A Visit with Barbara Anderson

Apr 11, 2001
Enchanting is the only word to describe yesterday's visit to this lovely lady.Using a digital camera and another old reliable with film, I hope to give you an impression of Barbara and the day. What a memorable afternoon! More pictures and text later tonight.
http://www.revdma2.com/Barbara.html

May 12, 2005
Shell,

Mrs. McDermott's is an extraordinary story. The page is fantastic. What momentos the dear lady has kept! You are the envy of many - including myself - in being able to meet her.

Randy

Jul 10, 2009
I really love the page, Shelley. I am glad that people are taking an interest in the two remaining survivors. Audrey Pearl isthe second, right?

Apr 11, 2001
Yes Audrey is the second. Barbara has never met her -or a Titanic survivor. More photos just came back and am busy getting the second page ready for prime time!

May 12, 2005
WOW! I've gone teary, I'm afraid. Your story is very sweet, Shell. To think this lovely lady, with such zest for living, was once in the midst of such calamity is amazing and inspiring. What a triumph of spirit. And if you two don't look adorable, standing under the rose of sharon tree, I don't know what else to say.

Mar 15, 2001
Barbara certainly doesn't look her age. That was a very interesting write up about Barbara and her story about being on the Lusitania. Shelley, you are very fortunate to have met this lady.

Eric Sauder

Nov 12, 2000
Hi, Mike:

I hear from Audrey Pearl on a fairly regular basis, and the last letter I received was about two months ago. It was very chatty and full of news; so she seems to be doing fine. She turned 87 in February.

Eric Sauder

Apr 11, 2001
A postscript for those who may not read all the threads- today the mother and baby brother of Mrs. McDermott were found. As the graves were unmarked, none of the family ever knew what became of them. Thanks to our "British Braintrust" appeal and Cliff Barry, I was able to call her just now and tell her where and when her mother and brother died. Thanks Cliff- Phil, and this wonderful ET forum- for making this possible. I cannot tell you how happy Barbara, her grand-daughter and great -grandson PJ are to know this at long last. Mrs. Anderson lived a year after the loss of her poor baby, who was born six months after the Lusitania disaster and lived only 5 months. Barbara had always heard they had never recovered from being in the water on that day. Barbara came back to America when the war was over and lived with her father and stepmother. I am wondering about the possibility of a headstone for mother and baby.

May 8, 2001
Shelly, what a wonderful person you are for investigating this and bringing a closure to the family in this way. I am touched, and only heard this small portion.
God Bless.

Mar 15, 2001
Shelley, this is remarkable that you have given Barbara this news. I am sure she will find comfort in knowing where they are buried. Your an angel.

May 12, 2005
Shelley,

Thanks for this good news. I got your email just now as well and am thrilled. The British Brain Trust is indeed an awesome bunch!

I would be more than happy to contribute to a fund to erect markers at the graves of Mrs. McDermott's mother and brother and am sure others will want to do so as well. Is there a chance of Mrs. McDermott going back to England to visit the graves?

Randy

Apr 11, 2001
I think real angels are at work overtime Darren- and Mrs. McD certainly qualifies for wings! Sadly we find the house where she lived is no more, but apparently there was a very active contingent of Quakers in the town- as were the Pybus family- and other landmarks may well exist that Barbara might recall. Soon there will be photos for her, thanks to our British sleuth who uncovered so much information. She is so excited at the prospect of seeing them. Her last trip to the UK was in 1974 when she was 62- am not sure if she would go again- but would not be surprised if she did-not one bit! If there's one thing I have realized this year, thinking back on Walter Lord's last visit- never wait to do things for someone if you can. This is doubly true when age and health are a factor. All our days are numbered and every one must count-do it, show it, say it, today. I remember the sundial at the beginning of Gone With The Wind- Do not squander time- it is the stuff life is made of. Wise words.

Apr 11, 2001
The Ellis Island passenger list service has traced Emily Pybus' (Anderson) arrival at Ellis Island on June 28th 1911. She and Roland Anderson were married in Connecticut, Barbara was born about one year later. Emily crossed on the Cunarder Caronia out of Liverpool and lists her age as 22 on the passenger manifest. Such an interesting and rewarding pursuit this is becoming. Don't know if I would have the endurance to trace hundreds as some of our ET historians do, but when one actually knows someone related to the story, the quest takes on a new light- especially when that someone is as excited about the results as I am! I feel as if I have been time traveling these past two days- sometimes coming back to 2002 is hard to do. The Caronia is a lovely ship -built by John Brown in 1905, 19,524 gross tons, 670 feet long, 72 feet wide, twin screws, 1550 passengers, a troop carrier in WWI and scrapped in 1933. I shall put a postcard of her in the little photo album we are making for Barbara.

Apr 11, 2001
Another update today from our London ET friend, Cliff. We have learned that baby Frank Roland died of bronchial pneumonia a litle over 5 months after his birth in late Sept. 1915. Barbara's mother who passed away in March of 1917 died of a type of consumption, pleurisy, or inflammation of the lungs. She was in her fifth month of pregnancy aboard Lusitania. Barbara recalled that the family traced this condition to her being in the water after the sinking- and now there may well be some truth to that. Tomorrow Cliff will go to visit her ancestral home of Darlington- hopefully she may recall some of the landmarks there in the photos he will take. We are making a photo album for Barbara of places she knew as a girl of 7. The Quaker Meeting House is still standing. The cost of putting up a grave headstone for Emily and the baby is about 500 pounds- or roughly $750 -I hope to be able to make this a project to pursue this autumn. Thanks for all the inquiries and offers of help. Barbara can't understand why so many people care about her and her family- or why she is special and is touched by the many kindnesses.

Apr 11, 2001
The final chapter in this story is furnished by Londoner Cliff Barry. Finally Barbara has the whole story about her mother and little brother, whose birthday is Sept. 30th 1915. The baby was born at home in Darlington. He lived only 5 months. His little unmarked grave is shown below, in a grove of trees. He died of pertussis and bronchial pneumonia March 16th of 1916 at his grandmother's home in Darlington- his grandmother was there to note the sad passing.
38101.png