A Thought about why no Info was found on Jack

Jun 3, 2005
You know I was watching the movie over memorial day and at the end I think the guys name was Lovett he said they never found anything on Jack.

Jack won the Ticket so the ticket would not have had his name on it, it would of had the name of the guy who put the ticket on the table during the poker game, so Jack's name would not be on the passenger lists. This is why I think they never found anything on him.

Also, Jack Dawson may of not been his real name either.

Ernie Luck

Nov 24, 2004
Danielle

I am sure you are right, that as far as the story goes, his name would not have been on the passenger list. However, the love story was totally fictional as were the Rose and Jack characters.

Ernie Luck

Nov 24, 2004
Sorry Danielle, I apologise. Looking for reasons why his name was not on the passenger list gave me the wrong impression.

Matt Simons

Mar 12, 2005
Wait a minute, doesn't rose say she never spoke of him until then. Then how will know of his existence, so they could research info on him.

Jul 12, 2003
No problem Matt...but you remember that the initial search was for the necklace. It was only after Rose talked about Jack that his name came up. The crew never said they knew of him or were ever looking for anything on him; just that in all their Titanic investigations, nothing was ever found that indicated a Jack Dawson existed.

Even until they got that phone call from Rose identifying herself as the woman in the drawing, they didn't even know that Rose was still alive. So they probably weren't looking for anything on specific passengers at the time....maybe Hockley since he purchased the bling-bling.

I don't even know if Lovett and his gang were really interested in any of people because at the end, after Rose tells her tale and "introduces" him to people, Lovett says something to the effect that he never let Titanic in before...which I guess means he was never emotionally interested in the human side of the ship.

Does that make sense? Don't know if I am saying what I want to say in the right way. ;)

Matt Simons

Mar 12, 2005
Deborah, Thank You. But before Rose says she never spoke of Jack, one of Lovett's crew guys says, "we never found anything on Jack..." But how would they know to look for him, if Rose never spoke of him. Unless Hockley spoke of Jack before, or Ruth's mother spoke of him before.

Jul 12, 2003
Matt...I guess I am not saying what I want to say the right way...Rose mentioned Jack BEFORE she said she never spoke of him. Remember...she told her story (where jack was mentioned a bizillion times). She ended her tale by saying she never spoke of him. The crew just said they never found anything on Jack perhaps to let her know that they had never heard of him before talking to her. They are just saying that while they were studying the ship and bringing things up, nothing having to do with a Jack Dawson ever materialized.

I do have a question for you...where did you get the impression that the crew was looking for Jack when the search was centered on finding the necklace? If it wasn't for the chain of events following the discovery of the drawing, Jack's name would never have come to light.

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
In the context of the script, the implication is that Rose Dawson was on the "survivor list" as they had learned of her subsequent life after Titanic, but that there was no indication of any other Dawson on the list. However we know that this is untrue because there was a J. Dawson on the crew list. The script writers (Cameron, et al) took creative license in order to tell their story. You simply cannot take any of it seriously or take it as great literature or accurate literature. That's why the script was not nominated for an Oscar - in fact, it was the only major category the film was NOT nominated for.

Kyrila

Steve Olguin

Mar 31, 2005
Also remember that the time-frame in which Old Rose told her story spanned two days, but the scene that crossed-over back to modern day was deleted for pacing reasons. Thats why they would have had time to look up information on Jack. Hence the line "we never found anything on Jack, there is no record of him at all".

There was at least 5 minutes that was deleted in between the scene where Cal gives Rose the necklace and Rose and Jack walking on the boat deck. Remember the line in the trailer where Lizzy asks Brock "Do you really think she was there?" and he replies "Oh yes, I'm a believer". That was part of the sequence that was cut. Another part of the sequence was featured on FOX's "Titanic: Breaking New Ground" in which the rusted superstructure becomes gleaming new with Rose stepping out of the promenade deck, peering down into the forward Well deck.

Nov 26, 2005
Also probably because of the way the character was written, there were probably no birth records or legal records of that sort if you really want to get down to it. He said he grew up under bridges going from one place to the next hopping ships, so more than likely there was supposed to never have been any record of his existance from birth-to-death. At that time (1912) a lot of people existed but had no public records except maybe a certificate of birth. Plus, everything you guys have been saying.
happy.gif
Hope this helps even though it's about 3 months late!

Hilda Jaschke

Apr 22, 2003
EXACTLY! if I am not mistaken at that time there social security had not come into fruition,therefore he would not have had a number.
And depending on where the "fictional" Jack was born in Chipiwa Falls,city or rural(i'm betting on rural)there may have not been any record of his birth.
There may have been census but that is just a name on a census,if one was taken.But that is really the extent of his life.

Jul 12, 2003
I imagine we are talking about present day searches for Jack (in the context of the movie situation) on the assumption that Lovett's gang was looking for Jack, which they weren't.

While still realizing that Jack was a fictional character but treating him as if he did exist, there are ways to find out about Jack when he was in America...if you want to put work into it.

Census' were taken every ten years. The 1910 census was very thorough...that is, it listed the names, ages, occupations, birth places, educational background, land ownership, etc. The 1900 census was similar. So working with those two years, you could look up the city and county and search for any Dawson family...if Jack lived with one of them, great. If not, find out if they had any children named Jack.

Chipiwa Falls probably was very small (would have to look up a map to see the boundaries). City directories existed. However, unless jack lived on his own, his parents would most likely be listed.

If a birth record could not be found, then there probably was a baptism record. Check the churches in the Chipiwa area.

You might check ports for ships leaving America...providing Jack didn't stow away.

May 3, 2005
Of course, if you want to carry the fiction bit ever farther, his name might not have even been Jack Dawson...being an artist it might have been a pseudonym. Maybe his real name was Jacques de Lasagne ? :)
And Chippewa Falls was probably a much smaller town in 1912 than it is today.

Mary Hamric

Apr 10, 2001
My impression was that they checked old Rose out before they flew her to the Keldysh for her story. I imagine that Rose gave some information to back up who she was and may have given Jack's name for the record. It was likely she was asked who drew her picture and that's where his name came up.

She then explained the whole story when she arrived. This is probably why he commented "we never found anything on him at all". I got the impression that "We checked him out as the artist and didn't find any information."

And I take that "I never mentioned him before..." comment as a general statement. Not that his name never left her lips until THAT moment but probably not until she called up Brock and said that it was her in the drawing. It would have been a natural question who the artist was.