Actually still on board when ship sank

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
Others, perhaps Thomas Andrews, may have resigned themselves to their fate and remained below?
Thomas Andrews was last seen on the bridge together with Captain Smith.
For example, the brave Engineers were still at their post till the very end and so they must have remained there as the Titanic broke-up and sank.
Most of the black gang was released at about 1.20 a.m. and at last eight Engineers were later seen on deck. Chief Bell is also reported to had been on the poop deck at the end.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 27, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
Thanks for the information, I thought that maybe that was a myth but I looked at both inquires and Cecil was never called as a witness or maybe I am missing something? If I may Ioannis where did you find this information?

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
Fitzpatrick was not called at the Inquiries. He gave a few newspaper accounts where he mentioned both at the bridge. The one I have is from the "Western Daily Mercury" 29 April 1912.

"I then went for's'd on the port side, and I was passing through the bridge when I saw Capt. Smith speaking to Mr Andrews, the designer of the Titanic. I stopped to listen. I was still confident that the ship was unsinkable, but when I heard Capt. Smith say: "We cannot stay any longer; she is going!" I fainted against the starboard side of the bridge entrance."

After it he helped with a collapsible boat and was washed off from the water flooding the deck.

Apr 18, 2014
Czech Republic
Ioannis, I have heard many versions of where Mr.Andrews was in his last moments. The truth we will never know, I´m afraid. I have even heard the possibility that he was in the smoke room, and afterwards went out to the deck to help with all the necessary stuff. I think that he was definitely on the bridge with Captain Smith announcing the estimated time of her foundering. But, I dont think there was also Ismay and Murdoch, as Cameron movie suggests - on the bridge when Mr.Andrews announced her fate, were imo only Smith and Andrews. By the way wasnt there an funnel above the 1st class smoking room?

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
Fitzpatrick was the last one who saw Andrews a few minutes before the sinking.
Andrews was not on the bridge at the same time with Ismay. Actually they did not met.

Jan 27, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
"Fitzpatrick was not called at the Inquiries. He gave a few newspaper accounts where he mentioned both at the bridge. The one I have is from the "Western Daily Mercury" 29 April 1912."

Ioannis, Thanks for that informaton, I had not heard that before.

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
He stated that Andrews and Captain Smith rush past him and when he looked again they were gone. He supposed that they went overboard. Some survivors like Bride mentioned that Captain Smith jumped overboard. Quite possible that Andrews also jumped overboard (or was washed off as Fitzpatrick).

Apr 18, 2014
Czech Republic
Ioannis, that really brings a new light on Mr.Andrews´life, what you said.And the testimony of Mr.Bride sounds very interesting, too. Do you know how long after the disaster Mr.Bride found out about the death of his wireless colleague Jack Phillips?

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
Sure when he got aboard Carpathia. I do not think he knew for sure while on board B. Steward Whiteley claimed that Phillips made it on board B and died there, Lightoller and Bride seemed to have take it as a fact and Bride later claimed his body was taken aboard Carpathia and buried at sea, but this was not the case.

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
There were people coming and going from Collapsible B for some time after Titanic went under, I think it would have been pretty difficult for anyone who was on there to be able to state with certainty who else was or wasn't with them - that wouldn't have been their first priority, after all!

Cheers,
Adam.

Apr 18, 2014
Czech Republic
I have now read in one book, that someone said Mr.Andrews and Captain Smith had their lifebelts on and when the ship was in her final phase of foundering, the coming wave knocked them down into water. Never heard of that theory afore.....

Nov 13, 2014
Belgium
I don't really believe that story. Captain Smith possibly died in the bridge zone (like James Cameron's movie depicts it). Harold Bride stated he saw Smith jump into the sea as Collapsible B was washed off the ship, but the only thing he saw was somebody in an officer uniform jump. Second Officer Lightoller stated he jumped at the same moment.

Thomas Andrews maybe died in the first class smoking room, still standing as he was last seen by John Stewart. Other survivors however saw him jump into the sea just before Titanic sank.

I'm afraid we'll never know how Smith & Andrews really died, but I think they knew enough about the Titanic to not let themselves be surprised by 'The Big Wave' which washed Collapsibles A & B away from the ship.

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
John Stewart left in lifeboat No. 15, he saw Andrews before he left the ship. The last sighting of Andrews was by Fitzpatrick (who made it on the overturned boat B) and was Close by at the Bridge.
Bride was clear it was the Captain he saw (also a few others mentioned that too).

Ryan Burns

Sep 23, 2016
Off the top of my head we've got:

Thomas Dillon - went down with the ship
Charles Joughin - went down with the ship
Frank Prentice - jumped as it stood nearly vertical after the breakup.

Any others?

Ryan Burns

Sep 23, 2016
Off the top of my head we've got:

Thomas Dillon - went down with the ship
Charles Joughin - went down with the ship
Frank Prentice - jumped as it stood nearly vertical after the breakup.

Any others?
Just want to note that a mod moved my above comment into this thread for some reason. I had posted a new thread specifically asking about people who survived the breakup on the stern.

Really wish a mod hasn't done that since my thread was regarding a specific topic as opposed to this year old thread. Oh well.