello again! (after a long long time) I was checking some plans of the ship and I saw that next to the first class lounge's pantry there is a space called "cloak room", so, as I am Peruvian and there are some words in English which are difficult for me to understand, I wanted to know what "cloak room" means, what it was used for and why it was located near the first class lounge

Regards,
Diego

Ben Lemmon

Oct 9, 2009
A cloak room is basically a room where one would hang up and/or organize their coats, the outer garment worn mostly in the winter. A coat is also called a cloak, depending on the area of Western civilization that you live and depending on the time period. Any first class passengers would have kept their cloaks/coats in that area to be taken care of and watched over. It might have been located near the first class lounge because it was a public place.

Feb 21, 2013
Lloret de Mar, Gerona (Spain)
Actually there were more than one, basically outside of any great public area. I found these:

- a Second Class Cloak Room on Boat Deck (on the raised roof over the First Class Smoking Room)
- two Cloak Rooms next to the First Class Lounge on A Deck
- a Cloak Room next to the Aft Grand Staircase of A Deck
[- a coat and hat hooks on the corridor leading to the Restaurant and Café Parisian on B Deck] <-- this isn't really a Cloak Room

Now my questions are:

1. Were the stewards in charge of collecting the coats? Or it would be something that the passengers would autonomously do?

2. How would they organize all the coats, would they have numbers?

3. Why do the Cloak Rooms only have access to the outside? I mean, let's say someone was to go into the Lounge from the Grand Staircase. It was a huge way to go back to the Cloak Room on the starboard side, even if it was a steward who would do the trip. Wouldn't have make it much more sense to place a door connecting the Cloak Rooms with the rooms they were supposed to service? Also the Second Class Cloak Room on the Boat Deck doesn't make any sense...

aejone6478

Jun 9, 2017
I'd still be interested to know if these cloak rooms were manned and organized by stewards or if passengers just left their coats there.

Dec 4, 2000
Perhaps the term "cloak room" had a different meaning in 1912 Bristish ship than in a U.S. classroom today. Note that the "cloak room" are often located near storage areas for deck games and deck chairs. Why so handy for the deck stewards and so out of the way for passengers? The open slats of deck chairs were not all that comfortable and let cold ocean air penetrate the occupant's backside. Shipping companies often rented pillow designed to increase comfort. Thy also rented out what were often called "rugs" used to wrap ones legs and feet for warmth. The obvious similarity to the naval boat cloak suggests the possibility that "Cloak Rooms" in Titanic were for storage of garments intended to keep passengers comfortable. Anyone up for a few hours of etymology?

-- David G. Brown