Age of Majority

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 12, 2004
Bob, Paul,

I was just taking Monica's word for the "silly" part, but now after hearing about the chamber pot, I can see that it's not funny at all (Ooh, it'll take forever to get that image out of my head now, hehe).

I wouldn't let the word get out about the killing-the-Welshmen law. If the wrong people caught wind of it, the Welsh are liable to find a slew of dead comrades, riddled with arrows, lying throughout the hilltops every Sunday. There will be no stopping it!
wink.gif
, hehe.

Still, we can see that such laws are obviously out-of-place and inapplicable.

Some crazy laws here, too: Florida state law still in effect (as far as I know): It is illegal to chain your pet alligator to a fire hydrant (I think that's right). I don't need to explain that one, if it can be explained.

Jun 12, 2004
I take it, Paul, that you don't enjoy your work. It's exciting it you make it so. I've never worked in a financial institution, but I've seen that it requires particular types of people.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Already Ellie's post has been reported in Country Life and the English aristocracy are very excited. After fox hunting was banned they've had nothing to do on Sundays until now.

Paul Rogers

Jun 1, 2000
West Sussex, UK
Mark, don't get me wrong; I do enjoy my job. In fact, I could be described as quite passionate about it. However I also recognise the glazed look that crosses people's faces whenever I talk about it (which is a problem, as I'm normally training them at the time...).

"I've never worked in a financial institution, but I've seen that it requires particular types of people."

Yep. I'm one of 'em!

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Don't put yourself down, Paul. I remember how on the ET outing last year you held us enthralled with your tales of life in financial services.

119579.jpg

Jun 12, 2004
Already Ellie's post has been reported in Country Life and the English aristocracy are very excited. After fox hunting was banned they've had nothing to do on Sundays until now.
Uh oh, look out.

Bí­onn dhá insint ar scéal agus dhá leagan déag ar amhrán.
By the way, Ellie, I've been wondering what this is. Is it Gaelic? Just curious.

However I also recognise the glazed look that crosses people's faces whenever I talk about it (which is a problem, as I'm normally training them at the time...)
Maybe they're not "the right kind" of people.
wink.gif
I'm not saying I would be, but I can appreciate other's passion in their work.

When I was in college, some graduate friends of mine from other fields thought I was weird because I actually enjoyed literature and writing. Now, as a freelance writer, I don't have benefits, but I work by myself and I enjoy my work and set my own schedules. I still edit and tutor/teach from time to time, too. It's never perfect, but if you enjoy what you do, the rest just falls into place.

Jun 12, 2004
Ellie:

Seems to sum up Titanic testimony quite perfectly.
wink.gif

By the way, since we're talking about Age of Consent and Age of Majority in this thread, what can you say about how things go in Scotland? I know that the discussion was originally regarding the time of the Titanic, but apparently, current issues came out, too.

Apr 2, 2007
Hi Mark,

Well, I've only lived in Scotland for 9 months, but I know that the Age of Consent here for marriage is 16.

I've seen some frighteningly young people getting engaged here, splitting up at the drop of a hat, then getting back together when a larger ring was offered.

My partner runs a hotel here and we get teens that look barely 13 sitting out in the street in gangs, trying to sneak past us to use the Ladies Loo as a "heavy petting" boudoir. And Lockerbie isn't a bad area.

Frankly, I think it's a wee bit scary.
happy.gif

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
A couple can be married in England also at age 16, but only with the parents' consent. In Scotland no such consent is needed, thus the fame of Gretna Green, the first village over the border, as the destination for young eloping couples. And back in 1912 the runaways could be very young indeed. As stated above, theoretically the boy could be 14 and the girl as young as 12. That's more than a wee bit scary!

Paul Rogers

Jun 1, 2000
West Sussex, UK
Bob, I still maintain that the reason everyone dozed off during my raconteuring was because of the exceptionally heavy Korean-style lunch, which you organised, I believe?

Tasty, though.

119582.jpg

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
OK, don't rub it in. I went to a lot of trouble with that lunch, how was I know we'd never be able to catch it.

Jun 12, 2004
Yes! That does sound scary. However, even though 16 is still young, there is a big difference between 13/14 and 16/17, which explains why 16 is a common AOC for sex and 13/14 isn't.

Oooo, boy! Talk about a lunch that could bite back! I don't care what anybody says, I will not eat anything that can (1) look back up at me from the plate, (2) respond back to me, or (3) get up and walk away. It just isn't done.

Jun 11, 2000
"...it's perfectly legal to kill a Welshman, as long as its Sunday, he's on a hill and you do it with a bow and arrow."
Now this is just the sort of useful law one really needs to know. Tried to lure my friend, Hywel, into a Sunday stroll on Box Hill but he seemed a bit suspicious and refused. When I confessed, he chiefly appeared interested in under what conditions it is legal to kill a Scotsman. I don't think he has Scotsmen in general in mind, I think it's just the Chancellor.

Paul Rogers

Jun 1, 2000
West Sussex, UK
"I don't think he has Scotsmen in general in mind, I think it's just the Chancellor."

It would appear that Hywel is not alone in seeking the demise of Gordon. The following was taken from a website called The Voice of Reason:
The Home Office had to admit last night that it has lost track of as many as 17 schizophrenics who believe that Gordon Brown is the devil incarnate and has to be assassinated.

This is just the latest in an upcoming long line of further problems expected to be announced over the coming months.

John Reid is expected to challenge Gordon Brown for leader of the Labour Party when Tony Blair resigns later in the year, but only if Brown lives that long.....

Status
Not open for further replies.