Addison Hart

A

Addison Hart

Hello all, I guess I'll have to introduce myself to the lot of you all. Some of you guys may be familiar with me from Mark Taylor's Email Group, I'm the guy who did that Chronology and vanished. My computer crashed and when it was repaired I couldn't find Mr. Taylor's Group (Got URL?). How aggravating!
Anyway, I'm a good Southern boy living in the North, in the USA. Glad to see how much Mr. Hind has expanded this site (I remember it as a wee thing crawling around on the web with a dozen biographies and most of them pictureless). Got to hand it to him! Well anyway, glad to be back.

Addison Hart

Dec 2, 2000
Welcome Addison.
Glad you found Phil's site and that your computer is doing better. In which of the northern states are you living? I was born in Wisconsin, but live now in Virginia now.

Well it was gret to read about you and I hope to read your posts here.
Maureen.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I was born and raised in Pennsylvania, then we moved down to South Carolina. I even have the Confederate flag on my car now.

This site is indeed a gem, and I can only guess at how much work phil has to do to maintain and improve it as he constantly does. Nowadays, it's THE site others try to copy.

Welcome aboard shipmate.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

A

Addison Hart

Well, I was born on the Battery at Charleston, SC, not a mile from the Fort where the big CW began (BIG interest of mine), moved to DeKalb, IL, for work in 1997. Been there since. Good to meet you, Maureen and Michael H. Standart. Now I must figure out how to change my password.

Phillip Gowan

Apr 10, 2001
Hi Addison,
Born on the Battery, huh? Now that's impressive. I have a painting on my living room wall of the Battery with waves surging from Hurricane Hugo. Any time I make the trip to Charleston I have to make at least one drive around the Battery--and maybe someday if I win a lottery I can live there!

Phil Gowan
Florence, SC

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
What's wrong with the password you have? Of course, if you have to change it, you might want to poke around through "edit profile."

One of my books deals with the Confederate Navy. We may find it worthwhile to open a discussion in the Other Ships And Shipwrecks folder if some interesting bit of news comes up.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Tracy Smith

Apr 20, 2012
South Carolina USA
Welcome, Addison. I also live in SC, and am a transplanted Yankee. However, my father grew up here and I have Confederate ancestors, so I'm only half a Yankee. :). And my mother's family didn't come to the US until 1912 from England, so I have no Union ancestors at all. And I'm glad they chose the Baltic instead of the Titanic!

Anyway, I'm slowly becoming interested in the Civil War, because of my interest in genealogy. My great great grandfather was a Confederate soldier...and I've even found a website devoted to the particular unit he was in. I'm still a rank beginner when it comes to the Civil War and will be for some time to come. I've always been interested in the Second World War, though, and I've been reading about that since my teen years.

I look forward to seeing more of your posts.

A

Addison Hart

Hey Philip! Haven't seen you in a while (got a link to Mark Taylor's List?). Had to leave Charleston because of Hurrican Hugo, remember when St. Philip's doors flew into our backyard! I must confess I've been a Reb all along, with John C. Calhoun's grave literally two steps from our front door.

A

Addison Hart

Sounds good Michael! Glad to meet you too Tracy. Where in SC are you?

A

Addison Hart

Oh yeah, Anderson. Drove through there once. nice place. Here that SC is getting cold, with ice and all! Well you guys are, for once, lucky...except for the ice. bet it's the coldest winter for some time in SC!

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I'm in Easley. it's just a loud shout from Greenville on one side, and Anderson on the other. Ironically, one of the reasons moving down here was so appealing was the lack of snow.

Now I'm looking out my window and seeing all knids of the stuff. If that predicted freeze happens tonight, the whole upstate is going to come to a screeching halt.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Phillip Gowan

Apr 10, 2001
Mike,
Interesting how perspectives differ--how I'd love to see the white stuff falling--I so miss the big snowstorms in the hills of Tennessee. Send it down my way-(now the cold, constant drizzle today in the Pee Dee is a different story).

Phil

A

Addison Hart

We got 2 inches the other day in DeKalb and there's a big storm front coming. Soon I'll have icebergs growing in my birdbath.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Hi Phil, if I was back in Pennsylvania, I wouldn't mind so much. They have snow removal equipment there and people generally know how to handle slippery roads and black/glare ice.

Not so down here in SC. I'm wondering if they're even going to have the schools open tommorrow.

Addison, better the bergs in the birdbath then the North Atlantic.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Welcome Addison.
Missed your Chronologies. Hope to see them back on the Lists.

For those interested in the Civil War: here's an interesting observation: a Washington DC Building held a Civil-War-related meeting; then, 53 years later, two men, who had a lot to say about the Titanic, stayed there.
Questions: What was the building?;
What was the Civil-War-related meeting?;
How was it related to the Civil War?; and,
Who were the two men who had a lot to say about the Titanic?
Bonus question: Which Titanic Officer felt he should have joined those two men?

I may have to mail 2 pounds of See's Candies to the person who answers all those questions at once.

Good luck.

Dec 2, 2000
The Willard Hotel was the Continental Hotel?

The Officers were moved to a different floor, but after they complained about being so close to the rest of the crew and were in such close quarters, the crew was moved to a lesser quality hotel.

Abraham Lincoln was smuggled in there by Detective Alan Pinkerton on 2/23/1861.

A Peace conference attended by some 24 states met there from 2/4to 2/27/1861. They met to try to bring peace to the nation.

On 2/21/1913, limitation of liability for Titanic was sent to the Supreme Court. Ismay and his lawyer Burlingham could have met at the Willard possibly?

Officer Lightoller would no doubt have wanted to be there?

These are just guesses.
Maureen.

Tad G. Fitch

Dec 31, 2005
Dear Addison,
It is good to see you on the board. I fondly recall your posts with the chronology of the events as they happened on the anniversary of the sinking. Welcome to the board.
Best regards,
Tad Fitch