ADeck corridors

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Smith

Dec 5, 2001
I don't know that the Queen Mary's Long Gallery necessarily had to have been inspired by the Olympic; I believe many mansions ashore had rooms that were somewhat similar in layout (on a smaller scale)--long, relatively narrow, and provided with some furniture while still serving primarily to connect two more prominent rooms.

Even if the Olympic class A-deck corridors were wide enough to accomodate furniture, I doubt they'd be very pleasant sitting areas simply because of the volume of traffic going through those spaces. Remember that with the A-deck promenade on the Olympic class either partially or fully unenclosed, those corridors were the only way that first-class passengers could move from room to room without getting cold or wet in bad weather. On the Queen Mary, by contrast, any traffic through the Long Gallery was to a great extent siphoned off by alternate passages through the corresponding Starboard Gallery or the enclosed promenades. With a reduced traffic flow, the ship's designers felt more comfortable broadening the room to 20 feet, putting in some furniture, and designating the room as a lounge.

For a look at Queen Mary's long gallery, follow this link:

http://www.sterling.rmplc.co.uk/visions/lgallery.html

--Jim

Steve Olguin

Mar 31, 2005
Jim,
Yes I am fully aware of that website, been aware of it since it was over at queenmary.org (for some odd reason they wont allow me to join their yahoo group) But if you look at the deckplans you can see alot of design insperation taken from the Mauretania "class" ships as well as the Olympic "class" in terms of general layout.

I dont believe these corridors on the Olympic would have furniture in them either.

L

Luke Mack

the Queen Mary was just an enlarged version of aquitania and Berengarias best features....you must remember The first Queen was very conservative. The Auatania and Berengaria were very popular and sucsessful ships when the Queen Mary was being designed.

James Smith

Dec 5, 2001
Hi Steve--

I have no problem conceding that the Olympic class may have provided some inspiration for later ships. They were a great design for the period.

My questions come up when someone take particular features on later ships and attributes their presence solely to the fact that a corresponding space existed on another ship. Mark may have a source for claiming that the Olympic's A-deck corridor was the inspiration for the Aquitania's--hopefully he'll chime in with the source--but barring that, I remain skeptical. The rooms seem, to me, to be just too fundamentally different.

The Olympic certainly wasn't the first ship to have a long, ornately paneled corridor, and the Mary's (or for that matter, the Aquitania's) Long Gallery has land-based counterparts that predate it by nearly 200 years (If you've ever sat through all six hours of the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice--which I don't necessarily recommend!--one such room exists in the house they used for the Pemberley scenes).

I wouldn't mind being proven wrong, but from what little evidence I've seen one could as easily claim that the Queen Mary's Long Gallery was inspired by the Oceanic or the Lusitania or Buckingham Palace as you could claim it inspired by the Olympic.

--Jim

Jan 5, 2001
Hi Jim,

Mark may have a source for claiming that the Olympic's A-deck corridor was the inspiration for the Aquitania's--hopefully he'll chime in with the source--but barring that, I remain skeptical.

See appendix V of my RMS Olympic book. Page 301 has the relevant text: '...the corridor running between the lounge and the aft grand staircase and smoke room was considered for use on the Aquitania. When she entered service, she had a so-called "Long Gallery." '

It's part of a detailed set of observations about Olympic's design and accommodations that I found in archival documents. To the best of my knowledge, none of this had been published before.

The original sources I used are not readily accessible to me at the moment, but it doesn't quite say that it was inspired solely by Olympic. Cunard seem to have been thinking 'yes, Olympic's corridor here is a nice idea...let's enlarge one on the Aquitania and use it as a long gallery...' Certainly I remember that was the impression from the documentation Cunard produced. It would have been nice to reproduce some more documents in their entirety (as well as Chief Engineer Bell's report, for instance), but for various reasons (primarily space) it wasn't possible.

Best regards,

Mark.

Steve Olguin

Mar 31, 2005
I dont have a photo of it, but I do have a 3D rendering complete with paneling and tile (minus the revolving door. It gives a good since of scale. let me know if ya want to see it and i'll upload a few screen shots.

Steve Olguin

Mar 31, 2005
well heres the rendering anyways.... mind you this was for the Britannic (yes the floor is wrong shoot me) so their is more bulkhead added for the Organ. This is only used as a backdrop for my cafe model so there is no revolving door, door to the Lounge, door to the R and W room, etc... but I used Bruce's plans which are not exactly to scale but are pretty damn close. This will give you and idea of the scale and width of the hall.

nerw2_copy1.jpg

Steve Olguin

Mar 31, 2005
Hey Luke,
Thanks for the kind words, but judging by the other 3d models, I am very bad. This program is somewhat limited in its capabilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.