A Question about those Boilers

Feb 24, 2004
I'm hoping Sam or Michael may be able to answer this one. What color were Titanic's boilers when they came out of the "shop"? - it's difficult to tell from B&W photos.

The reason I'm asking is that Chooch Enterprises, a manufacture specializing in model railroad add-on parts, has brought out a marine boiler (in 3 scale sizes) which bears a *reasonable* resemblance to those distinctive 3-hole face-plates seen in the Harland & Wolff photographs. They're painted bright silver now, but that alone would never stop a modeller from making changes. You can see them here:

http://www.choochenterprises.com/html/7282_120_ton_steam_boiler_equi.html

Roy

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I never gave the colour a lot of thought. Black I would suppose. In light of the coal dust soaked environment they were set in, there would be little point to anything else.

Later in the Olympic's career, it's not out of the question that they would have painted silver.

Feb 24, 2004
Thanks, Michael!

I suspect you're right regarding black. Last evening I took a peek at KenM's cutaway and black was his choice as well. I settled on two light passes of Floquil "Engine Black" and they coated it beautifully!

Roy