A Technical Event in Topeka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erik Wood

Aug 24, 2000
All of those here at ET are more then invited to a gathering of rivet counters in Topeka, Kansas on the 20th through the 24th of Septemeber 2002.

This event will be centered around Captain David Brown, and Parks Stephensons "White Paper". We will be discussing the validity of a grounding scenrio as well as discussing the nature of impact and the over result of the speed vs. motion in relation to the iceberg.

Some side conversations will be everything from the actions and amount of personnel on the bridge at the moment of impact as well as any other "outside" factors that may have contributed to Titanic hitting the iceberg, I hate to say it but the Californian might even come up.

Keep in mind that this event will be very technical in nature. I have recieved confirmation from David Brown and Mike Standart that they will be in attendence. There will be no "panel" type conversation. For the most part it will be in open forum. The following is the schedule of events. If you can not make it everyday please let me know what day you will be able to make it.

Friday, Sept 20th: Everybody arrives at various times. If I am given enough advance notice I may be able to pick up as many as 4 guests as well as there luggage. There are no formal events for that evening. However, we will be having a very informal get to know you dinner that night at "TimberLine Steakhouse". At that time I will be passing out directions to where we will be meeting as well as the times for meeting.

Saturday, Sept. 21st: We will be meeting at Denny's at 0930 for breakfast. At 1030 we will all make the journey to the meeting place (which hasn't been decided yet, it will depend on the number of those who decide to waste there time with Dave, Mike and I.). At 1040 will start discussing Dave and Parks is "White Paper". Then we will discuss how things may have changed in relation to the theories behind the "White Paper" and you will all be introduced to the current line of thinking. At 1300 or 1330 we will then depart for lunch at "Chili's". At 1445 we will then return to our meeting place. At this time we will discuss the events on the bridge and the testimony as well as how the actions of the bridge personnel relate to the damage. At 1800 we will are retire to our seperate accomadations and get ready for a night of convivial chit chat at my local drinkery. That will conclude the night.

Sunday, Sept. 22nd:I will be attending sunday services with my wife until around noon. There fore I will meet the group at Applebee's at 1230 for lunch. At 1330 we will continue our discussion that I am sure will be left over from the day before. Depending on the weather and the number of folks we may have a BBQ at my cuurent place or residence at around 1800. This will be followed by a night of light chit chat and your choice of beverages.

Monday, Sept. 23rd: For those that do not leave will have a day of rap up. Discuss in overview all things that have been discussed. The schedule for Monday will be impromptu.

Tuesday, Sept. 24th: I will be ferrying folks back to the airport.

-------------------- -------------------- -------

The main purpose of this event is to get us Rivet Counters together and share some info and insight. The schedule will be prone to change and if that does happen I will be sure to let everybody know as it does. However, the dates are firm. What I am going to do now is suggest some reading for the non rivet counters who would like to attend.

Suggested Reading:

"White Paper" by David Brown and Parks Stephenson

"Titanic Desitination Diaster" Eaton and Haas

Transcripts of both inquiries.

-------------------- -------------------- ---------

That is about it. I ask that all those who plan to attend get a hold of me via email so that I may keep a running tally so I know what size room to get. Also, if needs be I can post a list of nearby hotels there are several as well as phone numbers. Just let me know.

I hope that this turns out to be a great event. I am sure that it will be. Let me know if you need any further information. For the time being Mike Standart is this events XO. If for some reason my computer dies or you have an immiedate question feel free to post it here and I am sure Mike will answer to the best of his knowledge.

Erik

Oct 28, 2000
My intention is to endeavor to attend. (Note the double conditional.) Erik is quite serious about what his personal research into certain technical aspects of the accident and sinking. I'm looking forward to what he presents. Also, he helped make our Titanic Toledo event a rip-roaring success. Should be Fun!

-- David G. Brown

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Well, we all know that I'm signed on for this soiree. Looks like I have a lot of research to do above and beyond the call of research. No matter...it'll be good fun. Watch out though; if we're not careful, we might learn something.
wink.gif

Dave, I really hope you can make it.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Mar 3, 1998
Unfortunately, I am unable to attend. I need, though, to figure out a way to have some new thoughts submitted before a serious discussion of the White Paper is conducted. Because of feedback, there are some aspects to the White Paper that I would like to change; for example, I would like to provide my explanation for ice falling into portholes and onto the well deck during a grounding scenario.

I will work with Dave Brown. Hopefully, we can complete a revision to the White Paper before it is discussed in detail. I would also expect another revision to result from the discussion.

Parks

Erik Wood

Aug 24, 2000
Parks,

Really the only thing that we will be discussing in relation to the white paper is that the grounding took place. The nature of grounding and how it effected the damage, I have my own theory on damage part of it and that will the majority of the discussion. Whilst comparing a similar grounding of another four stacker I have seen that this a structure problem and not a water problem. I am moving along in the research and I will be wrting a "white paper" of my own on my thoughts. One that I would be more then happy to send Parks if he would like on.

If you want I may be able to work something with a phone conference for a short period. Just let me know. If you do revise the "white paper" could you guys at least send it to me and Mike Standart so we can study it before the get togther?

Mike is coming, Dave might be coming, I am coming, perhaps my dog will come too.

Erik

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Parks, I for one would love to see a revised version of the White Paper. You and Dave have been wanting to do it for some time anyway, so have at it! I don't know if the aspects of ice on the welldeck or in the portholes would be useful, but one never knows. It would certainly reflect on what parts of the ship were in contact with the berg.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Mar 3, 1998
Michael,

I would also like to see a revised White Paper, but finding the time to devote to it is something else. Projects keep moving forward, which makes it hard to revisit one from the past. However, thoughts on the grounding scenario didn't end with the presentation of the Paper...they have evolved and take into account seemingly non-related factors (like the ice that fell on board) that we didn't have time to deal with the first time around. My view now is that the Paper didn't make the argument as strongly as we can make it now. If you guys are going to discuss the argument and weight the validity, then I would like you to have our strongest case. Only trouble is, there's a lot of thoughts running around both Dave and my heads, and they need to be brought to maturity and put down on paper. We'll do what we can, but first Dave has to finish his 1913 Great Lakes storm book and I have to finish satisfying my AWA publisher. Having the Topeka deadline, though, might help us focus.

Parks

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Best of everything Parks. If you wish to discuss anything off the list, you know what my e-mail address is.

I know what you mean about time. There are presently two on-line forums where I moderate, with Rod Powers U.S. Military Forum on about.com being the most active. I have to audit up to 600 posts a day and still find time for other things. I'll have to do some prioritizing of my own to read through those transcripts.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Erik Wood

Aug 24, 2000
I too am in the middle of some research into groundings of both the Olympic and Aquitania, which relate to Dave and Parks "white paper". I am hoping to have something written for the get together that involves both Olympic and Aquitania and how there incidents relate to the Titanic.

Then I have my own "transcripts" project. Being able to use the day as I wish is helping me get those things accomplished. I can't wait to see a revision.

Erik

Erik Wood

Aug 24, 2000
What goes through our mind?? Nobody in their right mind would do this stuff for free....except us.

Erik

Mar 18, 2000
Sounds good, guys. Please keep posting news here at ET.

I cannot commit to being able to attend, though I would sure like to. Money being a big piece of the issue.

Erik Wood

Aug 24, 2000
Bill,

If you can only make it for a day or two that would be great. We would love for you to attend. I can't wait, I am already working on my presentation.

Erik

Erik Wood

Aug 24, 2000
Because I have received a few email questions I have a few things to post in regards to the nature of the event:

1. The dates are firm, however until the day before the event the times are not.

2. You might want to bring a few things, which will be included at the bottom of this post.

3. Dress is casual.

4. The nature of the discussion is pruely techincal and will include a work of my own as well as in depth discussion on Dave and Park's "white paper". Come with an open mind, I know that I will.

5. A list of hotels is availbe upon request. I will give you my top picks. All meals that I mentioned above are scheduled breaks, I am sure that there will several other breaks during the discussion times.

6. Depending on the size of the group we will be meeting on my front porch (weather permitting) or a conference room at my church. If the group grows beyond that I will make the approriate changes.

As far as a list of things you may want to bring, it is purely up to you. But here is what I would bring:

Money
Pen and Paper
Your copy of the transcripts
If available Dave and Parks "white paper"
Any other reference books you may find helpful.

Things you will get once you get here:

A copy of my newly written paper.
If availabe a copy of Dave and Parks "white paper".

I will have blow up drawings of Titanic and another four stacker.

I hope that this helps.

Erik

Jul 14, 2000
Hello everyone, I would like to add my name to the list of attendees, but only in pencil at this time.

I would consider it a great honor to be allowed to attend this meeting. I don't think what I might have to say would be considered, "value-added", but I'd love to just sit and listen to all the expert discussion. This topic is one of great interest to me. I have several of my own opinions regarding the matter of collision, but I feel they are probably 'out there'.

One thing I might suggest to Erik, if you can, try to obtain a white board to set up. That way we can grab a dry erase marker and express our ideas graphically for the group.

Yuri

Erik Wood

Aug 24, 2000
Don't you worry Yuri, I am going to have blown up laminated plans of the Titanic and the Aquitania so that I can draw on them. There will be a white board for block drawings, not to mention a break apart model for demonstration.

Let me know by the end of August if you will be able to attend. You might want to (if you havent already) read the first posting above so you can get a general idea of the calendar of events. You don't have to come for the whole thing. Just let me know what days you would be interested in attending.

Erik

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Erik, on the reading list, Iwonder if Titanic, Triumph and Tragedy might not be a better choice then Destination Disaster. It certainly has a lot more technical material and the ship's deck plans. Journey Through Time might also be a good primer though I consider the time differences between the ships asserted to be a little suspect.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Erik Wood

Aug 24, 2000
Agreed. I think that may have been the one I wanted to mention but just got the names of two mixed up.

So far all add to the list Triumph and Tragedy.

Erik

Status
Not open for further replies.