Abridged Edition vs First Edition

Matthew Farr

Apr 14, 2010
Lansing, Michigan, United States
I recently purchased a paperback copy of this book that, according to titanicbooksite.com, is an abridged version. Can anyone tell me how this edition compares to the first edition? What is left out, what is edited? etc...

Thanks
Matthew

Dec 4, 2000
Matthew-- What abridged book are you talking about? We need the book name, publisher, date, and editor's name to give you an answer.

When research my "Last Log" book, I compared Jack Winocour's version ("The Story Of The Titanic", Dover, 1960) with an original copy of Lightoller's book. Actually, a librarian friend obtained the copy and we went through the portion about Titanic word-by-word over the telephone. Winocour's version was accurate.

-- David G. Brown

Matthew Farr

Apr 14, 2010
Lansing, Michigan, United States
David,

The book I am asking about is Titanic and Other Ships by Lightoller. It is published in 1939 by Bay Tree Books. I apologize if I caused some confusion, I assumed that by posting my message under this topic people would assume I was referring to this book.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Matthew, if nobody has answered by now, then it's likely that there is nobody here who has that information. My own understanding of the situation is that there were parts in the unabridged edition which were critical of White Star and which were removed because of the threat of a lawsuit for libel.

Beyond that, I can't offer any details.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Somewhere in the zillions of posts on this site there is discussion about small changes made to the book for legal reasons. As I recall, it was the Marconi company that was not happy, (or was thought to be not happy). The changes were trifling.

The Winocour version mentioned above is accurate, but it only has the chapters about Titanic.

The entire book is online at the Gutenberg Project. I believe it's still copyright in the USA, but not in Australia.

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Somewhere in the zillions of posts on this site

Not quite zillions, Dave, only 206,136, before this one.

;-)

I believe it's still copyright in the USA

That's my understanding as well.

Jul 23, 2008
ET subscribers might be interested to learn that you can pick up Lightholler's book now very reasonably - also Patrick Stenson's biography. I purchased both books for under £20 each on Amazon a few weeks ago.