Advertised ticket prices

gordon atkin

Mar 18, 2006
Ticket prices seem to vary quite a lot - did the White Star Line advertise fixed prices for the different classes of passengers and where would I be able to find this information?
Many thanks in anticipation.

Gordon

[Moderator's Note: This thread, originally placed in a different topic, has been moved to this pre-exiting subtopic addressing the same subject. MAB]

Dec 6, 2000
Hello Gordon,

Yes they did. There is a 1st Class Fare Rate booklet available from the Titanic Historical Society:
7C's - White Star Line First Class Passage Rates Olympic and Titanic
I have previously outlined some fares. If you do a search using the word Fares this should highlight some.
2nd Class: According to a 2nd Class Rates booklet fares were 13 pounds = $65 per adult. - The outside rooms on D-deck were 13 pounds 10 shillings = $67.50 per adult.

3rd Class: The 3rd Class fares are problematical in that they do not seem to take account of Rail Fares. - see below. - the 2nd one is for the "return voyage".

112515.jpg

112516.jpg

Hope that helps.

gordon atkin

Mar 18, 2006
Many thanks again Lester for the info which has been very helpful. As a new 'enthusiast' I'm trying to improve my knowledge on certain aspects which interest me.
Incidently, following your last message re the Relief Fund, I have ordered a copy of the booklet you mentioned.
Best wishes
Gordon

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
The rates charged for 3rd Class are difficult to fathom. The British boarding at Southampton might be expected to have the cheapest tickets, but they were charged more than most, with the vast majority paying £8 1s. A few paid less - generally either £7 11s (no apparent geographical correlation) or £7 5s - that applied to some, but not all of those starting out from Devon or Cornwall, which are quite remote from Southampton.

The Danes paid more than anyone else, at £9 or £9 10s, while the Norwegians and Swedes (who had further to travel) generally paid around £7 15s 6d. For the distant Balkans, £7 17s 11d was the norm irrespective of boarding at Cherbourg or Southampton, while the Lebanese, who had further to come but all boarded at Cherbourg, typically paid £7 4s 6d. Cheapest of all were the tickets bought in Portugal, which cost £7 1s.

And absolutely nobody paid the advertised price of £7 9s!

Dec 6, 2000
Greetings Bob,

The breakdown into regions is most interesting. - Thank you appreciated.

The advertised 3rd Class Rail Fare from London to Southampton was 6/- and from Paris to Cherbourg 15/11. - With the Fare from Plymouth to London set at 18/8.

Hope you are keeping well,
Lester

Dec 6, 2000
Hello Gordon,

You are welcome. I hope you will find the Relief Fund booklet to be of interest. -
Be prepared for a shock at the size of some of the families: Cacic, L. - Widow and 9 children.
With the Crew in most cases the children are named.

Regards,
Lester

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Hallo, Lester. I'm well and hoping you are too, but old age is creeping up on me so I missed a typo in my post above. The Danes actually paid £7 17s 11d, only a little more than the other Scandinavians and strangely the same as the Balkans rate. Those very costly tickets at £9 and (mostly) £9 10s were bought by, of all people, the Belgians, who were just a short ferry ride away from England.

Another oddity is that the Lebanese, Palestinians and Armenians were charged either £7 4s 6d or £7 4s 7d. I wonder what those who splashed out on the £7 4s 7d tickets got for their extra penny?!

Dec 6, 2000
Not too badly thank you.

>>but old age is creeping up on me<< - Me to! More so with the cold weather!!!!

>> I wonder what those who splashed out on the £7 4s 7d tickets got for their extra penny?!<< -
A bed in a room with a porthole?

Dec 6, 2000
Hello Bob [and Gordon],

Bob, what you posted about who paid what and where they came from got me wondering. My initial suspicion is that many may have paid for trips on ships other than Titanic. - In the case of the Syrian passengers I recall reading something to the effect that they were put on the 1st available ship.

The CTL [that is the Contract Ticket List] has several columns. The column headed "Ocean Fare" is not in fact the Ocean Fare Rate, it includes "Forwarding" which I read as "Rail Fare". There are also columns headed "Commissions" and "Nett Total Passage Money". My reading is that passengers paid the Rail Fares on top on the actual Ocean Fare, with Commission being deducted from what they paid before arriving at the Nett Passage Money, which in several cases does = £7.9/-.

I do not believe that the passengers paid the "Agent's" Commission on top of their fares. - That did not happen with 1st Class. - Mr Ovies paid the Minimum Fare from Paris £27.14.5. With "Comm" of £1.19.1, "Fwd" of £1.14.3 = Nett of £24.1.1.
As an example Sarah Roth paid £8.1/-, less Commission of 6/- and Forwarding of 6/- = Nett Fare of £7.9/-. Other £8.1/- fares only have "Comm" of 6/- with Nett = £7.15/-

The Scandinavians, have added columns. A column originally headed "Inland Ticket" has "Supplementary Refunds" written at the top. A number of passengers have 16/- [or multiples thereof] in that column. So Carla Anderson £7.16.1, with 16/-. "Forwarding" shows as 10/8, with another new column "Board" showing 5/9. The Nett figure of £7.8/- is reduced to £6.4.8.

>>> Bob, I am having problems locating Danes who paid: £9 or £9 10s. - Can you please re-confirm. - Might you mean Belgiums?

Erik Jussila: £7.18.6 - [ No 16/- ] - "Forwarding" shows as 12/9, with another new column "Board" showing 7/6. The Nett figure is £6.18.3.
Antti Leinonen: £7.18.6, with 16/-. "Forwarding" shows as 12/9, with another new column "Board" showing 7/6. The Nett figure of £6.18.3 is reduced to £6.2.3.

Take ticket numbers 347073 to 347076. 073 paid £7.15/-. The other 3 - £7.15.6. Those 3 all show 16/- [the old heading of "No of Inland Ticket" remains] with all 3 having "Fwd" of 12/7 and "Board" of 6/3. 073 has Nett of £6.16.2 with the other 3 as £6.16.8 reduced to £6.0.8.

The Continentals: I note that some from Belgium paid: £9.10/-, with 16/-. "Comm" 15/- "Fwd" £1.3/-, "Board" showing 4/3. The Nett figure of £7.7.9 is reduced to £6.11.9.

Luka Cacic: £8.13.3, with 15/8. "Comm" 15/6, "Fwd" 8/5, "Board" 4/- and 6 & a halfpence. The Nett figure of £7.11/- and 9 & a halfpence is reduced to £6.9/- and 1 & halfpence.

Continentals at Cherbourg:
Something of a mishmash of figures and Commissions; with only two having an amount in the "Forwarding" column. Several non-Syrians have 2/9 in the "Board" column.
The Peter family shows as £22.7.2, with "Comm" of £1.2/- & 16/- , "Fwd" of £7.3.8, "Board" of £5.10.7 = Nett of £7.14.11.
Nasif Abilmona and Master Hassan: £18.15.9, with "Commissions" of 12/- & £1.4.9, "Fwd" of £6.18.11, = Nett of £10.0.1.

Queenstown:
A number of the Fares show as 2 amounts. A figure of £7.12.7 with an "extra" of 4/- or 5/-. These pages are quite different. With a few showing "Commission" of 1/- and the bulk larger figures of 6/- or 6/- and a few pennies.

There is also a page headed "Foreign". So Mrs Ahlin previously showed as 5/- and prepaid, which on the "Foreign" page shows as £9.4.6. "Fwd" £2.0.10, "Board" 6/3. There is no "Nett" column.

In 2nd Class JD Jarvis paid £15. - "Comm" 15/- = Nett of £14.5/-. Mrs & Miss Christie £30. - "Comm" £1.10/- = Nett of £28.10/-. There are also bizarre figures in 1st Class. Mrs Robert seems to have been well and truly overcharged. Although a number of passengers show as having the Restaurant Rebate the Messrs Carran only paid £47.2/-. While they must have had the RR taken off, it does not show. All that features is "Fwd" £1.2/- = Nett = £46.

How to interpret all of the above is the question? -
Bob you need a full copy of the CTL. In the meantime I am going to take 2 panadol.

Hope it is of interest and that I have entered all of the figures correctly.
With my best wishes,
Lester

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Many thanks, Lester - I knew you'd have that kind of detail if anyone did! Yes, I did get the Danes and Belgians mixed up - see my second post above where (I thought!) I'd corrected that. I'm going to invest in a whole packet of Panadol, then try to make sense of it all. I hope one day to get to grips with Einstein's General Theory of Relativity, so this will be good practice. :) I'll be in touch by email very soon.

Dec 6, 2000
Hello Bob,

Thank you! - Yes you did correct Danes to Belgians. Missed that when I was going off my trolley, trying to make sense of the CTL. - My copy takes up a whole box and each page is in 4 parts, so it is fun trying to line it all up. As for the end Summaries and Totals along with a number of other problems!!!!!

Lester

Ray Hallock

Jul 21, 2006
I have several questions regarding this topic.

Does anyone know the date when tickets went on sale? That would likely have occurred once a tentative sailing schedule had been identified.

When a ticket was purchased, did it include the buyer's name or address?

If I had purchased a ticket and gave or sold it to my friend, Boa Snake, could Boa have boarded using the ticket?

And finally, how did one obtain a ticket? Was it necessary to visit a White Star office, or could you simply receive one via the mail?

Many thanks.

[Moderator's note: This post, originally posted in a separate thread has been moved to the pre-existing one on the same subject. JDT]