A Titanic documentary mystery

Knowles1912

Jan 12, 2020
a few years ago i remember watching a tv dramadoc about the titanic and how the bored of trade investigated it but for the longest time i couldnt find anything about it but this clip is taken from it if anyone remembers the name of it please let me know

Tim Gerard

Feb 26, 2019
Videos don't work on the computer I'm on right now so I can't see the clip you shared, but is it the portion of the British inquiry where the crew of the Californian is giving testimony? If so, here's the IMDb page for "Save Our Souls: The Titanic Inquiry" from 2012.

Jim Currie

Apr 16, 2008
NewtonMearns, Glasgow, Scotland.
Be very careful of these TV drama efforts. Most of them are stitched together to illustrate a pre-conceived idea. The one you drew our attention to has a a number of inaccuracies. The first official Inquiry was held in the US four days after Titanic sank and the UK one was not convened until 17 days after she sank. Then there is section about iron rivets in the bow. You may not know this, but the last place such rivets would be used was the bow. The reason for this is that ship builders were and are very much aware of that the bow of a ship is subject to what is called "panting" stresses...a bit like your chest when running. They claim that the areas in question were hand riveted due to inaccessibility for the riveting machine, That is nonsense since the area of the bow where the original damage occurred was almost vertical and the damaged areas aft of that position were above the round of the bilges... 2 feet above the tank top.
Also the nonsense about Pirie and the three tiers of Lifeboats. In fact, that exercise was done in 1887 by a select committee which rejected the idea of sufficient lifeboats for all and table was subsequently produced for vessels up to 10,000 tons . Titanic over- complied with that table for the number of lifeboats as did Olympic which I understand originally had 2 fewer lifeboats.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Knowles1912

Jan 12, 2020
Videos don't work on the computer I'm on right now so I can't see the clip you shared, but is it the portion of the British inquiry where the crew of the Californian is giving testimony? If so, here's the IMDb page for "Save Our Souls: The Titanic Inquiry" from 2012.

idk i did look into it all i know it was on ether channel 4 or 5