Accident to the Crown Princess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Russo

Apr 10, 2006
It would seem that the sway and roll would be felt much more on the top decks of these ships simply due to the distance from the center of the pitch which I imagine would be somewhere near the waterline.
Since it seems these ships depend more and more on equipment for stability, what would happen if they lost power? Are they less seaworthy than ocean liners such as the QM, QE or Normandie were in a similar situation?

Erik Wood

Aug 24, 2000
The ship apparently was on auto pilot when this incident occured. This confirms fears by other mariners that there maybe a flaw in some of the newer shipboard navigation equipment, especially as it relates to at sea course changes over 12 degrees.

There has been a stipulation placed on the Crown Princess by the Coast Guard which requires it to operate on manual helm within certain depths.

This information is currently giving a lot of speculation regarding what system failed. By all current reports the steering gear has been checked and rechecked and there is no, nor was there a failure of the steering gear. This is pointing to a failure in the automatic navigation system in my view. A system that several (including myself) have complained about in the past. These systems (not necessarily the same as the one on the princess) are on most if not all modern cruise ships and freight vessels.

Rest assured that investigators and the NTSB are still investigating and will make appropriate and safe recommendations for changes.

If you reread some of the older posts from near 4 years ago, I cited on this site my concerns.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>If you reread some of the older posts from near 4 years ago, I cited on this site my concerns.<<

To name a few and not without good reason. There's nothing more frustrating to say nothing of potentially dangerous then machinary and equipment that suddenly has a mind of it's own with a mean streak thrown in for good measure. If there was no mechanical glitch in the system, one has to start wondering about the software.

According to a report on the Maritime Matters Ship News Weblog (See the July 23, 2006 entry at http://www.maritimematters.com/shipnews.html ) the Coast Gaurd stipulated the following: "One new condition applied by the Coast Guard requires the crew to manually steer the ship while in water less than 50 meters deep." It also indicated that the ship's crew had reported problems with the steering before this accident happened.

Joe Russo

Apr 10, 2006
You're right. I just looked on Fincantieri's website and saw it. Here is the side view of the ship. Not much below the waterline is there?
113012.gif

Dec 3, 2005
I always find the lightness of cruise ships amazing...that such little draft can hold up such a big machine. It's a hell of a trick to pull that off, I imagine.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
quote:

...as to not come aground on an under water ice shelf if it came upon an iceberg in the caribbean
Well that would be something, if they encounterd an iceberg in the Caribbean
grin.gif

"Am I missing something"???
lol.gif

Yes, I know many of these ships sail up to Alaska, as well. Though it would be rather hard to miss some of the 'bergs they show, especially with GPS Navigation.​

Dec 3, 2005
Oh, I'm sure the numbers all work out. I'm just saying that it's impressive how buoyant they are. If you make 'em fat enough, they'll just float like a lily pad.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Princess Cruises published an open letter on it's website yesterday which can be read at http://www.princess.com/news/article.jsp?newsArticleId=na825

An interesting paragraph goes as follows:
quote:

We can appreciate there may be concern as to the cause of this incident, and questions about whether it could happen again. As you may be aware, there is an investigation into the incident being carried out by the U.S. authorities which has not yet been fully completed. It would therefore be inappropriate for us to comment in any detail before that investigation is complete and the results published.

However, we can confirm that the incident was due to human error and the appropriate personnel changes have been made.
Translation: Somebody got sacked even though the investigation is not complete.​

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
>It was Gilligan ;)

And, about time he was dismissed, too. "Little Buddy" notwithstanding, he was lucky to have escaped with his life the first time around. Had the obvious thing happened, no jury in the world would have convicted whichever of the six finally snapped.

>Translation: Somebody got sacked even though the investigation is not complete.

Further translation: This generated so much horrible publicity that we felt the need to do SOMETHING that gives the appearance of positive action. So, we sent out this oddly worded statement that gives us the appearance of our having fired people before all of the relevant information was gathered and interpreted.

113028.jpg

Erik Wood

Aug 24, 2000
I somewhat concur with Jim's assessment of the letter posted by Princess/Carnival. While I am not sure who they fired....I have heard rumor that it was NOT Captain Proctor and that there were several that where either transferred, demoted or sacked.

No matter what some personnel changes on that ship needed to be made if there is even a hint of a human error. The investigation is not complete, nor will it be complete (on the NTSB side) until the fall legistlative session.

I am eagerly awaiting the final word.

Mar 22, 2003
Chicago, IL, USA
www.titanicology.com
The problem with this from a PR sense is that if several people were involved it gives the public the impression that Princess/Carnival is not too particular in who they hire. A single individual is one thing, but a group of people is quite something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.