A Word For Our Own Dr Paul Lee

M

monica e. hall

Anyone who actually bothers to send internet cafe death threats via untraceable webmail accounts because of the Titanic / Californian controversy is so pathetically lacking in a real life that one could almost feel sorry for them ... but not quite.

Interested though I am in the Titanic disaster and (more) it's historical setting, I have never understood the unreasonable passion it seems to generate among some people.

So, good news that Paul is finally getting better.
Yes, indeed. And anyone who cannot join in this human sentiment needs help.

Michael H. Standart

Michael H. Standart

>>So, good news that Paul is finally getting better.<<

Agreed. I hope he got that beer.
Wink

>>Anyone who actually bothers to send internet cafe death threats via untraceable webmail accounts because of the Titanic / Californian controversy is so pathetically lacking in a real life that one could almost feel sorry for them ... but not quite.<<

I can't even manage "almost." This sort of thing is cowardice of the worst kind. The sort of thing you expect from people who don't have the guts to face somebody they differ with in a public venue with anything that a reasonable person might confuse for integrity.

M

monica e. hall

Well, I can't manage "almost" either, Mike. But that's British understatement for you; I don't suppose anyone else gets it, and I'm not surprised
Happy

But what bothers me is not the lack of guts, or whatever else you might call it. It's the fact that an fascinating, but 98-year old tragedy, which has no modern relevance except historical interest, can possibly drive any sane person to such bizarre lengths as to go to an Internet cafe, open an untraceable account, and send death threats to someone who is ill ... and who just didn't happen to agree with them over something that happened so long ago, and which is no longer important. Except as a matter of mutual interest - which should be convivial.

Michael H. Standart

Michael H. Standart

People get their knickers in a wad over a lot less then matters of academic historical interest. Perhaps they think they're fighting some holy cause or some other rediculous thing like that.

Personally, I can't get that worked up over the Californian. What happened is what happened and there's nothing I can do about it. The most I can hope for is to understand it.

Jason D. Tiller

Jason D. Tiller

Staff member
That's great news about Paul. Thanks for the update, Trevor.

T

Tom McLeod

My best to Paul as well. He like many here has a great web-site. I don't agree with everything on it, but in the end, there is a lot likely we will never know. The saddest times are when people get taken down or muted for their ideas. One of the many great things about this web-site is how we can all talk and learn as we go. My position on the Californian is very open minded. Such is so on officer suicides and other hot topics. I don't know either way, but as I have been trained history is about the freedom to question, dig, interview, interact and learn. Captain Lord likely knew the accusation game all to well, I don't know why some think treating others as Lord was, will have a glorious outcome. I only wish the best for Paul, and everyone who uses this site; if we choose to agree or not, peace and good health to all.

Dave Gittins

Dave Gittins

I've just heard from Carly. Paul is still in hospital and might be out in two or three weeks.

He's much more active and even tried to work on Titanic material. The doctors took away his laptop for his own good.

Carly thanks all hands for their good wishes and support.

T

Tom McLeod

Great news thanks for the update. Makes me smile that Dr. Lee wants to get back to work on his interests; that's a great sign. Continued good luck to him and his family.

Michael H. Standart

Michael H. Standart

>>Paul is still in hospital and might be out in two or three weeks.<<

Definately an improvement considering that last month, they were afraid that they were going to carry him out. I hope we'll be hearing from him soon.

T

Trevor Rommelley

I got an email from Carly this morning too. Sound like things are definitely improving for him, and the new material that she put on his website for him is definitely worth reading. I've also had a chance to finish his book and while I don't agree with everything, I thought it was a terrific piece of research.

Jason D. Tiller

Jason D. Tiller

Staff member
That's wonderful news. I'm so glad to hear that Paul's health has improved.

J

James Smith

Paul posted today over at the TRMA website. I presume this is a good sign.

--Jim

Michael H. Standart

Michael H. Standart

I hope we'll be hearing from Paul sometime in the near future then. Whenever he's ready of course. While it could have been much worse, this has been a lousy Christmas for him.