Additional Supplies?

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
I am not sure how many personnel - passengers and crew - were on board HMS Carpathia when it picked up survivors from the Titanic disaster, but the sudden addition of 716 people must have strained its supply of food and especially fresh water. How did they cope? Did they receive additional supplies from other ships on the way back to New York or did they make do with what they had?

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
During that time Carpathia was not HMS, she was called RMS or SS.
Actually it were only 712 survivors. I can not remember the exact numbers but aboard Carpathia had about 790 passengers and about 300 crew aboard. She had enough supplies to go back to New York and more.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Captain Rostron had intended to go right into the Mediterranean, so he had plenty of provisions. On the way back to New York he radioed for more. There must have been quite a scramble to get them on board before Carpathia sailed again on the Friday afternoon, after arriving on Thursday night.

Rostron's shopping list contains some odd things. 500 pounds of crew coffee. (Was it cheap and nasty). 200 rolls first toilet paper. 200 rolls second toilet paper. (Tough luck, third class). 50 one pound packages cotton wool.

Rob Lawes

Jun 13, 2012
England
I love the fact that toilet paper had a class. Can't offend those delicate First class bottoms.

And yes, regarding crew coffee, if the stuff we were issued with in the RN is anything to go by, cheap and nasty is a perfect description.

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
I think we are looking at this toilet paper thing the wrong way. Maybe after doing the business, one used the first toilet paper first and then the second toilet paper for leftovers. :eek: