Adeck Promenade question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nigel Bryant

Jan 14, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
Hi,
I know this may be a difficult question to ask. I have noticed on A-deck promenade just behind the forward curve of the open promenade,just under where the lifeboat 1 and 2 are swung out ( It is on both Port and Starboard sides). There is a thick wire line going from the curve and ends at the second outrigger. It extends under the first four plate glass windows. It is wried because every time I see this thing it is always in a different arrangement. You can see it in many Titanic books including "Ken Marshall's Art of Titanic" on pg 93 and on Leo's Marriott's Titanic book on 65. It is on many of Ken Marshall's paintings and on many photographic archives of the ship.Does anyone know what this thing is and what is it's purpose?

Regards Nigel Bryant

S

Steve Kiger

There is a sounding spar, used to check the water depth under the keel, attached under the first lifeboat. The lines may be part of the gear associated with the sounding spar.

Dan Cherry

Dec 14, 1999
Steve,
I checked E.E. O'Donnell's book Last Days of Titanic showing the picture of the sounding spar in use. I don't see any cable running from the spar to the superstructure; however, that doesn't mean the cable wasn't utilized with the sounding spar. It does, though, seem to be too far forward to be of any use with the spar.
The Lord Kelvin Sounding Machine was stored inboard of the spar (abreast of the forward davit for #4 (p) and #3 (s) lifeboats) and I only see a few lines contained with the spar and bulkhead leading to the area of the sounding machine.
Thoughts?

S

Steve Kiger

Well that was my best guess. How about the lines connecting the coaling outrigger booms?

Status
Not open for further replies.