Ada Murdoch

L

Lynda Franklin

Can anybody tell me anything about Murdoch's wife where they met ? Where married and whatever became of her after her husband's death ?Thanks

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Ada Florence Banks seems to have met William Murdoch on board the Runicin 1903 - the New Zealander joined the vessel in Sydney, en route to the UK.

Following Murdoch's death, Ada returned to Christchurch, NZ (date unknown - she appears in 1917 electoral rolls). She lived quietly there with her father and unmarried sisters, her father and one sister dying in 1923, the other in 1932. She inherited Murdoch's estate, life insurance, and a small stipend from the Titanic disaster fund - this last ceasing in 1929. In 1939, in poor health, she went into a Christchurch nursing home and passed away on 21 April 1941. Susanne Stormer has written most extensively about Ada and her post-Titanic life, most notably in A Career at Sea.

M

mark garfien

I read on some website that he shaved his mustache for his wife. is this true? or did he do this because he just wanted to.

L

Lynda Franklin

I always thought it could have been a combination of both his wife and a personal choice .

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Speculation as far as I know - I am unaware of any primary source that says Ada made him do it!

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>That's married life for ya.<<

Ya think?

More like what happens in the life of a career sailor when the timing just isn't right. I'm sure that Will and Ada had plenty of "passionate nights" whenever they were together, so it wouldn't be for lack of trying. The problem is that when one spends more time at sea then he possibly can with his wife, her share of the genetic material may not be there when his arrive for the party.

It's all in the biological timing and for some, the timing is just off.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Yes.

Closest living relative (at least I hope he's still in good health!) is his nephew, Scott Murdoch. A very nice chap, who is a delight to share a drink with.

L

Lynda Franklin

Okay cause I am too lazy to start another thread on this small topic .This is a tag of a poem by John Henry Mackay Is that all of the poem and where would it be found .

'Whatever obstacles control,
Go on, true heart,
thou'lt reach the goal.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>'Whatever obstacles control,
Go on, true heart,
thou'lt reach the goal.<<

Errrrr call me confused but meaning...what?
eh.gif

If it was the question of trying to have children, it occurs to me that persistantly trying might not have been enough. Ada may well have been unable to concieve. She wouldn't have been the first woman to have that problem, and unfortunately, the fertility treatments which we take for granted today just didn't exist.

L

Lynda Franklin

Excusse me for being confused but what !!!!!?????!!!! DID I SAY ANYTHING ABOUT HAVING CHILDREN .And how did this subject get on the little brats anyway the original question was just on Ada and what had happened to her.It was a separate question in entirely.I thought I made my statement clear enough.I just REREAD my own post I did.

L

Lynda Franklin

Never mind .Micheal it isn't worth the bother .I am sorry I brought it up to start with.It was just a silly question on poetry that murdoch wrote but I found the answer.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Lynda, I was speaking to the question of Ada Murdoch having children...a question that was discussed in this thread...which your bit of poetry seemed to speak to. I'm afraid the problem with that quotation was that it decidedly cryptic, so I hope you can see where it might have had some of us a bit confused about your intent.

L

Lynda Franklin

Micheal after rereading and seeing it from your vantage point .Yeah cryptic most definately so my apologies, today has not been my day.Sorry for snapping at you.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Hallo Lynda -

The Mackay poem is a bit mysterious - last I heard, Murdoch researchers were trying to trace the tag, but hadn't yet identified the poem. Perhaps they have since managed to do so.

Mackay himself - as you may be aware - was a controversial figure. While some researchers have read a good deal into Murdoch's decision to cite a few lines of his poetry, it may not necessarily indicate that Murdoch shared Mackay's views. It's a fairly conventional quote, reflecting standard Edwardian values, and Murdoch may have seen it in another context and liked it without having read Mackay extensively.

I know I've got a stock set of quotes I like to use for matters like menus, farewell and birthday cards etc!