A Titanic weekend in Ottawa

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
I'm finally getting around to posting this. (Sorry Gavin!)

Back in late July, John Clifford and I spent a weekend in Ottawa visiting the Titanic related sites. While walking around the Chateau Laurier Hotel, we saw the portraits of Charles Hays, the letter that he wrote before departing on the ship, the bust of Sir Wilfred Laurier and the photo of what the Olympic Class ships were originally supposed to look like.

We then travelled to Chesterville and visited the memorial to the Allison's which was very moving. After that, we thought we'd try and locate the Allison family home which took awhile to find, but after asking some local people in a store for directions, we eventually came upon it. One of the locals mentioned to us, that the upper part of the house has not been changed since it was built! We were also told that the owner currently living there has quite a bit of information on the family. Both of us, purchased a postcard of the house and continued on our way.

We arrived at the house, but no one was home. We took a few pictures and decided to come back, after grabbing a bite to eat. We returned to the house, but still there was no answer. So we opted to try one more time the following day. We drove back, but unfortunately still no luck.

It would have been wonderful to see the inside of the house, but one of these days I'm hoping to get back there.

The only site that we didn't visit was the church that has some related items to Hudson Allison. Gavin, I remember you mentioned to me that you weren't sure which one it is. Shelley, I know you've visited the sites, do you know which church it is?

It was a terrific weekend and we both had a blast! At some point, I'll post some photos.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Apr 11, 2001
Jason- it is the Methodist church . Although the house is somewhat changed inside, many original fixtures are still there from the old days. I took a lot of interior photos- the H. A. in the stained glass was memorable as was the fireplace. The owners have some of Bess' dishes still, and a few photos of prize breeding stock on the wall. There are some photos of the house here
www.revdma2.com/Allison.html as well as the little church, which has a plaque in the back about the family.

John Clifford

Nov 12, 2000
"It would have been wonderful to see the inside of the house, but one of these days I'm hoping to get back there."
Of course, Jason, next time an overnight stay at the Chateau Laurier Hotel is "a must". The Hotel has scheduled tours of the facility, with the guides talking about the history of the Hotel. Charles Hayes' story is prominent, of course.

For me, the cost of the tour was included in my bill, but visitors can pay the $5 cost; it's quite fun, to be sure.

Now all that needs to be done is for the Laurier statue on Parliament Hill to be turned 45 degrees, so that he is looking directly at the Hotel.

Jason: I look forward to seeing the pictures. It was a great weekend, and I'm glad you could join me in Ottawa.

Perhaps in 2005 or 2006, we can, both, get back to Ottawa and Chesterville.
grin.gif
happy.gif

In 2004, we both have an appointment to "see the Queen". Yes, Gavin, "there goes my vacation time".
grin.gif
happy.gif

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Shelley,

Thank you for the information. The stained glass window with Hudson's initials on it is absolutely beautiful. I had to settle for a picture of it from the outside. That's a wonderful memorial to the Allison's, keep it up.

Hi John,

Next time I'm in Ottawa, I'll definitely be staying at the Chateau Laurier and go on a tour of the hotel.

"Now all that needs to be done is for the Laurier statue on Parliament Hill to be turned 45 degrees, so that he is looking directly at the Hotel."

That's a good idea. After all, the hotel is named after him.

Going back to Ottawa in the next two or three years sounds good to me.
grin.gif

"In 2004, we both have an appointment to "see the Queen"

Yes, we can't forget about that! Only five months to go now!

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Andrew Maheux

Dec 4, 2000
The Chateau Laurier is a very beautiful hotel. As I live in Ottawa, I've been in there many times and was able to see the things mentioned above. I have never had the opportunity to see the Allison house though but I did drive by the cemetery where Hudson and Trevor are buried.

I have also been wondering about a 3rd class passenger Marianna Assaf, with whom I dont know alot about. She was going to her Nephew at 150 Broad Street. I have always wondered if this house is still standing. I havent checked yet.

I was also wondering if she had any relatives in Ottawa and if it is known when she died. So that I may find an obituary in the Ottawa Citizen, that is if she died in Ottawa. This Im very interested in.

Any info will be very helpful.

Thanks

Andrew Maheux

G

Gavin Murphy

Hi Gang!

Coming in late on this, but an interesting thread. Excellent comments all around.

Ottawa? Yes, v. cool place, etc.

Andrew, take a look at Alan Hustak's book on the Canadian connection to the Titanic. He makes reference to the "Syrians" (who were actually Lebanese) on the T bound for Ottawa.

G

A

Alex McLean

Jason,
Some very nice photos there. Thanks for sharing them with us. Do you suppose you could send me some full size ones someday?
Is that your car, too?
My best,
happy.gif

Alex

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Alex,

You're welcome, glad you enjoyed them. I'd be more than happy to e-mail you the photos later on today.

No that's not my car, I don't own one at the moment. It was a rental car that John had rented for the time we spent there.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

H

Harriet Collingham

Capital Pictures Jason
happy.gif

I'd like to see some more when you have a chance.