Aberdeen White Star Line Themistocles and Gothic

S

Sarah Evans

Many thanks for your help. I have just had a search on the site you suggested and see the microfilm is there but I fear it may involve a trip to NSW which will have to wait until I can get there from the UK!I understand that there are records held here in Kew, London as well but for that I need to know the port of departure. All very interesting searching though so many thanks for your help.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Ah....you're in the UK, Sarah! Sorry, I didn't realise that. Yes, you may be best off going to Kew - great archives, but I know what it can be like sifting through those passenger lists.

If I get a chance I'll have a shoofty around here at the Maritime Museum in Oz to see if we can do anything to give you a hand. What were the names of your ancestors, if you don't mind me asking?

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Sarah, Gillian here at the ANNM's research library has done some digging for you.

The Themistocles was still traveling between London and the ports of Australia between 1920-1922, making two voyages per year. The vessel usually went London - Capetown - Albany - Melbourne - Sydney - Brisbane - Newcastle - Sydney - Melbourne - Fremantle - Durban - London.

The departure dates for the Australian ports on the outward bound voyages were:
Brisbane: 24 February 1920
Sydney: 3 March
Melbourne: 10 March
Fremantle: 18 March
Date of arrival in Plymouth: 27 April 1920 (date of arrival in London not recorded).

Brisbane: 29 August
Newcastle: 2 September
Sydney: 10 September
Melbourne: 18 September
Fremantle: 29 SeptemberDate of arrival in London 12 November 1920

Brisbane: 14 March 1921
Sydney: 2 April
Melbourne: 6 April
Fremantle: 12 April
Date of arrival in London 25 May 1921

Brisbane: 27 August
Newcastle: 30 August
Sydney: 6 September
Melbourne: 10 September
Fremantle: 18 September
Date of arrival in London 28 October 1921

Brisbane: 1 February 1922
Newcastle: 5 February
Sydney: 11 February
Melbourne: 16 February
Fremantle: 23 february
Date of arrival in London 3 April 1922

Brisbane: 24 June

Newcastle: 29 June
Sydney: 4 July
Melbourne: 8 July
Fremantle: 15 July
Date of arrival in London 24 August 1922

This information was taken from various issues published between 1920-1922 in the Daily Commercial News and shipping list.

Hopefully you may find the information you need for your search there, if not for Kew then for when you get back to Oz.

Let us know how it goes!

S

Sarah Evans

Hi again
Thanks ever so much for the information on the trips that the ship made. I fear I may have my work cut out trying to trace my relatives as I don't know as much as I would like. My greatx2 Aunt was called Agnes May Herbert (born 1900) and married a Jo (Joseph?) Allen. We believe they were married before they set sail but can't be sure or even if they sailed together (we have a postcard which Agnes wrote and she is in a cabin with 8 other girls but I believe they may have had single sex cabins) and I don't know whether he was English or Australian. We do believe that they had 2, possibly 3 children once in Australia and do have possible photos of them, so it is highly likely that I may have relatives out there somewhere. No-one in the family (though there are very few of the older members left) seems to know why they should have gone to Australia.
I will let you know if I have any success in my search but even if I don't have any luck it has been nice finding out about the ship they travelled on.
Many thanks again
Sarah

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Hopefully you can trace them on arrival in NSW, Sarah - there's only 6 arrivals in Oz for that period you need to check. Best of luck with it!

richard edge

Jan 20, 2005
My great-grandfather, Walter Edge was buried at sea from the Themosticles in 1914. Are there any records of "buried at sea" kept anywhere? Would anyone have any idea where I might get info about crew/passenger lists?

Thanks
Richard Edge

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Richard, your great-grandfather should be included in the GRO's Index of Marine Deaths. This should include information such as cause of death, name of vessel, location (either a port or lat/long). I'm hoping to get to the Family Records' Centre in April - if I do, I can look him up for you.

Michael is correct that this information should also be included in the official log. This may also contain a few additional notes on the circumstances of his death.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Sorry - that information would be if he died at sea and was buried there...if he died on land and it was arranged he be buried at sea, then your best bet would be the Official Log or local newspapers that might carry his obituary.

richard edge

Jan 20, 2005
Thanks All
Have now got a copy of the GRO index for Walter. He died of TB and heart failure in the Atlantic just south of the equator off the west coast of Africa. What he was doing in Australia before that is the new mystery as nobody in the family knew he'd been there!
Thanks again
Richard

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Excellent stuff, Richard - and very quick work! Looks like you've confirmed the family tradition.

Let me know if there's an Oz angle you'd like me to chase.

richard edge

Jan 20, 2005
Hi Inger
The Oz angle is a totally new line of enquiry. How do I find where/when the Themistocles departed Oz and if there was a passenger list?

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
If you send me his date of death, Richard, I can ask our Library staff to look up the departure date.

There should be passenger lists for the voyage - where they're held depends on the date. The link I provided above should give you more information on where they're deposited.

richard edge

Jan 20, 2005
Walter departed this earth, (and the Themistocles!) on 16th Feb 1914.

Thank you so much for all your help
Richard

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
This might be of help, Richard - the ship's movements as gleaned from the The Daily Commercial News and Shipping List, courtesy of Gillian:

6 January 1914 arrived in Sydney from Newcastle
10 January 1914 left Sydney
15 January 1914 left Melbourne
23 January 1914 left Fremantle
4 February 1914 arrived in Durban
28 February 1914 arrived in Plymouth
1 March 1914 arrived in London

richard edge

Jan 20, 2005
Does anyone know if there is an online searchable database for passengers and/or emigrants to OZ pre WWI? My great-grandfather died while coming back from Australia (see above)on the Themistocles and I've been unable to find any information why or where he went.
p.s. My family seemed to be a little unlucky on ships at the time, my g-grandfather cousin went down with the Titanic!

Joanne Flack

Apr 15, 2006
Hello

Interested in this ship ss THEMISTOCLES. Searley family arrived on it March 1913 into Melbourne. Would like any information re this voyage - port of depature, length of voyage, number of passengers, etc.

Any information gratefully accepted.

Regards
Joanne

H

Helen McGrath

I'm also searching for an online passenger list for the Themistocles 1911 maiden voyage. Looking for Clara Hartley who I believe was a passenger.
Can anyone help please?