A Titanic idea for a novel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Lemmon

Feb 6, 2008
What do you think would be some good ideas for a novel about the Titanic? I want to touch on the subject of the children who were affected by the sinking. What do you think would be a good storyline? I'm open to any ideas.

Feb 18, 2006
Depends which class you focus on; First and Second class were fortunate far more than Third. I will venture two thoughts:
Young George Washington Dodge, who was transfered by a basket, and who didn't tell his mother that he'd seen his survivor father, which resulted in no small confusion for his parents on Carpathia, and...
Can't recall the circumstances, but one sleepy child barely remembered the sinking/lifeboats/Carpathia at all, admitting, "I thought that ships transfered passengers just like trains."
The littlest passengers of Titanic is quite a compelling idea. Hope you have have a good Muse!

May 27, 2007
How about an Immigrant Teenager with younger siblings. An Irish Colleen and her father and brothers pull up stakes for America only to find themselves on Titanic. I wrote such a story in School. I called it My Shining One or Since It Fell Into My Lot. I saw a old Twilight Zone Episode and came up with an idea that my heroine knew the ship would sink before it happened but her drunken father wouldn't believe her. A pretty hackney plot now when I think back on it.

Ben Lemmon

Feb 6, 2008
I love these ideas. There will be more than one child in the story, and I could use some of these ideas, if you wouldn't mind, for one of the other characters that are a part of his family. Of course, if I ever got it published, I'd be sure to thank you guys for the help.

I like the idea of SOMEONE knowing the ship will sink but not the main character. Too many novels have been published about the Titanic where the main character knew the ship was going to sink (see Titanic Crossing). It just seems overused. There's all these foreseers sailing on this ship. If they knew it was going to sink, why were they on the ship in the first place?

May 27, 2007
quote:

I could use some of these ideas.

More power to you. As for the main Character knowing that the ship will sink, I guess it has been done but my High School english class thought it was cool but to each his or her own. Good Luck.​

May 1, 2004
We've had books about murders (one solved by Jacques Futrelle, one -involving espionage - by Sherlock Holmes and a few by others), love affairs, a young child's toy bear, time-travel. Except perhaps for the bear, those books had a conflict besides the sinking to deal with.

I like the immigrant idea best, because there is the conflict of leavetaking, of the difference between this big, clean ship and what the family was leaving behind, the dreams and trepidations about the new life in North America. Perhaps they have kin waiting for them in the new place, and they will be worried when they hear about the sinking. They will meet new people aboard. People with strange customs perhaps. They may become friends, or they may quarrel. Some good stuff there.

Ben Lemmon

Feb 6, 2008
George Lorton said: More power to you. As for the main Character knowing that the ship will sink, I guess it has been done but my High School english class thought it was cool but to each his or her own. Good Luck. (Thursday Feb. 7)

I want to use this idea. However, it will be someone the MC is close to (cousin), and she won't really know that she's predicting it. Neither would anyone else. They'll find out in the end. Look at the review of "Titanic Crossing" on Amazon. I don't want it to be like that. But thanks for the idea, it gives me a little more juice for my story.
happy.gif

May 27, 2007
quote:

I want to use this idea. However, it will be someone the MC is close to (cousin), and she won't really know that she's predicting it.

Actually I like the sound of that. My character predicting the sinking of Titanic was also in tribute to real passengers who felt an impending doom during the trip. I watched A&E Titanic: End Of A Dream in the early 1990's and Edith (Brown?)'s mother had a strong premonition of disaster and she talked about that premonition and it stayed with me when I wrote my story. Plus the Twilight Zone Episode I mentioned earlier.​

Ben Lemmon

Feb 6, 2008
Hey thanks for all the ideas. I'm still open to some but now I am looking more towards filler information that can be used while the MC is on the Titanic. My idea is that the MC suffers from repression because of something that happened that killed his parents. He hates water, doesn't know why either. Now that it is being "reintroduced" shall we say, he is suffering from flashbacks. Now I want to know what is happening to him otherwise on the "Titanic." Any ideas??

May 27, 2007
He could of been on the General Slocum. Two shipwrecks for one kind of deal. Though that and come off as corny. How old is our character. I can look though all the shipwrecks and see if I can find one that he could of been on as a small child. The General Slocum was 8 years before Titanic but it happened in America. I don't know if MC spent his whole life in Ireland or what have you. If you do decide to use the Slocum it could work in that MC's folks could of died in the disaster and he got sent back to Ireland to live with relatives. Just some thoughts Ben. Good Luck.

Ben Lemmon

Feb 6, 2008
My idea is that he was born in Folkestone. He had relatives living in Southampton and was sent there. The character is 11 years old, with a younger brother of 6. So it has to have happened within 2-6 years before the "Titanic" sank. What I was thinking was that he could have been in a boating accident with his family. Do you know what kind of boats they had back then for just having fun with?

Also, I am now looking for filler information. What would kids have done on the "Titanic" for fun?

May 27, 2007
Actually A row boat might of worked. They might of been fishing. Of course Titanic fans will remember that Jack Dawson had an accident when he fell though the ice while ice fishing with his dad. Yes I remember this don't ask me how.

A lot of kids on Titanic ran around exploring or playing games like kids do now. Bugging their parents.

Ben Lemmon

Feb 6, 2008
Hooray! I've finished the first chapter. I am so happy about that. Do you want me to keep you posted, or would you rather that I keep this emotional outbursts to myself?

May 27, 2007
SWEET!
grin.gif
happy.gif

Hoorah! Hoorah!
I for one would like to know but if you do decide to keep it to yourself just Email me though my profile.

Ben Lemmon

Feb 6, 2008
MERDE!!!! (Pardon my French, literally)

I just found out something. I was going to use cabin E-5 as the stateroom/cabin where the family stays, but it isn't logically possible. I was going to have the MC get caught on E-deck while it was flooding because he went back for something. However, any 2nd-class cabins were near the stern, which didn't really get flooded until it was bobbing like a cork. Frankly, that is too late to be involved in my story. So, here's the paradox I have run into. I need a reason for the MC to have been caught on E-deck while it was flooding. Maybe he got lost . . . or maybe he wanted to use the First-class landing for once. Anyone got any better ideas than mine? :D

May 27, 2007
Have him get lost though that might be hard. To move my story along before the disaster I had my characters exploring the ship which made it hard for them to get lost but I managed to get it accomplished because I just didn't have them explore the part of the ship they got lost in.

Your French is right on Ben. It's correct

Ben Lemmon

Feb 6, 2008
I was thinking along those same lines. I also wrote down what I was thinking. Here's what I came up with. These are my notes for this scene only

----------------------------------------------------
"After grabbing his picture while in his cabin, Jimmy overhears that the Goodwins, in particular, his friend Will Goodwin, haven’t been seen recently. Knowing that his friend’s cabin was on E-deck, Jimmy heads down there, trying to make sure that he doesn’t lose another friend. Meanwhile, Uncle Will is on D-deck, looking for Jimmy in their cabin. Not seeing him there, he rushes down to E-deck, to begin looking for him there. He barely gets down there (using the First Class stairwell) and grabs an unconscious Jimmy out of the water. The pure shock of the ice cold water and the forced entry of water into his body has driven him unconscious. However, it doesn’t last long, as Will gets the water out of Jimmy’s body by compressing his chest. The first modern CPR, shall we say? He doesn’t even know he’s doing CPR though."
-------------------------------------------------

I have too much time on my hands. *sigh*

May 27, 2007
It works they did CPR on the General Slocum Victims in 1904 so it works quite well. Although I think they did it differently back then.

Ben Lemmon

Feb 6, 2008
It was the Silvester method back then. It was kind of strange. Maybe I should use it though. The MC doesn't remember this though, he just remembers coughing out the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.