Advice on best Titanic book?

Arun Vajpey

Arun Vajpey

There is a cheap omnibus edition published by Dover Maritime Press
Could this be the book that you are alluding to? I have had this for 30+ years and yes, it is very good value.

Reactions: Samuel Halpern, Jason D. Tiller and Seumas
Jason D. Tiller

Jason D. Tiller

Staff member
Oh, okay, thanks 4 letting me know. My words can be "to whom it may concern" then.
We're not that formal here. Your best bet is to simply be aware of the date/year, that the member posted on. Also, you can hover over other member's profiles with your cursor to see when they were last online, if that helps. :)

Last edited:
M.A.S.

M.A.S.

3rd class
If you don't mind the E version you can read his book on the link below for free.. I prefer regular books as opposed to the E-versions but I know many like the new style and only read E-books now. But I'm old school...kinda stuck in the past when comes to some things. Cheers.
Cool! :O I'll try the Gutenberg one... seems appropriate to read about ice-bergs on Guten-berg. I have so many other books checked out right now (sitting down to read a good book is preferable, yeah!) Thank you. :)

M.A.S.

M.A.S.

3rd class
We're not that formal here. Your best bet is to simply be aware of the date/year, that the member posted on. Also, you can hover over other member's profiles with your cursor to see when they were last online, if that helps. :)
Good 2 know, thank you! Y'all have been so welcoming and helpful, and I just got here! :D

M.A.S.

M.A.S.

3rd class
There is a cheap omnibus edition published by Dover Maritime Press (there are also a lot of second hand copies available online) that contains Beesley's book, Gracie's book and the chapters from Lightoller's biography that deal exclusively with the Titanic. A good book to have and inexpensive too :)
Good 2 know, thanks! :D

M.A.S.

M.A.S.

3rd class
I find this interesting... the same year in which On a Sea of Glass was published (2012, the centennial), another book was published: 10 True Tales: Titanic -- Young Survivors by Allan Zullo. It's interesting because I wonder if the author read On a Sea of Glass first... or was there a well-known consensus that Titanic survivors thought the sea looked like glass? In the first of the 10 stories--Edith Brown--it describes it this way: "Before dinner that evening, the family braved the chill for a quick stroll and admired the beautiful sunset that had turned the glasslike sea a vibrant gold." (Zullo, 19). I'm trying to envision what made it so glass-looking. Was it the look of waveless stillness, perhaps reflectiveness, etc.? Was it something about how the ship would be breaking through, shattering the sea open? I tend to think poetically to dream up poems from what I read, so this is why I'm hyper-focusing on such a little detail. And yet it was critical enough to form a title out of it. Til I read it too, can someone whet my appetite with a quote about the "sea of glass" descriptions? I hope you can find something to share. :) Thank you.

Steven Christian

Steven Christian

Cool! :O I'll try the Gutenberg one... seems appropriate to read about ice-bergs on Guten-berg. I have so many other books checked out right now (sitting down to read a good book is preferable, yeah!) Thank you. :)
Your Welcome. There are other books on that site about Titanic you can read also for free. Gracie, Logan Marshall ect...

Reactions: M.A.S.