A Survivors Book

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenna Mayes

Mar 15, 2008
Are there any books written (preferably by female passengers) about what really happened on the night the unsinkable sank? Memoirs? It would be so interesting to read ! Thank You!

[Moderator's Note: This thread, originally in the "Aftermath" topic, has been moved to this "Books" subtopic which addresses the same subject. MAB]

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
Eva Hart wrote The Shadow of the Titanic.

Some say it's extensively ghost written, but I can't comment.

There's always Polar, the Titanic Bear by Daisy Spedden. It's hardly history, but it's a good read.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Jenna, I'd recommend Titanic: Women and Children First by Judith Geller. It's not a personal memoir, but it does provide good coverage of the experience specifically of women and children in all three Classes on the voyage, during the sinking, and in later life.

Jun 16, 2003
Hi Jenna

Dave Bryceson has just written a marvellous book about survivor Elizabeth Nye. It would be an excellent addition to your library.

Millvina Dean was interviewed extensively for the recent book 'Titanic, The Last Survivor'. Much of the narrative is in the first person.

I would also second Bob Godfrey's choice. 'Titanic: Women and Children First' is a superb book. I've dipped into it dozens of times and always find something new and interesting.

Violet Jessop's account is fascinating too, even if she does disguise some names.

Edith Haisman also committed her memories to paper and her book 'A Lifetime on the Titanic' is quite charming.

Happy reading!

Status
Not open for further replies.